Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:15 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

antiyou wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
C4Lukin wrote:
Dawn of the Dead and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre were good remakes that did enough things different to warrant their existance. ... The original Omen isn't that great of a movie to begin with.

These are false statements.

Be fair. If they left in the extended scenes in TCM it would have been a better movie. When Leatherface goes at the guy on the meathooks, it's pretty good. If I could figure out how, I'd like to splice those scenes back in. I can't understand how a movie that was only really made for shock value could cut out some of the most shocking scenes.
Dawn still sucks though.

I can agree with this.

I could have let Dawn pass for what it was, just another "zombie" movie, if it hadn't taken the title of the greatest zombie movie. Everything is just too underdeveloped though. I think I deal with the TCM remake better just because I don't even view it as a remake, it's more like another TCM sequel to me, and anything had to be better than "the Next Generation".

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:26 pm 
Unthought Known

antiyou wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
C4Lukin wrote:
Dawn of the Dead and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre were good remakes that did enough things different to warrant their existance. ... The original Omen isn't that great of a movie to begin with.

Be fair. If they left in the extended scenes in TCM it would have been a better movie. When Leatherface goes at the guy on the meathooks, it's pretty good. If I could figure out how, I'd like to splice those scenes back in. I can't understand how a movie that was only really made for shock value could cut out some of the most shocking scenes.
Dawn still sucks though.

Well, I didn't watch the deleted scenes. All I saw was a really cliched and watered down horror movie.

Want a reason?
How's about "because"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:33 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I'm not the horror buff that the rest of you folks are, but there is no way the new Dawn on the Dead came anywhere NEAR the original!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:35 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

B wrote:
I'm not the horror buff that the rest of you folks are, but there is no way the new Dawn on the Dead came anywhere NEAR the original!!

You just qualified yourself with me. Dawn is what it's all about folks. :nice:

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:07 pm 
Got Some

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
antiyou wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
C4Lukin wrote:

Dawn still sucks though.

Well, I didn't watch the deleted scenes. All I saw was a really cliched and watered down horror movie.

You missed the best part of the movie then. My girlfriend got it for me as a gift because it was mastered in DTS-ES (6.1) and I had previously bitched that not enough movies were masterd that way.
I had to accept it graciously since she actually paid attention to a technical detail. At least she didn't get me that Ashton Kutcher time travel movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:29 pm 
Unthought Known

I saw this last night. It was a much better remake than i expected it to be. I knew it couldn't be as good as the original (which it wasn't), but it was good.

For those that never saw the original, i think they will really enjoy it.

The only serious problem I had with it was Damien himself. They made him too comical!! In the original, Damien was scary. Nothing funny about it, you just didn't want the kid anywhere near you. He almost looked like he was trying NOT to be scary, just to look normal, which made it that much worse.

This kid in the new one is trying WAY too hard to look scary. He just looks like he is up to some evil shit, which comes across as just funny in some parts. The audience was laughing out loud when he is at the zoo and scares all the monkeys and when he was making a sandwich and holding a knife. These scenes weren't meant to be funny and were NOT funny in the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Gimme Some Skin wrote:
I saw this last night. It was a much better remake than i expected it to be. I knew it couldn't be as good as the original (which it wasn't), but it was good.

The only serious problem I had with it was Damien himself. They made him too comical!! In the original, Damien was scary. Nothing funny about it, you just didn't want the kid anywhere near you. He almost looked like he was trying NOT to be scary, just to look normal, which made it that much worse.

This kid in the new one is trying WAY too hard to look scary. He just looks like he is up to some evil shit, which comes across as just funny in some parts. The audience was laughing out loud when he is at the zoo and scares all the monkeys and when he was making a sandwich and holding a knife. These scenes weren't meant to be funny and were NOT funny in the original.

Let me slice a tomato for you

No, no thanks-I actually don't like tomatos.

Oh, is that right, how about I slice you, uh...slice you right up

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:44 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

jwfocker wrote:

This made me laugh for a solid five minutes. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:53 pm 
Unthought Known

jwfocker wrote:
Gimme Some Skin wrote:

He may has well have said that

:P

He was more like Chucky than Damien.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:20 pm 
Supersonic

ever play baseball stars....

damien the omen was the cleanup hitter on the monster team..it was tough to pitch to him..he was like bonds

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:25 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Outsider wrote:
diaglo wrote:
Outsider wrote:
diaglo wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Remakes are for stupid pussies that have no talent, drive or creativity. There are exceptions, but they're a small percentage.

Which is why you'll find that it is the studio execs that greenlight the vast majority of remakes, bringing in the "talent" after the fact.

Please elaborate. Are you being sarcastic or are you suggesting that a remake can work if you have the right director, producer, cast, etc.?

I do believe a remake can work if the drive behind it is a talented & creative filmmaker who can put his or her own stamp on it, or offer something slightly different but equally entertaining as the original in it's day. Good examples are Scorsese's Cape Fear, Cronenberg's The Fly, Soderberg's Ocean's Eleven, and John Sturges' The Magnificent Seven, which is a remake of The Seven Samurai.

Sometimes we get noble efforts like Psycho, King Kong, Vanilla Sky, and Dawn of the Dead that aren't lacking in the talent department but aren't really necessary remakes to begin with.

But the majority of remakes are product like Poseidon, Mr. Deeds, The Haunting, the Jackal, Red Dragon, etc that are the result of studio execs saying "hey, let's remake so and so, it'll make a killing" and then bringing in the director, screenwriter, acting, etc to mke their poor idea "watchable."

We're in complete agreement here.

same here with the only exception that I think Psycho is not even a noble effort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:27 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

bknollenberg wrote:
yeah, it's really bothersome that 87% of all movies that come out of big hollywood are either remakes, sequels, or based on books or movies or 9/11. does no one really have an original idea in their head anymore?

i do... buy my script

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:34 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

:roll:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=23553

Quote:
The Weinstein Company's Remake of THE SEVEN SAMURAI has a star and a screenwriter!

Hey folks, Harry here... ... ...sometimes - sometimes it's really hard to write these little announcements about upcoming films. Especially the remakes. Ultimately - I get the why. Why remake THE SEVEN SAMURAI? Name recognition. A strong marketable title. But... you can't hope to make a better film. And to have the film be a "development" item. A film that is being tooled by studio execs with no director attached out of passion... that makes it harder. That they pre-attach Ziyi Zhang... a star I love, but who honestly... isn't Japanese. And just right from the get go, I find that in the annoying side. The whole all asians look the same, Americans won't notice mentality. It drove me fucking nuts with MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA... which Spielberg apparently was planning to make for $10 million and all in Japanese for Sony, which didn't find that idea appealing, so instead blew out tons of money for a completely unauthentic feeling film - that just happened to be gorgeous. But in that film - the whole time I was watching it... there was that part of my brain that was saying... none of these actors are Japanese... except for that one and those couple of background actors... oh and that one there. It's a pet peeve. But it's a peeve, ya know?

Anyway - who is the screenwriter? John Fusco. The guy behind YOUNG GUNS and HIDALGO. Now... I like both of those films, but yeah... SEVEN SAMURAI? I just... I just don't know. Let's see who they end up attaching as director. Who would take the job? Variety ran the story today...

Quote:
""Samurai," which routinely shows up on crix lists of all-time best pics, is one of a trio of Asian classic remakes that Ziyi Zhang is in negotiations to star in for the Weinstein Co." - Variety

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:46 pm 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

Man, i saw the new Omen. What a joke!. Most new horror movies really are crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:00 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Mrmattsitwrame wrote:
Man, i saw the new Omen. What a joke!. Most new horror movies really are crap.

If you only see ones like this then yeah.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post subject: Re: Movie: Omen; But on a larger scale, Remakes
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:20 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Post subject: Re: Movie: Omen; But on a larger scale, Remakes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:59 am 
Supersonic

Such a senseless tragedy.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment