Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Modern television is much better than modern cinema
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 am 
AnalLog

If I'm comparing apples to apples and using absolute best tv shows and absolute best movies, movies win handily. We're only having this argument because tv shows just recently started to catch up to the best movies in terms of overall quality.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

The cream of modern Western television offerings is better than the cream of modern Western cinema offerings.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:38 am 
AnalLog

See, I disagree completely.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:31 am 
Reissued

bart d. wrote:
Mickey wrote:
First--six out of 20? You're kidding, right?

Second--those ratings are entirely misleading, they don't take into account any of the pay channels and there's nine reality shows on there, which I think it's safe to say have nothing to do with the discussion.

Pay channels get far, far less of an audience than the others, and I still don't see how you can say that television is better than movies and then instantly exclude the vast majority of what's on tv from consideration.

Also yes, six out of 20.

Because there's absolutely no point in comparing The Bachelor to even a movie as bad as The Help. If we included everything on TV then of course we wouldn't be having this discussion because even the worst movie is better than watching Fox News or a Marlins game. Who would even argue that? I thought it would be self-evident that we're talking about dramatic television vs. dramatic movies. If you're going to include all of television then you'd have to include all of film--like yoga DVDs--but of course we're not going to do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 am 
Reissued

Orpheus wrote:
If I'm comparing apples to apples and using absolute best tv shows and absolute best movies, movies win handily. We're only having this argument because tv shows just recently started to catch up to the best movies in terms of overall quality.

Is this about absolute bests? I'm not even sure we can make that argument. It'd be like claiming that a short story is better than a novel--you might like it better, but they're really different entities that deserve to be valued on their own terms. I thought this was relative bests--as in, there are more quality TV shows relative to the whole of dramatic television than there are quality movies relative to the whole of feature films.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:35 am 
Spacegirl

bart's gotta upgrade his 25" tube tv.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:43 am 
Unthought Known

Mickey wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

Is this about absolute bests? I'm not even sure we can make that argument. It'd be like claiming that a short story is better than a novel--you might like it better, but they're really different entities that deserve to be valued on their own terms. I thought this was relative bests--as in, there are more quality TV shows relative to the whole of dramatic television than there are quality movies relative to the whole of feature films.

in that case, films obliterate TV without question.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:55 am 
Reissued

bmacsmith wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

in that case, films obliterate TV without question.

So now that we've removed reality Tv, it's definitely movies? Explain

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 am 
AnalLog

Mickey wrote:
If we included everything on TV then of course we wouldn't be having this discussion because even the worst movie is better than watching Fox News or a Marlins game. Who would even argue that?

The fact that you said this tells me you have no idea how awful (and how excellent) some movies are these days.

And only drama applies? That leaves out what I consider probably the highest quality tv show of all time--Arrested Development.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:07 am 
AnalLog

Also the person to mention the most shows mentioned what, eight? Of those I might agree with half. I sure as shit saw at least eight very good/great movies from this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:48 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

vegman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
how do you people not watch movies in theaters? get out of your homes!

Meh. Too expensive. Audiences suck - rude, talking, texting, smoking. Better things to do. Can basically have a better "movie theater going experience" at home with modern technology. Homemade popcorn is better. I prefer live theater.

Smoking? I haven't seen anyone smoke in a theater since the 80's. Maybe the early 90's.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone do this since I was a little kid.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 am 
Reissued

Orpheus wrote:
Mickey wrote:
If we included everything on TV then of course we wouldn't be having this discussion because even the worst movie is better than watching Fox News or a Marlins game. Who would even argue that?

The fact that you said this tells me you have no idea how awful (and how excellent) some movies are these days.

And only drama applies? That leaves out what I consider probably the highest quality tv show of all time--Arrested Development.

Dramatic TV =!= dramas only...

And the fact that you said this tells me you have no idea how awful a Marlins game is.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:17 am 
AnalLog

So you'd rather watch Jack & Jill than a Marlins game? Doubt it. And thanks for clarifying the "dramatic" designation, I just wasn't totally sure.

Anyway, the more I think about this argument the more ridiculous it is. Like I said, this is only being argued because TV has just now started putting out the quality of content that we've been getting from good movies for the last fifty or so years (and you could go even further than that). There are some great TV shows out nowadays but the movies are still just as good, and this is coming from someone that is an avid viewer of both.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:20 am 
Reissued

Orpheus wrote:
So you'd rather watch Jack & Jill than a Marlins game? Doubt it. And thanks for clarifying the "dramatic" designation, I just wasn't totally sure.

Anyway, the more I think about this argument the more ridiculous it is. Like I said, this is only being argued because TV has just now started putting out the quality of content that we've been getting from good movies for the last fifty or so years (and you could go even further than that). There are some great TV shows out nowadays but the movies are still just as good, and this is coming from someone that is an avid viewer of both.

Fair point. Welp.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:59 am 
Former PJ Drummer

the argument in favour of movies takes a serious hit once you factor in the movie theatre experience which is, at least where i live, such a miserable one that i rarely find myself there more than once or twice a year. that's probably not fair to the medium but honestly i see so few movies these days and the ones i do (either in the theatre or at home) are rarely as compelling as the best tv shows. tv wins hands down.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:46 pm 
Supersonic

I've probably seen 8-10 great movies over the last year or so.

I've watch dozens and dozens of great TV episodes...i.e. multiple, shining episodes of Mad Men, Shameless, Parks and Rec, Game of Thrones, Nurse Jackie, The Killing, Sons of Anarchy, - I could go on and on. Modern TV for the win.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm 
Supersonic

vegman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
how do you people not watch movies in theaters? get out of your homes!

Meh. Too expensive. Audiences suck - rude, talking, texting, smoking. Better things to do. Can basically have a better "movie theater going experience" at home with modern technology. Homemade popcorn is better. I prefer live theater.

Smoking? I haven't seen anyone smoke in a theater since the 80's. Maybe the early 90's.

You should come check out a movie in NYC sometime. It's obnoxious. And it's like I'm the only one who cares!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 pm 
Supersonic

Orpheus wrote:
Like I said, this is only being argued because TV has just now started putting out the quality of content that we've been getting from good movies for the last fifty or so years (and you could go even further than that).

I certainly agree with this. It's relative.

And I'm not ready to say one is better than the other, but I tend to watch more TV these days. Which is absurd to me, because I used to hate television. Maybe I'm just not seeing the right movies, but the cinema holds such little interest for me these days. And when I do see a movie, I tend to see it at home.

But, obviously, there are some great movies out there. I think The Artist and Midnight In Paris (just two examples from last year) are just as good or better than my favorite episodes of any TV show from last season.

TV is just finally starting to figure out how to be the best medium it can be. Once Network TV decides to trust their audience and commit (if they ever do) this discussion will shift overwhelmingly toward TV, I think.

But we're still a ways away from that, I think. The bets shows on network TV have struggled and they've been hard to duplicate. Now that Friday Night Lights is over, I'm not sure there's anything really above average happening in the drama category on network TV. Comedies are still doing just fine, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:15 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

What are these 8-10 really great movies everyone has seen in the past year? I must not be watching the right stuff.

There are a lot of fantastic TV shows on the air right now - Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Curb Your Enthusiasm, VEEP, Eastbound & Down, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, Cougar Town, FRINGE, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Transformers Prime, The League, etc. Man, I watch a lot of TV and this isn't even 1/2 of it I'm sure...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 pm 
Supersonic

bart d. wrote:
Six out of those twenty have at least something to recommend them. Here's the top 25 for tv last week:

1 American Idol-WEDNESDAY FOX 4.8 6090
2 Big Bang Theory, THE CBS 4.1 5259
3 American Idol-THURSDAY FOX 4.0 5157
4 VOICE NBC 3.8 4878
5 VOICE:RESULTS SHOW NBC 3.4 4287
6 GREY'S ANATOMY ABC 3.3 4222
7 Dancing with the Stars ABC 3.2 4028
8 Once Upon A Time ABC 3.0 3811
9 Family Guy FOX 2.8 3630
10 SURVIVOR: ONE WORLD CBS 2.7 3449
11 Glee FOX 2.7 3443
12 New Girl FOX 2.6 3381
13 Desperate Housewives ABC 2.5 3205
14 Rules of Engagement CBS 2.5 3156
15 DANCING W/STARS RESULTS ABC 2.4 3132
16 Person Of Interest CBS 2.4 3095
17 Simpsons FOX 2.3 2960
18 Amazing Race 20 CBS 2.3 2950
19 HOUSE FOX 2.3 2910
20 Biggest Loser 13 NBC 2.2 2876
21 Bones FOX 2.2 2805
22 Private Practice ABC 2.2 2804
23 Modern Family R ABC 2.2 2792
24 Mentalist, THE CBS 2.2 2777
25 OFFICE NBC 2.1 2718

Zero out of 25.

Just silly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment