Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Howard Stern
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:40 pm 
Unthought Known

i remember a couple weeks back Howard said that Artie would like to come on the show sometime between now and dec to answer questions about what happened, though Howard wasn't sure about it being a good idea.

Quote:
For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:02 pm 
Got Some

So is it generally assumed Howard is leaving when his contract is up? That's less than two months away now; I would have thought something would have come out by now or least strong rumors. I'm sure negotiations are going on but it does sound like they are winding down when I listen. I know he's talked about how he's not ready to retire yet but I can't see him going back to terrestrial radio now he's been on such an unrestrained venue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:21 pm 
Unthought Known

from what he's been saying, it looks like he's going to be leaving Sirius to do his own subscription based webcasts podcasts etc, with the same format as he's doing now. This way, he can undercut a Sirius subscription and keep a bigger piece of the pie.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:22 pm 
Fuck Sharks

p911gt10c wrote:
from what he's been saying, it looks like he's going to be leaving Sirius to do his own subscription based webcasts podcasts etc, with the same format as he's doing now. This way, he can undercut a Sirius subscription and keep a bigger piece of the pie.

Huge mistake, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:19 pm 
Got Some

p911gt10c wrote:

most people I know who got satellite radio initially for Stern now say that they'd keep it even if he left because they've fallen in love with the service as a whole...does Stern really think these same people are going to pay separately just for his tired schtick?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I don't know, as much as I like Howard, I don't think I'll be terribly broken up if he decides to hang it up entirely (not even the podcast). While obviously he was well paid even back at KROCK long before the move, he was largely still able to present himself as sort of an everyman, with all his neurosis. But right now he's the least relatable he's ever been to his audience. It's funny, for how much he's been in therapy the last decade, there's still a ton of work to do. This whole idea of him being totally closed off, just him and Beth lost and happily existing in their own little super rich world (particularly him), it's never been more so right now than in the show, least as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:05 am 
Former PJ Drummer

ScottZeagle wrote:
p911gt10c wrote:

Huge mistake, in my opinion.

I dunno, i'd consider paying the subscription if it's not too much. As it is now, i'm not in my car enough to warrant a sirius subscription (and i can't use it at work either cause my office is a like a bunker when it comes to reception of any kind) so i just download a few stern eps here and there, but i'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:37 pm 
Unthought Known

More talk about Howard than Gary

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:11 am 
Fuck Sharks

I thought Gary did a really nice job on Letterman...he had to be nervous as hell!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 pm 
Unthought Known

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:41 pm 
Unthought Known

poor Gary.

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:52 am 
Unthought Known

Sirius XM CFO Frear Talks Fate Of Howard Stern

December 7, 2010

As the clock winds down on Howard Stern's contract with Sirius XM Satellite Radio, there is still uncertainty as to what his next move will be. Sirius XM CFO David Frear spoke about Stern's future at a UBS investor conference in New York City on Monday, saying he is "hopeful" that Stern will remain with the satcaster, but would have to take a likely pay cut.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Frears added that Stern "could decide that he doesn’t want to get up that early in the morning. That he’d like to do a shorter show. That he’d like to do it somewhere else. The Internet, whether it’s through iTunes or something else, is always a possibility." A vague rumor recently surfaced online that Stern was considering some sort of deal through iTunes, but it was debunked.

As for a potential pay cut for Stern, Frear noted that the "King of All Media" won't be the only Sirius XM talent who would have to accept a smaller contract. "At the time of the merger we were in many long-term contracts," Frear said. "As they come up for renewal, we’ll have the opportunity to get more favorable economic terms there."

Stern's multi-million dollar contract expires on December 31, and the Hollywood Reporter suggests he could do his last show under the deal on Thursday, December 16, as he takes Fridays off and would then have the rest of the month off for the holiday season.

Frear discussed how Sirius and XM made a big splash thanks to deals with Oprah Winfrey, Martha Stewart and the major sports leagues, but "the marketing aspects of these alignments don’t have the same kind of value components to them today that they did several years ago." Therefore, the cost of renewing deals in the future should "come down a little bit."

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:05 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Howard ain't gonna blink on this one, and if he leaves, it's a significant dent in satellite radio's attractiveness.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 pm 
Unthought Known

video of the Worlds Biggest Whore comp.

NSFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.spankwire.com/Howard-Tv-Biggest-Whore-Contest/video230732/

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

5 MORE YEARS ! ! ! !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:46 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

awesome news.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:43 pm 
Fuck Sharks

Hell yeah!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 am 
Got Some

Yeah, what they said. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:46 am 
On the bright side

Sal came in late today and missed the announcement that Howard was staying. So the whole studio played a joke and howard told sal that this was the last week. Sal started weeping like a baby before they let him know about the prank. It was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm 
Unthought Known

Howard Stern's New Deal: $2K a Minute
by Peter Lauria
The shock jock re-upped with Sirius XM with a $400 million contract, sources say. Peter Lauria reports on what Stern brings to the table—and why he's worth every penny.

Howard Stern’s new contract with Sirius XM Radio will pay him $2,008 for every minute on the air.

While terms of the lesbian-loving loudmouth’s new five-year deal with Sirius XM weren’t disclosed, two sources close to the situation say that Wall Street estimates of a $400 million contract, which works out to $80 million per year, are accurate. (Since the deal is a material event, Sirius XM will eventually have to disclose the precise details of Stern’s new contract in a regulatory filing.) These sources also say that Stern, closing in on 60, will likely scale back his workload by either a day per week or an hour per show.

Either way, after accounting for Stern’s eight weeks of vacation and 10 standard federal holidays, the shock jock will only be working 498 hours per year. Put another way, using an annual salary of $60 million—an estimated $20 million of Stern’s yearly compensation goes to production costs for the show and staff salaries, according to Wall Street analysts—the self-proclaimed King of All Media will be banking $120,482 per hour. That works out to $2,008 per minute. Should Stern keep the live broadcast at 4 hours but scale back his work week to 3 days, or 122 work days per year, he’d still make just under $492,000 per show.

A representative for Sirius XM did not respond to a request for comment.

Those numbers are not only in-line with Stern’s original, groundbreaking five-year, $500 million deal with Sirius in 2006, but also allows both sides to declare victory after a sometimes acrimonious year of negotiations.

Sirius XM executives have been telling Wall Street that they expected more favorable economic terms in contract renewal talks with talent ever since their merger was completed. Company CEO Mel Karmazin said that Sirius XM could save $100 million per year by not renewing Stern’s contract, for instance. Moreover, just this week, Sirius XM CFO David Frear reiterated the point at a media investor conference hosted by UBS.

“I am not taking a f---ing pay cut,” Stern said on his show in response to Frear’s comments. “Why would I have to take a pay cut? Who is this guy to say this in public?”

A master of negotiating in public, Stern all year long used his show as leverage against Sirius XM. There was the bogus rumor earlier in the year that he was in the running to replace Simon Cowell as a judge on American Idol. Last week another bogus rumor surfaced that Stern was close to inking a $600 million, three-year deal with Apple’s iTunes. Stern even said on his show Thursday while announcing the deal that he talked with satellite, terrestrial, and Internet radio companies throughout the year.

“Howard is a great talent and we are thrilled that he will continue to provoke, engage and entertain on Sirius XM,” said Karmazin in a statement. “Howard forever changed radio and was instrumental in putting Sirius on the map when he first launched on satellite radio. He is one of the few ‘one-name’ entertainers in the country.”

Indeed, Sirius was on the brink of bankruptcy before Stern arrived. His hiring was without question the single most important event in satellite radio's short history. And though it’s impossible to determine the precise number of people who subscribe to Sirius XM solely because of Stern since the company doesn’t breakout the figures, analysts put the number between 2 million and 2.5 million.

The real number may be higher. At the end of 2005, the year before Stern began infiltrating the satellite airwaves with his raucous brand of humor and cadre of castoff characters, Sirius has 3.3 million subscribers. By the end of 2006, it had 6 million subscribers, and a year later that number had grown to 8.3 million. Now, after merging with rival XM, the company has more than 20 million subscribers. (For some perspective, that is more subscribers than Time Warner Cable or DirecTV.)

But even using the conservative estimates of Wall Street analysts, Stern is still clearly a revenue rainmaker for Sirius XM. Using the basic subscription price of $13 per month, or $156 per year, Stern loyalists account for gross annual revenue of between $312 million and $390 million, respectively. Sirius banks about 60 percent of that revenue, which means that Stern is directly responsible for between $187 million and $234 million of Sirius XM's bottom line. Using those figures, Stern has generated between $935 million and $1.2 billion in revenue for Sirius XM since the signing of his original contract.

Small wonder then that Sirius XM is willing to pay so much for a guy that works less than one-third of the year. (The company supplements the live show with specials like The Wrap-Up Show, Superfan Roundtable, and other shows hosted by Stern sidekicks that allow it to capitalize on the Stern name without actually featuring the shock jock himself.)

Stern’s new contract, which runs through December 31, 2015, also gives Sirius XM mobile rights to his show, meaning that the company can market and promote Stern to drive subscribers to its iPhone, iPod, BlackBerry, and Android-powered applications. To be sure, the company noted rather prominently in its press release announcing the deal that Stern has been able to parlay his radio fame into two bestselling books—Private Parts and Miss America—a highly successful film and soundtrack, and pay-per-view specials.

“Access to my show on mobile devices will open up additional opportunities for my fans to hear me wherever they are,” Stern said in a statement.

That’s what Sirius XM is hoping, and why they are willing to pay him $2,008 per minute to stay with the company.

Peter Lauria is senior correspondent covering business, media, and entertainment for The Daily Beast. He previously covered music, movies, television, cable, radio, and corporate media as a business reporter for The New York Post. His work has also appeared in Avenue, Blender, and Media Magazine, and he's appeared on CNBC, Bloomberg, BBC Radio, and Reuters TV.

Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment