Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:42 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
See, now I really regret not having read the books.

You should read them...The first three are really quick reads. It's not until you get to books 4 - 7 that they become super long (6, 7, 800 pages+).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:13 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

darth_vedder wrote:
thodoks wrote:

You should read them...The first three are really quick reads. It's not until you get to books 4 - 7 that they become super long (6, 7, 800 pages+).

Even the super long ones are quick reads.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:32 pm 
Unthought Known

cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Even the super long ones are quick reads.

True. I found 'Order' and 'Deathly' to go by a bit slower, but yeah, they were still pretty quick reads.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:37 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that i'm really disappointed with how J.K. Rowling handled the Lupin character. I really felt he was one of the most interesting characters of the series, but he became an afterthough almost after POA. To me, he was a far more intriguing character than Sirius Black. This movie just made me think about that again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:47 pm 
Unthought Known

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that i'm really disappointed with how J.K. Rowling handled the Lupin character. I really felt he was one of the most interesting characters of the series, but he became an afterthough almost after POA. To me, he was a far more intriguing character than Sirius Black. This movie just made me think about that again.

Yeah, Lupin was awesome. Who knows...we may see him in the form of a Prequel..the Lupin/Sirius/James/Wormtail adventures or something. Hasn't Rowling hinted at this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:49 pm 

darth_vedder wrote:

Yeah, Lupin was awesome. Who knows...we may see him in the form of a Prequel..the Lupin/Sirius/James/Wormtail adventures or something. Hasn't Rowling hinted at this?

I dunno about that, but i'll never forgive her for it. Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:22 pm 
Reissued

darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Man, this is making me want to re-read the books.

Me too. Although, I don't know if I want to read them all...I was thinking about just re-reading: Goblet, Half Blood, and Deathly.

I re-read 1-6 before the final book came out and it went surprisingly fast. Goblet, actually, was the one that took the longest. 1-3 are a breeze but are actually where I'm forgetting the most, plus they're really enjoyable in a lighthearted way. Goblet was my favorite to read at first but it bogs down a bit when you know the outcome--there's less of the interesting backstory here to figure out. Whereas Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince were great because the backstory is so rich. I only read Hallows once. I finished it in 24 hours though, which probably explains why I've forgotten so much.

I loved the Lupin character, but it makes sense, right? With him being a warewolf and all.
Spoiler: show
I'd like to see more of the backstory with him and Tonks though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:25 pm 
Spacegirl

mickey, due to your recent self assigned heavy workload of harry potter books and movies, have you had any sexual dreams involving emma watson, or perhaps even rupert grint?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:28 pm 

Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Me too. Although, I don't know if I want to read them all...I was thinking about just re-reading: Goblet, Half Blood, and Deathly.

I re-read 1-6 before the final book came out and it went surprisingly fast. Goblet, actually, was the one that took the longest. 1-3 are a breeze but are actually where I'm forgetting the most, plus they're really enjoyable in a lighthearted way. Goblet was my favorite to read at first but it bogs down a bit when you know the outcome--there's less of the interesting backstory here to figure out. Whereas Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince were great because the backstory is so rich. I only read Hallows once. I finished it in 24 hours though, which probably explains why I've forgotten so much.

I loved the Lupin character, but it makes sense, right? With him being a warewolf and all.

I really don't see how him being a werewolf would hinder him at least having a bigger role. I mean he was in the Order and all, but didn't really do much of significance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:32 pm 
Supersonic

I loved Lupin. But Sirius was my favorite HP character.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
I loved Lupin. But Sirius was my favorite HP character.

I've just always found Sirius overrated. I'm pretty much in the minority on that one, I know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm 
Reissued

Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I really don't see how him being a werewolf would hinder him at least having a bigger role. I mean he was in the Order and all, but didn't really do much of significance.

I mean, he does seem to purposely exclude himself for the safety of others. Also he was apparently with other werewolves, trying to recruit them to the order. I'd have loved to see more of him too, but it's not like he just disappeared for no reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm 

Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I mean, he does seem to purposely exclude himself for the safety of others. Also he was apparently with other werewolves, trying to recruit them to the order. I'd have loved to see more of him too, but it's not like he just disappeared for no reason.

Oh I know. I'm not saying there wasn't a reason. I still just wanted more as well. If that's all she intended him to be, then fine, but I think a greater role for him could have made the series that much better. Maybe the him and Tonks thing was meant to have more of an impact. It just didn't really add much to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 pm 
Reissued

Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Oh I know. I'm not saying there wasn't a reason. I still just wanted more as well. If that's all she intended him to be, then fine, but I think a greater role for him could have made the series that much better. Maybe the him and Tonks thing was meant to have more of an impact. It just didn't really add much to me.

Yeah. I'm actually planning to register for Pottermore when it opens in October. It sounded exceedingly dumb at first--like a social media play-along version of the books?--but apparently there's some 20,000 words of backstory on the site, including McGonegal's history and, I would assume, more about the relationship between Lupin and Tonks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm 

Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Yeah. I'm actually planning to register for Pottermore when it opens in October. It sounded exceedingly dumb at first--like a social media play-along version of the books?--but apparently there's some 20,000 words of backstory on the site, including McGonegal's history and, I would assume, more about the relationship between Lupin and Tonks.

Would you be up for visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando with me next summer?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:52 pm 
Reissued

Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Would you be up for visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando with me next summer?

I've already been. It's okay. There's more themed stores than there are actual attractions and Butterbeer is a letdown.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:07 pm 

Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I've already been. It's okay. There's more themed stores than there are actual attractions and Butterbeer is a letdown.

Well I must say i'm disappointed to hear that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm 
Unthought Known

Me too.

I want to make my own butterbeer. I'm thinking like a scotch candy brew that leans towards the malty side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Samwise wrote:

Btw, all this revelatory information reminds me, and speaking of things in the movies being poorly adapted, for non-book readers out there, I'd highly recommend at the very least checking out in Order Of The Phoenix book the 37th chapter ent

right on. I never tired of being looked at and called a nerd for being as into HP as I am and enjoying talking at great length about it.

The films I think, overall, where enjoyable and told a great story for what they were. If you only ever just watch them, you're still experiencing a fun and very interest narrative. Having said that, it's just that much better from the books' perspective. Though it's not as if this is a new revelation when it comes to comparing a film with the book on which it was based.

A funny detail regarding the length of each of the books: the first book is the shortest of the series and its film is the longest, meanwhile OOTP is the longest book, and its film is the shortest of the series. But, Chris Columbus did have the task in the first film of really taking some time to truly establish the entire universe in which the tale takes place. The actual driving story/mystery in Philosopher's Stone, there's actually not a whole lot to it.

Speaking of prequels and other stories, etc, not sure how many of you know this, Rowling did technically write a "prequel" if you want to call it that, it was in the news I think not long after book 7 arrived, but it was literally just like a one page story about one of the many misadventures that James and Sirius had as young men, they lead some police on a little chase, Lupin wasn't featured. I remember it was written on some special kind of paper, but the news story was it was sold at auction for charity, as in the original copy of course.

and okay speaking of Lupin, I only just came across this today, but it's a couple years old. A re-cut trailer for Half Blood Prince making it look like a teen sex comedy, it's pretty well done, but the really strange this is who made it -- the actor David Thewlis himself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:11 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

are the movies close to as good as the books? i read 1-4 then they skipped a summer before 5 and i lost interest. but i'm thinking of watching this whole series because it'll take less time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment