Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: John Carpenter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:27 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

I've been on a kick with old Carpenter movies lately. I revisited They Live the other night and had a great time with it, and I've got a friend who I need to introduce to Assault on Precinct 13. This is for discussion of his many awesome films, and the bad ones too. I'll stick to the good though.

Escape from New York
The Fog
They Live
Assault on Precinct 13
The Thing
Prince of Darkness
Big Trouble in Little China

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

Post subject: Re: John Carpenter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

uh, halloween?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:18 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Yeah, I thought I listed that one. :lol:

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:29 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

I'm surprised They Live hasn't been remade yet. I'd say it's certianly apropos right now...

Assault on Precinct 13 is probably Carpenter's best movie. I could watch that one over and over again and never tire of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:12 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
I'm surprised They Live hasn't been remade yet. I'd say it's certianly apropos right now...

Assault on Precinct 13 is probably Carpenter's best movie. I could watch that one over and over again and never tire of it.

Thanks for mentioning it frank, some producer will probably see this and think the masses are clamoring for it. But I agree with your point that it would make sense right now, as much as a remake can make sense anyway. Thankfully the remake of Escape From New York is just about dead. Hopefully it stays that way.

Assault is pretty damn awesome.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:26 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I just watched The Thing this weekend. My dvd is scratched. :x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:57 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

bart d. wrote:
I just watched The Thing this weekend. My dvd is scratched. :x

That's brutal. I'm trying to save that one for the first snow of the year. It just feels more right that way.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:05 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I'd say it's between The Fog and The Thing as my favorite, although Halloween, Assault, and They Live are all required to be watched at least once a year.

I can't decide about Prince of Darkness. It has a ton of good ideas, and shows alot of Italian influence, but there's something missing. The fact that the lead is the young guy from Simon and Simon doesn't help things, either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:08 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

bart d. wrote:
I'd say it's between The Fog and The Thing as my favorite, although Halloween, Assault, and They Live are all required to be watched at least once a year.

I can't decide about Prince of Darkness. It has a ton of good ideas, and shows alot of Italian influence, but there's something missing. The fact that the lead is the young guy from Simon and Simon doesn't help things, either.

I just Netflixed that one and am going to rewatch it, I haven't seen it in a very long time.

The Thing is probably my favorite.

What did you think of his first Masters of Horror episode Cigarette Burns?

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:13 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Mercury wrote:
bart d. wrote:

I just Netflixed that one and am going to rewatch it, I haven't seen it in a very long time.

I haven't seen anything from Masters of Horror. Maybe I'll check this one out. I've wanted to see Pelts for a while as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Mercury wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Thanks for mentioning it frank, some producer will probably see this and think the masses are clamoring for it. But I agree with your point that it would make sense right now, as much as a remake can make sense anyway. Thankfully the remake of Escape From New York is just about dead. Hopefully it stays that way.

You know me well enough by now, Merc - I really don't care for the idea of remakes in general. But if they have to remake a movie, perhaps it could be something that offers some type of social commentary instead of just another cash cow, which is why I would endorse a remake of They Live if done correctly. Escape From New York would be interesting, too, if they approached a post-9/11 angle from it (althogh in theory I hate the idea).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Mercury wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

You know me well enough by now, Merc - I really don't care for the idea of remakes in general. But if they have to remake a movie, perhaps it could be something that offers some type of social commentary instead of just another cash cow, which is why I would endorse a remake of They Live if done correctly. Escape From New York would be interesting, too, if they approached a post-9/11 angle from it (althogh in theory I hate the idea).

meh. the track record for JC remakes is pretty abysmal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:19 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

bart d. wrote:
Mercury wrote:
bart d. wrote:

I haven't seen anything from Masters of Horror. Maybe I'll check this one out. I've wanted to see Pelts for a while as well.

Cigarette Burns was my favorite of the first season, and series for that matter, you should check it out. Pelts was alright, but that second season was truly abysmal.

Mercury wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Quote:

Well, the two directors attached to the Escape remake were Len Wiseman and Brett Ratner if that tells you anything. One of my favorite movie sites actually started listing the stories under the title "Escape from Brett Ratner". Gerard Butler was to be Snake but all of those people are off the project. And I agree that there's an angle to be had there, if they'd get the right people working on it and not just go for a quick buck, which is the most likely scenario.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:06 pm 
In a van down by the river

i came here to chew bubble gum....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:08 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile