Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Film: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher-American)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:56 pm 
Got Some

I enjoyed it as well. The acting was great, the film score added a lot of atmosphere.

Spoiler: show
It does drag a little at the end just as the book does. To me, the true climax of the story is when Martin crashes his car. I never really cared much about the Wennerstrom stuff...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 am 
Unthought Known

the girl was really good, but the plot was pretty boring and obvious to me. doesnt work well as a thriller or mystery. and it does have some pacing problems. pretty brutal though. shes fucks dudes up!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:10 am 
Got Some

It was hard for me to be critical of the plot since I had read the book and pretty much knew what was coming. I'd be interested to hear what someone who hasn't read the book thought as to whether or not it was predictable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:36 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

I really like the Immigrant Song version.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:33 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

Human Bass wrote:
I really like the Immigrant Song version.

its really good
great night-driving song

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 am 
losing relevance

I really liked it, just brutal in some parts though

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:01 pm 
Unthought Known

Dev wrote:
just brutal in some parts though

nothing makes me feel like a creep more than watching an extended anal rape in a crowded theater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:29 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

bmacsmith wrote:
Dev wrote:
just brutal in some parts though

nothing makes me feel like a creep more than watching an extended anal rape in a crowded theater

:?

I went and saw it the morning after it came out at 1130 am. Me and about 3 other people. uncomfortable to say the least. I think I was more uncomfortable with the forced bj scene.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:03 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

I got wrapped up in the story and filmmaking and between the uncommon (for an American) names and the relatively large quantity of information being thrown at the audience, I didn't find it predictable. So I enjoyed it quite a bit from a filmmaking perspective. Powerful stuff, as always, from Fincher.

I give them a big thumbs up for not converting this to an American/English setting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:30 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ensign9 wrote:
I got wrapped up in the story and filmmaking and between the uncommon (for an American) names and the relatively large quantity of information being thrown at the audience, I didn't find it predictable. So I enjoyed it quite a bit from a filmmaking perspective. Powerful stuff, as always, from Fincher.

I give them a big thumbs up for not converting this to an American/English setting.

THIS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am 
Got Some

durdencommatyler wrote:
Even that 8 minute trailer is better than the Swedish film.

i think you just like Fincher's balls way too much.

never even heard of the book/movie before and just watched the Swedish film last week. it was good. not great...although not many films are...just good.

commence the sucking!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 am 
Supersonic

Red Mosquitoes wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Even that 8 minute trailer is better than the Swedish film.

i think you just like Fincher's balls way too much.

never even heard of the book/movie before and just watched the Swedish film last week. it was good. not great...although not many films are...just good.

commence the sucking!

Well, I fully admit that I'm a Fincher fanboy. Absolutely. And why not? The guy just makes killer films. However you want to rank them: Fight Club, Se7en, Zodiac, The Social Network and Benjamin Button are all outstanding works. There are plenty of directors out there that wish they could have even one of those films are their resume.

But my comment that you quoted was made having read the book. And that 8 minute trailer is more interesting and more faithful to the book than the Swedish film was. At least, in my opinion. The Swedish film is fine, especially if you haven't read the book. But as an adaptation it leaves a lot to be desired. It missed the point in a lot of major ways.

We'll see if Fincher makes similar mistakes. He's not infallible, after all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:40 am 
Unthought Known

i think what annoyed me most about this movie is that it went out of its way to tell us how interesting and evil the family was, and how we are going to meet them all and there will be a huge mystery over which one did it, but instead we get Skarsgard, an old guy with two lines of dialogue, and two completely uninteresting women with about as many lines. gee, i wonder which one is the bad guy? maybe the guy who is evil in every movie he is in? oh but she is really alive? what a twist!

i dont know i think Fincher can do better. maybe the directors cut is good, but this felt like a classic case of trying to cram everything in the book into a movie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:23 am 
Unthought Known

bmacsmith wrote:
i think what annoyed me most about this movie is that it went out of its way to tell us how interesting and evil the family was, and how we are going to meet them all and there will be a huge mystery over which one did it, but instead we get Skarsgard, an old guy with two lines of dialogue, and two completely uninteresting women with about as many lines. gee, i wonder which one is the bad guy? maybe the guy who is evil in every movie he is in? oh but she is really alive? what a twist!

i dont know i think Fincher can do better. maybe the directors cut is good, but this felt like a classic case of trying to cram everything in the book into a movie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 pm 
Supersonic

I Hail Randy Moss wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

Frankly, the book isn't entirely different on that score. But that stuff is hardly the point, either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:48 pm 
Unthought Known

durdencommatyler wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

Frankly, the book isn't entirely different on that score. But that stuff is hardly the point, either.

i enjoyed the two leads, and her story, as disturbing as it was, was great. one of the best revenge scenes in history! but it felt like it limped along after that. all in all i thought it was ok.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 pm 
Supersonic

bmacsmith wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

i enjoyed the two leads, and her story, as disturbing as it was, was great. one of the best revenge scenes in history! but it felt like it limped along after that. all in all i thought it was ok.

That's a pretty accurate account of the book as well. I guess I'm just hoping Fincher's visuals and pacing elevate the film above the previous adaptation and the novel itself.

I'll see it soon enough. I'll be as neutral and open to the experience as possible. But it'll be hard to suspend my undying love for the director. The move is actually going to have to work to lose me. I'm already on board!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Just saw this again...some thoughts:

Roony Mara was a better Lizbeth & Craig was perfect as Blomquist. They made the movie for me. I really hope this does good enough to get "Played with fire" made, because it's the best of the three.

They didn't give you enough options as to who the killer may be. In the book there were a few more maybes, I thought it was the nosy woman for a bit in the book.

When I heard he was going to change the ending I thought it would be more then just having the London girl actually be Harriet.

They did zero with the magazine & knowing a bit about those people would help in the next one.

people are saying this drags a bit, but I hope they put an additional half hour into the directors cut. This trilogy would have been well served as an HBO series.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:56 pm 
On the bright side

Just saw this. Was really good, but I didn't care for the r*pe scene.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I just finished the book. Even though I'm a huge Fincher fan, I don't know if I can bring myself to sit through this junk story again. It's horribly written, has almost zero characterization, and has more deus ex machinas than three King novels and more cliches than 10 Michael Bay movies. It's just so fucking amateur. Why so many people like it is beyond me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment