Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: [MOVIE] Green Lantern 2011
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:33 pm 
Supersonic

I need to watch the offcial trailer before I make up my mind, or at least before I feel really comfortable forming any kind of honest opinion, but based on the behind the scenes stuff I've seen, and the snippets of the trailer I've caught, this thing looks like more of a parody to me. The vibe feels weird. Hopefully, the trailer adjusts my perceptions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:07 pm 
Poney Girl

The thing with comic book movies, is that more often than not the comic book geek will go and see it no matter what. But because of big mainstream hits like Bat-man, Spiderman, and Iron-Man. The industry wants to try and duplicate those numbers, and most the time trying to do that off of the not so well known characters wont translate to the mainstream that easy.

I'll be seeing it regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 am 
Supersonic

The trailer doesn't look terrible. That's a good sign. But, still, there is something about the tone that feels frivolous to me.

But I'm willing to give it a fair shake. I'll see it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:46 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Armageddon/Deep Impact
Volcano/Dante's Peak
Green Hornet/Green Lantern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:09 pm 
In a van down by the river

eh, i think green hornet is much closer to batman than GL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am 
Unthought Known

This has the potential to be DC's Daredevil.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Every girl in the world fell asleep when I hit play on the trailer. :|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

durdencommatyler wrote:
The trailer doesn't look terrible. That's a good sign. But, still, there is something about the tone that feels frivolous to me.

The one article I was reading over on Ain't It Cool, he was insisting that despite the too jokey tone from the trailer, he'd read the whole script and if they succeed in getting most of what was on the page on screen, it will deliver as a solid, serious comic book action flick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:21 am 
Coast to Coast

They took some serious artistic license with the depiction of Hal Jordan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
They took some serious artistic license with the depiction of Hal Jordan.

you think? id say maybe a little but not as drastic as some may think. hal is definitely a smartass, but not as over the top as ryan is portraying him (least from what i seen of the trailer)

also interesting that the studio asked superherohype to remove the paralax pic/design. if the leaks i have heard about come across in the moving picture half as well as it seems, this movie will satisfy the comic geek and the im here to see ryan fan club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:16 pm 
Supersonic

Samwise wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

The one article I was reading over on Ain't It Cool, he was insisting that despite the too jokey tone from the trailer, he'd read the whole script and if they succeed in getting most of what was on the page on screen, it will deliver as a solid, serious comic book action flick.

That's really good to hear. Not everything needs to have the weight of Nolan's Batman films, but I do like when the character/the world of the character feels grounded. I'm missing that feeling from the trailer. But, as I said, I'll see it and decide.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/green-l ... 1#belowNav

Well they really seem to have done well in turning the vibe on this around, I know so many people seemed put off by that first trailer that it was way too schticky, but pretty much every new one since then (including the new one above that just came out) shows a TOTALLY different tone.

Something I've been wondering about, and as I know very little of GL from the comics... the little mantra Jordan speaks, "From brightest day, to blackest night..." -- is that the way the original saying does go? Only because, it would also seem perfectly natural for that line to be "to darkest night" instead of blackest, but I wondered if maybe that changed that one detail to steer away from Batman.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:13 am 

Samwise wrote:
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/green-lantern.html?showVideo=1#belowNav

Well they really seem to have done well in turning the vibe on this around, I know so many people seemed put off by that first trailer that it was way too schticky, but pretty much every new one since then (including the new one above that just came out) shows a TOTALLY different tone.

Something I've been wondering about, and as I know very little of GL from the comics... the little mantra Jordan speaks, "From brightest day, to blackest night..." -- is that the way the original saying does go? Only because, it would also seem perfectly natural for that line to be "to darkest night" instead of blackest, but I wondered if maybe that changed that one detail to steer away from Batman.

blackest night is correct. it has a major tie in to the comics these days as there are different corps of different color now.

green = will
yellow = fear
red = rage
purple = love
indigo = compassion
blue = hope
black = death

the black lanterns army rising to take over the universe is a legend called blackest night. thats not where the oath comes from but was retconned and was one hell of a good read

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:33 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Peeps wrote:
the black lanterns army rising to take over the universe is a legend called blackest night. thats not where the oath comes from but was retconned and was one hell of a good read

GL has been nothing but amazing reading since Geoff Johns took the job, and is involved in the movie. I´m expecting great things from this

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:58 am 
Johnny Guitar

Peeps wrote:
Samwise wrote:

blackest night is correct. it has a major tie in to the comics these days as there are different corps of different color now.

green = will
yellow = fear
red = rage
purple = love
indigo = compassion
blue = hope
black = death

indeed, at least I digged it.

haven't gotten into Brightest Day yet

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:10 am 

YouMeanCoitus? wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Samwise wrote:

green = will
yellow = fear
red = rage
purple = love
indigo = compassion
blue = hope
black = death

birghtest day has been a good read so far (i only collect the HC of them dont buy the single issues)

yes, johns has been spectacular on GL, hes meh on flash though, least imo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Peeps wrote:
YouMeanCoitus? wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Samwise wrote:

green = will
yellow = fear
red = rage
purple = love
indigo = compassion
blue = hope
black = death

birghtest day has been a good read so far (i only collect the HC of them dont buy the single issues)

yes, johns has been spectacular on GL, hes meh on flash though, least imo

Geoff has been outstanding with incorporating his vision for the GL world and maintaining even through the other titles/minis.

My friend still collects so I wait til he has a nice stack then I borrow and dive in. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:34 am 
Got Some

going to see this tonight. no expectations...guess that's a good way to go into a movie, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am 
Johnny Guitar

Welp, that happened.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 pm 
Got Some

one of the worst movies i have seen at the theater...right behind The Talented Mr Ripley.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment