Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: The Sopranos
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:51 pm 
Coast to Coast

I don't think I've ever heard the full song. That's where it ends, for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:54 pm 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:

eh, you're not missing much. it goes on and on and on and on

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EbolaMonkey wrote:
No one ever seems to mention the quote from Bobby when he and Tony were fishing at the cabin in one of the final episodes. They're talking about death, and Bobby says something along the lines of "What do you think happens when you die? Does it all just cut to black?"

On the flip side though, I took the ending to mean that Tony lived, but has to live with the constant fear and suspicion that we felt while watching that final scene. I remember reading somewhere that Chase originally wrote the final scene in the 2nd-last episode - where it fades out with Tony sitting on the end of the bed, staring at the closed bedroom door with an assault rifle in his hand - intending for it to be the final scene in the series finale. That tells me David Chase meant to convey the feeling that Tony is doomed to spend the rest of his days on guard.

That, coupled with the fact that the very last thought we're left with is literally "don't stop."

It really could go either way, but I think it's important to note that it was written and designed this way. Both sides of the argument are completely valid, and both are correct. The threat to Tony and his family will always there, and Tony will most likely get gunned down or murdered, because that's the life. I don't think it's important to know that he died exactly at the end of the series, but that Chase is telling us "Yes, this is the life, and yes, he will die." Whether he lives or dies at the diner is not important.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:22 pm 
Got Some

One thing I've heard but is missing from this thread is that it was the series (or the audience, depending on your point of view) that comes to a sudden end. How you don't see it coming when the inevitable happens, it's just an abrupt cutting to black. The storylines of the characters continue, we're just not a part of it anymore. I lean more towards Tony's dead but it does fit into the much discussed Bobby & T conversation.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:58 pm 
Unthought Known

I guess I would go with Tony being dead as the ending, but I just think the whole thing was lazy by David Chase. This show deserved better than some ambiguous ending that leaves you puzzled. I always thought the dream sequences were just lazy ways to fill a season up, and this ending was that x100.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:00 pm 
a joke

warehouse wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

eh, you're not missing much. it goes on and on and on and on

this is a great post.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:03 pm 
a joke

See, I love the ending. LOVE IT. But i dont think its as cut and dry as "he's dead." It's too obvious for a show that valued odd symbolism. I like the theory that we all were on the edge of our seats, being forced to watch everyone that comes in the door. We become as stressed as tony does every minute of his life. We all knew the end was coming, but were unsure how it was going to happen. I also like the fact that he came up with a way that didn't feel like a cop out. Had tony died, we all would have said it was the easy way out, if he had lived and continued as a mob boss it would have felt cheap. Tony Soprano did not deserve a happy ending. Obviously he wasn't going to flip. Having said that, I really disliked the Kevin Finnerty nonsense. At best it was filler, at worst it was artistic masturbation allowing David Chase to show us just how brilliant he thinks he is.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Having said that, I really disliked the Kevin Finnerty nonsense. At best it was filler, at worst it was artistic masturbation allowing David Chase to show us just how brilliant he thinks he is.

I liked the Finnerty stuff somewhat, however I really didn't understand the point of the whole part of the lawsuit the monastery had against "him". They spent a fair amount of time on that.

I'm also surprised how deeply they went into Vito's attempt at a gay lifestyle up in New England. But, I don't know, maybe when they were doing like a full 20 episodes for 'one season' for the first time in the run, there was going to be some filler.

A totally different element from the final episode I've often wondered about, how realistic the behavior of the FBI Agent Harris was. Like I wonder if anything like that would come even close to happening in the real world, that a particular agent who's cultivated a relationship (for lack of a better word) with a mob boss under investigation for years, that he'd actually be sorta rooting for that guy to survive a mob war with another family, like how he reacts when he hears from the other agent that Leotardo was just killed. But, maybe it was simply put in there for a bit of absurdist comedy.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
Unthought Known

Samwise wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Having said that, I really disliked the Kevin Finnerty nonsense. At best it was filler, at worst it was artistic masturbation allowing David Chase to show us just how brilliant he thinks he is.

I liked the Finnerty stuff somewhat, however I really didn't understand the point of the whole part of the lawsuit the monastery had against "him". They spent a fair amount of time on that.

I'm also surprised how deeply they went into Vito's attempt at a gay lifestyle up in New England. But, I don't know, maybe when they were doing like a full 20 episodes for 'one season' for the first time in the run, there was going to be some filler.

A totally different element from the final episode I've often wondered about, how realistic the behavior of the FBI Agent Harris was. Like I wonder if anything like that would come even close to happening in the real world, that a particular agent who's cultivated a relationship (for lack of a better word) with a mob boss under investigation for years, that he'd actually be sorta rooting for that guy to survive a mob war with another family, like how he reacts when he hears from the other agent that Leotardo was just killed. But, maybe it was simply put in there for a bit of absurdist comedy.

I'm pretty sure that scene where Harris celebrates Leotardo's death was based on something a real fed did, but I cant remember the details.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 pm 
a joke

Samwise wrote:

Ive always felt agent harris was there to represent the viewer on the show. He KNEW what tony was, yet had an odd liking of him. Not even a respect, but just liked him on a person to person level. Maybe a curiousity, or slight jealousy of the lifestyle, and was happy to get to be a small part of it, without any of the risk of course. He rooted for Tony despite knowing exactly who he was, and what he was- kinda like we did.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 am 
Coast to Coast

Samwise wrote:
A totally different element from the final episode I've often wondered about, how realistic the behavior of the FBI Agent Harris was. Like I wonder if anything like that would come even close to happening in the real world

Like many things in the show, it was taken from real life
Quote:
Specifically, the line "Damn! We're gonna win this thing!", spoken in the episode by the character Dwight Harris after being informed of the death of Phil Leotardo, alludes to former FBI supervisor Lindley DeVecchio. DeVecchio famously uttered the line after being told that Lorenzo "Larry" Lampasi had been shot to death in front of his Brooklyn home and was later charged for informing the Mafia on various accounts, another parallel to Tony Soprano and Dwight Harris.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
a joke

So sometimes in the morning when the kids at day care and I have some errands to run, Ill watch the A&E version of the Sopranos.
Today I was watching the episode of the funeral of tonys mother and thought again about this theory that I posted a couple years ago now.

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Samwise wrote:
I was thinking another great Sopranos character that should've been taken was Tony's mother. After I got done reviewing some of the 6th season recently I then went and have watched some of season 1 again, Nancy Marchand was unbelievable, she was truly one of those manipulative characters in a TV show in the whole last decade, knowing full well of every little thing she was doing but playing the innocent victim act :haha:

While i didnt care for her as a character, that might have been by design, i started to think later on that Janice was not going to be a major player in the series.. I think she took on a lot of the "tormenting tony" characteristics that were probably planned for his mother.

so while i was thinking about this, and obviously hammered/stoned Christopter gives this little speech

"whose to say there isnt another mrs soprano out there, or will be. maybe not with the same paranoia and fears, but the same..." and peters out.
Janice is the next to appear on screen as she says "Thank you christopher"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:30 pm 
Unthought Known

Skitch Patterson wrote:
So sometimes in the morning when the kids at day care and I have some errands to run, Ill watch the A&E version of the Sopranos.
Today I was watching the episode of the funeral of tonys mother and thought again about this theory that I posted a couple years ago now.

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Samwise wrote:
I was thinking another great Sopranos character that should've been taken was Tony's mother. After I got done reviewing some of the 6th season recently I then went and have watched some of season 1 again, Nancy Marchand was unbelievable, she was truly one of those manipulative characters in a TV show in the whole last decade, knowing full well of every little thing she was doing but playing the innocent victim act :haha:

While i didnt care for her as a character, that might have been by design, i started to think later on that Janice was not going to be a major player in the series.. I think she took on a lot of the "tormenting tony" characteristics that were probably planned for his mother.

so while i was thinking about this, and obviously hammered/stoned Christopter gives this little speech

"whose to say there isnt another mrs soprano out there, or will be. maybe not with the same paranoia and fears, but the same..." and peters out.
Janice is the next to appear on screen as she says "Thank you christopher"

I thought until the end that Janice would kill Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

It was the russian.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm 
AnalLog

DEAD

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment