Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sirius or XM?
XM 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
Sirius 71%  71%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 38
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:04 am 
Got Some

2 words

HOWARD STERN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:18 am 
Unthought Known

rockfan wrote:
2 words

HOWARD STERN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

could anyone recommend a good sirius receiver? bascially just looking at whether it's worth it to go the portable route with the s50 or the new one they just announce...or if i should go with the sportster or starmate...

any quality problems with any of these (duribility, audio quality?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ledbetter10 wrote:
could anyone recommend a good sirius receiver? bascially just looking at whether it's worth it to go the portable route with the s50 or the new one they just announce...or if i should go with the sportster or starmate...

any quality problems with any of these (duribility, audio quality?)

depends, where do you plan to listen to it the most? I picked up the cheapest reciever, the SiriusOne for like 50 bucks from radio shack. I also picked up a power pack from RS that allowed me to take it inside the house instead of just leaving it in my car, powered from the cig. lighter. This was back in march before Howard was online. So now, my reciever is exclusivley in my car and if I want to listen to Howard indoors I just connect through my computer.

But if if want to have a reciever indoors I would just make sure its got a decent FM transmitter. I have heard on some of the newer models the transmitter might be kind of weak, so if you've got a big house you might want to buy an external transmitter which I heard works wonders.

Even if your not a fan of Howard, Sirius is great. Gread music selection, NF-fuckin'-L, and no commericals on the music stations.

But if you are or were a fan of Howard there doing some free two day online trial next week and those shows should be absolutley killer.

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:28 am 
Team Binaural

I received XM as a gift.

Can't wait for baseball season.

any thoughts from those who have XM?

I have the Pioneer portable, and all ready I have to update it

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:48 am 
Supersonic

get sirius people- tee hee hee get it? :wink:

But really get it cuz my friend works there :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:55 am 
Mike's Maniac

I've had Sirius and XM and now I just have XM. XM's playlist depth is way better than Sirius. Also, O&A rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:06 am 
Supersonic

I made this thread. I never got satellite radio though. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:05 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I just picked up Sirius and I'm loving it so far. I got the cheapest reciever and it seems just fine to me so far.

One question for those that have had it for a while - what's the situation with censoring the music? I've heard plenty of foul language on the Stern station and in some songs too, but I've heard songs with words bleeped out twice now. Once was just this morning on the internet feed, if that makes a difference.

While we're at it, what music stations do you recommend? I've been flipping around more than sitting down to any one station for very long so far. Little Steven's station looks like my favorite so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/19/news/co ... 2007021914

XM, Sirius tie-up may be at hand
The two satellite radio operators are in the final stage of merger talks, but have not reached a deal yet, paper reports.
February 19 2007: 2:14 PM EST
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. and Sirius Satellite Radio are in final-stage merger talks, but have yet to reach a deal, according to a report published Monday.

Citing a person familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal reported that the two satellite radio operators were nearing an agreement to create satellite radio giant.

The New York Post had reported earlier that the Sirius (Charts) and XM (Charts) were planning to announce the merger sometime Monday in what is expected to be a merger of equals.

As part of the deal, XM Chairman Gary Parsons would remain chairman of the combined firm, while Sirius' Mel Karmazin would assume the role of CEO, the Post reported.

Speculation has run rampant on Wall Street about a possible tie-up between the two firms since the beginning of the year.

On Friday, a Bear Stearns analyst recommended that the two firms put aside their differences and merge, sending XM shares up 8 percent. (Full story)

And the night John Lennon died
I remember I stayed up to watch the news with everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:44 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

This'll result in better programming and technology, but I don't like the lack of competition that will result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ensign9 wrote:
This'll result in better programming and technology, but I don't like the lack of competition that will result.

Agreed. Do you know if there is anything on the horizon of a new satellite company that will start and bring any new competition?

And the night John Lennon died
I remember I stayed up to watch the news with everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

ranting in e-minor wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

Agreed. Do you know if there is anything on the horizon of a new satellite company that will start and bring any new competition?

I haven't heard about anything. Any new startup would require a ton of cash to start with, in order to lure away programming that people want (stuff like Stern, O&A, NFL, MLB, etc.).

I'm guessing XM & Sirius are going to remain distinct entities for quite a while after the merger; I don't think they're suddenly going to create one set of products and jam all the channels together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:00 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ensign9 wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

I haven't heard about anything. Any new startup would require a ton of cash to start with, in order to lure away programming that people want (stuff like Stern, O&A, NFL, MLB, etc.).

I'm guessing XM & Sirius are going to remain distinct entities for quite a while after the merger; I don't think they're suddenly going to create one set of products and jam all the channels together.

would be cool to pick up a receiver from them that picked up both signals, especially if it flipped between them quickly- i know this was being worked on last summer, but i haven't heard anything since

hopefully the subscription and equipment costs drop some in the future, though the lack of competition does not help this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:05 pm 
Unthought Known

sherpahigh wrote:
Marv wrote:
Sirius will have MLB when XM goes belly up. they are in MAJOR trouble !
I have a friend that works for them

Sirius and XM are both bleeding money. I would imagine they'll end up merging at some point.

:idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:08 pm 
Unthought Known

Ensign9 wrote:

They do have competition. FM radio, iPods, etc. They're still going to have to remain competitive in order to make it an attractive option over traditional radio stations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:21 am 
Supersonic

Ensign9 wrote:

I'm thinking the opposite. With no competition, they don't really have to innovate or create better programming because they are the only option, not counting terrestial radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:02 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

flavdave wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

I'm thinking the opposite. With no competition, they don't really have to innovate or create better programming because they are the only option, not counting terrestial radio.

They'll have competition, internet radio is going to make a comeback with the wireless boom. Cars will be equipped to pull down an internet signal.

I'm just happy that I'll be able to hear NFL, NBA and Stern now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 pm 
Unthought Known

jimmac24 wrote:
flavdave wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

They'll have competition, internet radio is going to make a comeback with the wireless boom. Cars will be equipped to pull down an internet signal.

Man, the show is as good as ever. I know in the other thread you act like it isn't hitting on all cylinders (like the 90's), but I think you'll find out otherwise when you return to Howard and say goodbye to O&A once and for all. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:00 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

pearljamminagain wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:
flavdave wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

Man, the show is as good as ever. I know in the other thread you act like it isn't hitting on all cylinders (like the 90's), but I think you'll find out otherwise when you return to Howard and say goodbye to O&A once and for all. :wink:

4 of my friends have Sirius so I've heard a fair amount of the show. It's definitely high quality, I just think the show was better back then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment