Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Movie : Kill Bill
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:11 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I watched a bit of Vol. 2 today and I got to thinking how emotionally this movie hits me. Sure, this movie is very surreal, but to identify with a story that suggests what it would be like to lose life for four years, and moreover, lose the years of a your child's beginning is incredibly powerful.

As a young man, I don't know if I completely identify with how a woman would react in this kind of situation, but I definitely feel that what The Bride ended up doing and all that she went through is not unlike what some would do.

And it's so great to see such a strong, yet beautiful woman do so much action. Uma is great actress, balancing the serious with the light. She really does seem to shine best with Quentin Tarantino.

God bless,

Jared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:16 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I personally liked Vol. 1 better, but Vol. 2 is pretty good as well.

**Jay :P**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:22 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I watched Vol. 2 again the other night and I thought and still think, that it is excellent. The dialogue is amazing, and Tarantino is unbelievably clever, too clever in fact. I would say that this is probably the worst of all Tarantino films though, there are still plenty of things wrong with the movie.

I'm actually waiting around for the off-shoots, like comic books, animes, sequels, etc...explaining the origins of some of the other characters, Bill, Esteban Viejo...they could really do a lot with what was created.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:32 pm 
Unthought Known

Vol. 1 is great, Vol. 2 is excellent. All together it is an incredibly good saga. I love it.

Want a reason?
How's about "because"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:34 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I LOvE those Movies!!!!

after seeing them i randomly walked up to all of my family members and gave them Pie Mae's five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique but nothing Happened :(

"I WILL SCREAM MY LUNGS OUT TILL IT FILLS THIS ROOM"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:13 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

You know, the only offshoot I don't want to see is The Bride getting whacked. I mean, understand if Quentin wants to do it, it's his thing. But I much rather prefer thinking that justice was served, balance was made, and all was well and "even Steven."

God bless,

Jared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I like these movies but don't LOVE them like a lot of people. I think they are entirely way overhyped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:15 pm 
Administrator

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Vol. 1 is great, Vol. 2 is excellent. All together it is an incredibly good saga. I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:24 am 
Force of Nature

i loved everything until the ending.. i didnt like the whole 5-point-exploding-heart ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:02 am 
Unthought Known

skinneej wrote:
i loved everything until the ending.. i didnt like the whole 5-point-exploding-heart ending.

I thought that was the only appropriate way to end the story.

Want a reason?
How's about "because"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:08 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Vol 1 is great.
Vol 2 is great.

But the two together are a masterpiece. Who else but Tarantino could have made those movies? Pulp Fiction is still my favorite, but time may endear me even further to Kill Bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:47 am 
Got Some

I think they would have made a much better 3 hour film as originally intended. Both of them drag on their own, and some of the scenes could have easily been chopped out. I know that Tarantino has put them back together for a future release, so I hope he shortens each half up a bit and makes a solid three hour film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:38 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

I look forward to the eventual full length, single movie release on DVD.

j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I liked it and all. But my sister, who is pretty contemporary in her movie tastes, HATED it. She hated all the gore, blood, the stupidity of different things...

What do you say to that? she has a point. It is a little off the deep end.. Anyway, I haven't seen Vol 2...and don't plan to unless someone rents it and I am there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:16 pm 
Stone's Bitch

glorified_version wrote:
I watched Vol. 2 again the other night and I thought and still think, that it is excellent. The dialogue is amazing, and Tarantino is unbelievably clever, too clever in fact. I would say that this is probably the worst of all Tarantino films though, there are still plenty of things wrong with the movie.

Very well-put, and I certainly agree. Tarantino has given us new effects and techniques to filmmaking with "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction." His very early work as a writer, with "True Romance" and "Natural Born Killers," was great work, but the two films that broke out in the early nineties were masterpieces of film history for their innovative directorial techniques, which Tarantino employed to perfection. When "Jackie Brown" came out in '97, I think it was, it didn't get the same reaction that the previous two had. Here is a very solid film, a creative and intelligent movie that didn't have the same effect as say "Pulp Fiction," which was applauded for the formerly unknown elements to filmmaking utilized by its madman director. "Pulp Fiction" was dialogue-driven, nonlinear, it was funny, it was clever, and it was still cool! There was a specific thrill it offered in its solid originality. That was the appeal, the newness.

"Kill Bill" isn't really indicative of all of Tarantino's powers as a director and as a storyteller. Here, he lays out a tale of a woman out for revenge after being left for dead at her wedding. The fight scenes are entertaining and engaging, and the audience is anxious at every moment for the next movement. However, like Glorified Version said, perhaps Tarantino is too clever for his own good. I thought some of the individual scenes were really neat, like the scene where Beatrix reveals her pregnancy to a fellow female assassin. But the movie as a whole didn't have that same luminous power as others he's made. At some points, I would feel like his fun was in the individual scenes and not in the whole story. The scenes amounted to more than the film, in a lot of ways, at least for me. Maybe I was looking for something more alluring to my mind, where this was B-movie fun. I prefer Tarantino when he's having his own fun, not paying a tribute to someone else's.

All that said, I did like the film. It was fun. But I do hold other Tarantino works above this one as cinematic treasures. Maybe I expect too much from my directors. :D

DVDs: http://db.etree.org/pamplemousse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

pamplemousse wrote:
Very well-put, and I certainly agree. Tarantino has given us new effects and techniques to filmmaking with "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction." His very early work as a writer, with "True Romance" and "Natural Born Killers," was great work, but the two films that broke out in the early nineties were masterpieces of film history for their innovative directorial techniques, which Tarantino employed to perfection. When "Jackie Brown" came out in '97, I think it was, it didn't get the same reaction that the previous two had. Here is a very solid film, a creative and intelligent movie that didn't have the same effect as say "Pulp Fiction," which was applauded for the formerly unknown elements to filmmaking utilized by its madman director. "Pulp Fiction" was dialogue-driven, nonlinear, it was funny, it was clever, and it was still cool! There was a specific thrill it offered in its solid originality. That was the appeal, the newness.

"Kill Bill" isn't really indicative of all of Tarantino's powers as a director and as a storyteller. Here, he lays out a tale of a woman out for revenge after being left for dead at her wedding. The fight scenes are entertaining and engaging, and the audience is anxious at every moment for the next movement. However, like Glorified Version said, perhaps Tarantino is too clever for his own good. I thought some of the individual scenes were really neat, like the scene where Beatrix reveals her pregnancy to a fellow female assassin. But the movie as a whole didn't have that same luminous power as others he's made. At some points, I would feel like his fun was in the individual scenes and not in the whole story. The scenes amounted to more than the film, in a lot of ways, at least for me. Maybe I was looking for something more alluring to my mind, where this was B-movie fun. I prefer Tarantino when he's having his own fun, not paying a tribute to someone else's.

All that said, I did like the film. It was fun. But I do hold other Tarantino works above this one as cinematic treasures. Maybe I expect too much from my directors. :D

Good points :wink:

I love Tarantino, but the problem I have with him is that he is so eager to point out all these other movie references, or influences, and everybody just thinks that it is so damn clever. Really, everybody directing today was heavily influenced by somebody else's work. And aside from that, the movie did have some great, subtle moments, like Bill making his daughter a sandwich with a huge knife. Stuff like that is great. The movie really leaves somethings to be desired in terms of storyline and character development. Otherwise its incredibly entertaining. Maybe I'm just analyzing it too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:09 am 
Menace to Dogciety

I like Vol.1, I LOVE Vol.2!!! I love how Vol.2 go deeper in the psy of the characters, the dialogue between Bride and Bill is so great and natural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:34 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I enjoyed these movies quite a bit, and it's the little things that really do it for me. Beatrix wiggling her toes, watching the movie with her daughter, the whole pei mei thing was outstanding (my favorite part of the story). I do agree that QT goes a little over the top and sometimes gets in his own way, but he did a great job with these flicks. He's one of the only writer/directors out there that you can count on to at least make something interesting each time around.

Maclone's Musings (my nearly daily blog for the paper i write for)
http://capenews.net/blogs/maclones_musings/
Stop on by, everyone else is doing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:04 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Quentin owns, I believe. He makes movies for fun and for art. I'm pretty sure he has said the Kill Bill series was paying tribute to films that he grew up enjoying. In that sense, I don't expect the same quality in these movies like I do with something like Pulp Fiction. However, Quentin has done very well and there are some great scenes that get into the psychology of the characters shown which make me think quite a bit.

You can love these films as either just pure entertainment or works of art.

God bless,

Jared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:59 am 
Got Some

Mercury wrote:
Vol 1 is great.
Vol 2 is great.
But the two together are a masterpiece. Pulp Fiction is still my favorite, but time may endear me even further to Kill Bill.

my thoughts exactly

Top Five Musical Geniuses (Alphabetical Order): Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Andrew Hill, Mark Lanegan, Tom Waits

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment