Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Movie: Omen; But on a larger scale, Remakes
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:59 pm 
Unthought Known

Why is Hollywood taking classic horror movies and redoing them with their fancy shmancy effects? Why don't they just pull the original film out of the vaults and take a steaming hot dump all over it.

What do you think of movie remakes? I know there have been some pretty successful attempts, but I don't think anything will do an original classic any justice. There's something about that gritty original that just cannot be topped. I couldn't imagine a movie like Seven being remade, could you? I feel just as strongly about movies like Omen and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's like Hoobastank covering "Alive". NO.

Here's information on Omen: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808706892/details

Oh, and thanks so much for the overly obvious release date. How creepy. 6.6.06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:24 pm 
Got Some

yeah, it's really bothersome that 87% of all movies that come out of big hollywood are either remakes, sequels, or based on books or movies or 9/11. does no one really have an original idea in their head anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:58 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

It's a fact, people with Josh Homme avatars do not approve of this remake.

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:23 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Remakes are for stupid pussies that have no talent, drive or creativity. There are exceptions, but they're a small percentage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Remakes are for stupid pussies that have no talent, drive or creativity. There are exceptions, but they're a small percentage.

Which is why you'll find that it is the studio execs that greenlight the vast majority of remakes, bringing in the "talent" after the fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:10 pm 
Unthought Known

Mercury wrote:
It's a fact, people with Josh Homme avatars do not approve of this remake.
:o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:11 pm 
Unthought Known

diaglo wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Which is why you'll find that it is the studio execs that greenlight the vast majority of remakes, bringing in the "talent" after the fact.

Please elaborate. Are you being sarcastic or are you suggesting that a remake can work if you have the right director, producer, cast, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Outsider wrote:
diaglo wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Please elaborate. Are you being sarcastic or are you suggesting that a remake can work if you have the right director, producer, cast, etc.?

I do believe a remake can work if the drive behind it is a talented & creative filmmaker who can put his or her own stamp on it, or offer something slightly different but equally entertaining as the original in it's day. Good examples are Scorsese's Cape Fear, Cronenberg's The Fly, Soderberg's Ocean's Eleven, and John Sturges' The Magnificent Seven, which is a remake of The Seven Samurai.

Sometimes we get noble efforts like Psycho, King Kong, Vanilla Sky, and Dawn of the Dead that aren't lacking in the talent department but aren't really necessary remakes to begin with.

But the majority of remakes are product like Poseidon, Mr. Deeds, The Haunting, the Jackal, Red Dragon, etc that are the result of studio execs saying "hey, let's remake so and so, it'll make a killing" and then bringing in the director, screenwriter, acting, etc to mke their poor idea "watchable."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:34 pm 
Unthought Known

diaglo wrote:
Outsider wrote:
diaglo wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

I do believe a remake can work if the drive behind it is a talented & creative filmmaker who can put his or her own stamp on it, or offer something slightly different but equally entertaining as the original in it's day. Good examples are Scorsese's Cape Fear, Cronenberg's The Fly, Soderberg's Ocean's Eleven, and John Sturges' The Magnificent Seven, which is a remake of The Seven Samurai.

Sometimes we get noble efforts like Psycho, King Kong, Vanilla Sky, and Dawn of the Dead that aren't lacking in the talent department but aren't really necessary remakes to begin with.

But the majority of remakes are product like Poseidon, Mr. Deeds, The Haunting, the Jackal, Red Dragon, etc that are the result of studio execs saying "hey, let's remake so and so, it'll make a killing" and then bringing in the director, screenwriter, acting, etc to mke their poor idea "watchable."

We're in complete agreement here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:58 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

I have a problem with remakes in general, especially with horror movies because it's a genre I love so much. I'd much rather see a new idea get a chance than to just tread the exact same waters all over again. As mentioned, there are exceptions to this, and I can understand remaking a movie that wasn't all that great to begin with and trying to improve upon it (the Toolbox Murders, the Hills Have Eyes). However, for the most part, I have a problem with them re-doing the classics. I loathe that now, when I talk about Dawn of the Dead, I actually have to call it Dawn 78 so someone will know I'm not talking about the Ving Rhames version.

As for the Omen, I'm not a huge fan of the original so I guess they can do whatever they want with this one. I think doing something like 28 Days Later, an obvious re-imagining and homage of the Romero flicks, is much better than just doing an outright remake. The basic story and characters are revived for a new generation, without tarnishing the classic originals.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post subject: Re: Movie: Omen; But on a larger scale, Remakes
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:22 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Outsider wrote:
Why is Hollywood taking classic horror movies and redoing them with their fancy shmancy effects? Why don't they just pull the original film out of the vaults and take a steaming hot dump all over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:52 pm 
Unthought Known

The Omen remake has no real chance of being better than the original.

Although, I did kind of enjoy the remake of TCM. Obviously not nearly as good as the original, but still kind of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 pm 
In a van down by the river

i cant wait to see miami vice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:22 pm 
Got Some

Gimme Some Skin wrote:

Although, I did kind of enjoy the remake of TCM. Obviously not nearly as good as the original, but still kind of fun.

Me too. Dawn of the Dead remake is really good. and i actually liked the Psycho remake with Vince Vaughn and William H Macy :shock:

"Just say 'here' and we'll assume 'here' is short for 'Here I am, rock you like a hurricane!'"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:46 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Just Justin wrote:
Gimme Some Skin wrote:

Me too. Dawn of the Dead remake is really good. and i actually liked the Psycho remake with Vince Vaughn and William H Macy :shock:

See to me redoing Dawn and TCM is like someone re-writing the bible to me. Even I could enjoy the movie in an "it's only a sequel sense", it's still treading on holy ground to me. I am interested in the TCM prequel though.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:36 pm 
Unthought Known

Has anyone seen the trailer? It seriously looks like the EXACT same movie, only shitty.

Want a reason?
How's about "because"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:54 am 
AnalLog

bknollenberg wrote:
yeah, it's really bothersome that 87% of all movies that come out of big hollywood are either remakes, sequels, or based on booksor movies or 9/11. does no one really have an original idea in their head anymore?

What's wrong with movies based on books? All but one of Kubrick's movies was based on a book.

Always do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:33 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Orpheus wrote:
bknollenberg wrote:
yeah, it's really bothersome that 87% of all movies that come out of big hollywood are either remakes, sequels, or based on booksor movies or 9/11. does no one really have an original idea in their head anymore?

What's wrong with movies based on books? All but one of Kubrick's movies was based on a book.

I agree. Basing a movie on a book and remaking another movie are completely different. Books and movies are two mediums, so basing a movie on a book is just translating a piece of art into another medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:41 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
bknollenberg wrote:

I agree. Basing a movie on a book and remaking another movie are completely different. Books and movies are two mediums, so basing a movie on a book is just translating a piece of art into another medium.

Agreed. They are vastly different and I always find it funny when people complain that a movie wasn't exactly like the book it was adapted from. So many people forget that film is first and foremost a visual medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:41 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Has anyone seen the trailer? It seriously looks like the EXACT same movie, only shitty.

I think the original movie is kind of shitty, so I don't see how that's any different. I've just always been indifferent to that whole series.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment