Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Sopranos
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The Rock wrote:
A colleague at work kept telling me to watch this; he has the whole boxset on DVD so he let me borrow it. As I type this I've just started the season 5 finale.

Honestly, this has become one of my favourite shows ever. I've watched them all in approximately a 2-month run and I'll be sad when it all finishes. Sure, there were episodes when not a lot happened but I kind of like those ones because we're just getting to watch the characters be themselves and do regular shit.

I read that the guy Paulie and Christopher spend a whole day chasing through the forest in season 3 actually resurfaces in the finale. Is that true???? If so, that's just immensely brilliant.

That's kinda what I did, I didn't start watching the series at all until it was just getting going with the 6th and final season. I had the whole thing done in I think maybe 3 months time.

Have you been able to avoid all this time though finding out anything about what happened in the series finale? I'd imagine that'd be very tough, just because of how the very ending of it has really seeped into the whole pop culture landscape by now.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:39 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Samwise wrote:
The Rock wrote:
A colleague at work kept telling me to watch this; he has the whole boxset on DVD so he let me borrow it. As I type this I've just started the season 5 finale.

Honestly, this has become one of my favourite shows ever. I've watched them all in approximately a 2-month run and I'll be sad when it all finishes. Sure, there were episodes when not a lot happened but I kind of like those ones because we're just getting to watch the characters be themselves and do regular shit.

I read that the guy Paulie and Christopher spend a whole day chasing through the forest in season 3 actually resurfaces in the finale. Is that true???? If so, that's just immensely brilliant.

That's kinda what I did, I didn't start watching the series at all until it was just getting going with the 6th and final season. I had the whole thing done in I think maybe 3 months time.

Have you been able to avoid all this time though finding out anything about what happened in the series finale? I'd imagine that'd be very tough, just because of how the very ending of it has really seeped into the whole pop culture landscape by now.

I still have absolutely zero idea about how the finale ends. I never paid any attention to any talk of it when it first aired because I was never interested in the show.

I'm 4 episodes in to season 6, and I'm in shock at how good these first episodes are. I still can't believe that Tony got shot, and the whole story of Tony being Kevin Finnerty while in the coma was fantastic. Constantly looking out of the window and seeing that beacon/light thing in the distance made me feel really sad; his subconscious character wanting to get back home to his wife mirroring the real Tony fighting for his life in the coma. Just brilliant stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:52 pm 
Coast to Coast

The Rock wrote:

Heh.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 pm 
AnalLog

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The Rock wrote:
Samwise wrote:
The Rock wrote:

I still have absolutely zero idea about how the finale ends. I never paid any attention to any talk of it when it first aired because I was never interested in the show.

I'm 4 episodes in to season 6, and I'm in shock at how good these first episodes are. I still can't believe that Tony got shot, and the whole story of Tony being Kevin Finnerty while in the coma was fantastic. Constantly looking out of the window and seeing that beacon/light thing in the distance made me feel really sad; his subconscious character wanting to get back home to his wife mirroring the real Tony fighting for his life in the coma. Just brilliant stuff.

I think you're going to dig the hell out of the finale.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:10 pm 
Unthought Known

People usually crap on me for this opinion but the final 5 minutes of the series is incredible. How it is structured is amazing, visual storytelling at it's best. The devil is in the details and the answers are all there.

Might be the best ending in the history of television.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:28 pm 
AnalLog

paaks wrote:
People usually crap on me for this opinion but the final 5 minutes of the series is incredible. How it is structured is amazing, visual storytelling at it's best. The devil is in the details and the answers are all there.

not to mention your favorite song

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:48 am 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:
paaks wrote:

not to mention your favorite song

:haha: I actually always think of the scene when I hear the song now. While not a good song, it's a great choice for the scene.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 am 
Coast to Coast

I think that scene made me like the song. It sounds poignant, now.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
I think that scene made me like the song. It sounds poignant, now.

Exactly. I hear this song everywhere and there's always two or more girls singing to each other as it plays but I can't help but think about onion rings when I hear it now. I'll never forget how I was feeling in the final minutes of that last episode.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm 
Got Some

I remember being bored by the Kevin Finnerty episodes & ready for them to move on but in retrospect there was a lot of stuff I didn't pick up until later viewings. I think you're really going to enjoy the series' end run.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

paaks wrote:

Anyone crapping on you for this is a moron. It's easily one of the best moments in television, hands down. It's fucking exhilarating, and directed and edited to perfection.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:39 am 
Unthought Known

diaglo wrote:
paaks wrote:

Anyone crapping on you for this is a moron. It's easily one of the best moments in television, hands down. It's fucking exhilarating, and directed and edited to perfection.

yes

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

paaks wrote:

Is there maybe a known website out there that breaks down all of the details you're talking about to show you how it really does hold all the answers? Because, well granted as much as I enjoyed it overall, it's not like I regard it as my favorite TV show of all time or anything as I know a lot of people do (or even my top 3) so I guess I wasn't into it enough to pick up on something like that. But if David Chase really was able to address all of these central issues in some kind of subtextual way in the final scene (or hell even if it was actually blunt), I would still at least greatly respect that as a writer and filmmaker.

And I liked the whole Kevin Finnerty thing, too. I especially liked how they tied in the family reunion at the end to Tony being right on the brink of living or dying, then how he actually comes out of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:35 am 
Unthought Known

Samwise wrote:
Is there maybe a known website out there that breaks down all of the details you're talking about to show you how it really does hold all the answers? Because, well granted as much as I enjoyed it overall, it's not like I regard it as my favorite TV show of all time or anything as I know a lot of people do (or even my top 3) so I guess I wasn't into it enough to pick up on something like that. But if David Chase really was able to address all of these central issues in some kind of subtextual way in the final scene (or hell even if it was actually blunt), I would still at least greatly respect that as a writer and filmmaker.

Yeah actually there is. Let me find it.

EDIT: http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/t ... f-the-end/

There is this one as well but it is not as good. http://alessonaday.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... nal-scene/

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:54 am 
Johnny Guitar

So I'm hoping that Tony doesn't give the go ahead to have Vito killed if and when he does come back. I'm at the end of "The Ride" (episode 9), and something inside of me thinks that it's probably a bit too cruel of them to kill Vito. I know there's some old-school guys in Tony's crew who don't want to be associated with a gay man, but he hasn't done anything wrong and watching him start some kind of new life in New Hampshire is really sad.

I know it's probably inevitable that he'll come back to New Jersey at some point and shit will get real, but Tony is clearly in two minds about it and part of him wants to just let things be. But I have that feeling in my gut that they'll whack him :(

I was thinking some more about the Russian in 'Pine Barrens'. I'm not sure now if I want him to turn up or not. Was this a hot topic of discussion back when it first aired? Is the Russian a metaphor to symbolise the unseen dangers lingering over them all that they can't quite grasp or predict? If so, then the Russian should stay hidden in those snowy forests, haunting everybody from the shadows :D

And why oh why do I get the feeling that Christopher is going to die? The way he and Tony were talking in "The Ride" when they were sat on the wall drinking, and then the way we are show him shooting up again and passing out the next morning makes me think they're building up to some sort of exit for him. I hope not :(

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:36 pm 
Got Some

Christopher was one of my favorite characters on the show too. His plotline through out the series, his ups and downs and character evolution were expertly drawn by the writers & Imperoli's portrail. They made him sympathetic even the character didn't deserve it.
I'm glad you're picking up on the dialogue and possible foreshadowing better than I did. Not neccesarily in Christopher's case but there was lots of things I didn't notice until later viewings or after the series was over.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:54 pm 
Unthought Known

lord vedder wrote:
I'm glad you're picking up on the dialogue and possible foreshadowing better than I did. Not neccesarily in Christopher's case but there was lots of things I didn't notice until later viewings or after the series was over.

It definitely is more artsy then just a regular mob story at times. Tony's dream sequences are nuts, and there is so much more to the story that they try to tell visually and the use of subtext is pretty amazing as well.

Major Spoiler for farther then you are in the series The Rock, don't read it until after you are finished.

Spoiler: show
I think it is the 3rd last episode where Tony goes to Las Vegas, after he has killed Christopher and meets his ex-girlfriend and does Peyote? SO much more then just a regular drug trip sequence. That scene in the desert, as the sun is coming up, at the end is so poignant, and so deep. It gives you tons of insight into Tonys character that you still didn't know which is just crazy that late in the series.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:58 pm 
Johnny Guitar

lord vedder wrote:
Christopher was one of my favorite characters on the show too. His plotline through out the series, his ups and downs and character evolution were expertly drawn by the writers & Imperoli's portrail. They made him sympathetic even the character didn't deserve it.

Christopher has really frustrated me throughout the show. He has done some truly despicable things, especially in his violent abuse towards Adriana at times. But like you said, you can't help but sympathise with him. It's really great writing that we can loathe and sympathise in equal amount.
I especially loved how he handled the news that Adriana had been working with the feds. I almost believed for a very very very split second that he might give everything up and leave with her. But I should've known better; he is loyal to Tony until the end.

I'm still not entirely convinced that Junior is actually insane/has dementia or whatever it is. I keep wondering if it will emerge that he knew exactly what he was doing when he 'accidentally' shot Tony. I mean, he did try to have Tony killed back in season 1 and it's always seemed that there's still something brewing underneath it all.

God, I can't wait to get to the end so I can finally see what all the fuss was about regarding the finale.

Oh, and I absolutely love the dream sequences they did throughout the series. Especially the one at the end of season 2 about Pussy's betrayal. And the more recent Kevin Finnerty episodes.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Ok, I'm about to watch the finale. I'm so excited but nervous at the same time.

The last few episodes have absolutely shocked me and left my jaw on the floor, and I have absolutely no idea how they're going to end it! Expect some thoughts from me after I've seen it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment