Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next

Best season?
Season 1 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Season 2 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Season 3 26%  26%  [ 14 ]
Season 4 36%  36%  [ 19 ]
Season 5 (no) 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 52
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:17 am 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
B wrote:
Buggy wrote:
B wrote:
I got disc 1 of season 1 this week from Netflix. Three episodes in, it failed to excite me. I heard this was great, but I'm dropping it.

Don't. Season 1 is fabulous. Finish her off, boy.

Then why are the first 3 episodes so boring?

It probably took me until halfway through the first season before I was absolutely hooked. I wouldn't call the first three episodes boring, but it does take a bit to get comfortable with the show.

So many characters and plotlines are introduced in those first few episodes. It takes a little while to get familiar with all of them, but once you do, it will blow your mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:54 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I'm sorry guys, I gave the series 3 hours. You gotta hook me in 3 hours, or I got other stuff to watch. And for that matter, I've got a 4 month old in the house.

Post subject: TV: The Wire
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:48 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

I managed to catch one of the episodes the other day and was intrigued.

Should I get all 3 seasons on DVD?

Post subject: Re: TV: The Wire
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:22 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

fakeplasticdreams wrote:

Hells yes; it's the best show on TV. You can also download season 4 in its entirety right now.

Post subject: Re: TV: The Wire
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:32 am 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
fakeplasticdreams wrote:

Hells yes; it's the best show on TV. You can also download season 4 in its entirety right now.

Do it. I tell everyone I meet about it. Don't be a puss like B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:09 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Just goes to show what a joke awards shows are when a show like 24 wins best drama instead of The Wire.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/0 ... index.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Walking back to his trailer while shooting the first season of "The Wire," Andre Royo was still in character as the homeless junkie and informant Bubbles -- face scarred, hair a craggy black mess -- when a real junkie approached with what Royo calls his "Street Oscar."

"He said, 'Yo, you need this, man. You look like you need a hit,' " recalls Royo. "I laughed a little bit and I got emotional. I was like, 'Wow, he thinks I'm a junkie for real.' I felt validated."

Royo had to discard his "Oscar" before flying home (airlines might not recognize a bag of heroin as an acting trophy), but the gesture was reward enough for Royo. It's also about as close as any actor on the acclaimed HBO series has come to awards recognition, even though the Baltimore drama has been hailed with hyperbole by critics. (HBO, like CNN, is a unit of Time Warner.)

On Sunday, Bubbles serves as an unusual reservoir of humanity as "The Wire" airs the fourth season's finale (10 p.m. EST). Bubbles has long been one of the show's most moral characters, captivating in his struggle to fight addiction and hopelessness on a show that revolves around futility.

This season has focused on a handful of young teenagers in West Baltimore's broken school system. The final episodes find various characters fighting for the futures of the kids -- and none is more affecting than Bubs' unlikely mentoring of a homeless boy, which plays out tragically.

Bubbles' emotional scenes represent a climax for both the character and Royo, who has taken a role originally meant for just seven episodes and made it one of the show's most popular. But as always on "The Wire" -- be it politics, police bureaucracy or the code of the street -- Royo's acting career has been a long road of playing "the game."

The 38-year-old was raised in the Bronx, New York. After high school he wanted to act, but he had no idea how to pursue that career -- all he had heard on TV were stories of various stars being "discovered." So he spent two years "just hanging' out in Manhattan" at the clubs, dressing weird, hoping that someone would "discover" him.

Royo eventually found acting classes, which led to off-off-Broadway plays, a job in TLC's "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" video and a small part on "Law & Order." His biggest breakthrough was a notable role in John Singleton's "Shaft."

Royo, whose father is Cuban, was often told he wasn't "black enough for the black roles" or "Spanish enough for the Spanish roles," and that he simply "looked Ethiopian." But he landed the part of Bubbles for the pilot of "The Wire" -- not that he thought it was a big break at the time.

The dense plot and lack of standard cop show action made Royo think "The Wire" didn't have a chance. Besides, he says, "You get nervous. You go, 'How can I make this character not cliche?' " So he spent time with junkies in New York and Baltimore -- and found that every junkie is different.

"They were very stern on making sure that if you're a heroin addict, you're not a cocaine addict -- they act differently," he says. "At the end of the day, it helped me remove myself from trying to find certain tricks and just be me."
From the street

Like so much of "The Wire," the character of Bubbles was taken directly from the street. Ed Burns, who helped create the show with David Simon (a former Baltimore journalist) and writes many of the episodes, was Baltimore police for years (later becoming a school teacher). For 15 years, Bubbles was one of his best informants.

"In his prime, whatever happened in West Baltimore, he knew about," Burns says of the real Bubbles, who he remembers fondly as an honest, unique person. "There's a lot of honor in the game, you just have to find it and sort of cultivate it."

When Bubbles died of AIDS in the late '80s, Simon wrote an obituary for him, but without Bubbles' name because his family wanted it kept anonymous. Burns still recognizes Bubs in Royo's performance.

"Andre has a very Chaplinesque way of being," says Burns. "There's a little walk that he does after the first time he's robbed and the guy takes his shoes off and takes the drugs. He picks himself up and he walks over to the cart and the kids laugh at him. That wasn't in the script -- that was something he did as an actor. He looked like Quasimodo."

Burns largely credits the appeal of Bubbles to Royo's sympathetic portrayal.

"It's this feeling of loss that you have when you see a human being with such potential trapped in this world. He's more of our conscience," he says. "You can feel comfortable writing anything for (Royo). You know he can reach it."

At the same time, it's easy to wonder if the potential of Royo and much of the ensemble cast has been largely untapped because of either casting directors' unwillingness to try the actors in different roles or because of a subtle racist disinterest for a largely African-American program.

"After the first season, I got a lot of being-on-cocaine, being-on-meth" roles offered to me, says Royo. "Did it bother me? Not at all. I was stereotyped when I was waiting tables."

"You got to show Hollywood that you can play the game," he says. "I'll come into every scene or character 100 percent, and sooner or later, good acting will transcend."

Having moved with his wife and daughter to Los Angeles, where they have opened a restaurant, Royo is understandably ready for some new challenges.

"I've been snitching for a long time now. The first job I had on 'Law & Order' I was snitching," he says, also citing his roles in "Third Watch" and "Shaft." "For some reason, they look at me and think, 'That (guy) will tell. ... But I am Bubbles. There's a part of me that's invested and I want to make sure his story is fully told."

Royo is also disappointed that more of the mainstream media hasn't paid attention to his castmates -- no late shows, no Oprah Winfrey.

"It's our loss," says Burns, citing the talent of Royo and a dozen other actors on "The Wire," from Michael K. Williams (Omar) to Wendell Pierce (Bunk Moreland).

"These guys clearly cut the mustard. They can act with anyone," says Burns. "I don't know why it has to be this 'You can play a drug addict; you can play the good sidekick.' These are the roles that these actors end up doing and it's a shame."

In March, "The Wire" begins production for a fifth and final season, which is expected to run in either late 2007 or early 2008 and will focus on the media of Baltimore. Will Bubbles still be a big part of the show?

"If you know my character well, you're going to have to put a little money on the table," jokes Royo. "If you want to find out that kind of information, it's gonna cost you a little bit."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:53 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

So, I was playing Grand Theft Auto the other day, and was like...damn, The Wire is basically just GTA with emphasis on drugs instead of car jacking. The similarities are ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:04 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Buggy wrote:
So, I was playing Grand Theft Auto the other day, and was like...damn, The Wire is basically just GTA with emphasis on drugs instead of car jacking. The similarities are ridiculous.

Not seeing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:14 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
Not seeing it.

GTA is like, "what if I was one of these drug dealing characters in the Wire". And you play the whole game from their perspective. You'd miss out on the other half (the police side). But as far as the drug dealing gangster half, it's pretty spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:14 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Buggy wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
Not seeing it.

GTA is like, "what if I was one of these drug dealing characters in the Wire". And you play the whole game from their perspective. You'd miss out on the other half (the police side). But as far as the drug dealing gangster half, it's pretty spot on.

Okay.

(translated: you are smoking copious amounts of illegal narcotics)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:15 am 
Mike's Maniac

it made me happy beyond belief to find this wire thread in here. it is the best show on tv without a doubt in my mind. I'm so bummed that its probably going to be another year at least until Season 5 comes out. I guess I'll just have to watch Seasons 1-4 over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:30 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

aintitthelife98 wrote:
it made me happy beyond belief to find this wire thread in here. it is the best show on tv without a doubt in my mind. I'm so bummed that its probably going to be another year at least until Season 5 comes out. I guess I'll just have to watch Seasons 1-4 over!

At least there IS a season 5. HBO actually made a decision based on the quality of the show as opposed to ratings when it greenlighted the final season. They made up for cancelling Carnivale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:08 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Ensign9 wrote:
aintitthelife98 wrote:

At least there IS a season 5. HBO actually made a decision based on the quality of the show as opposed to ratings when it greenlighted the final season. They made up for cancelling Carnivale.

Good point. I never watched Carnivale but I heard it was good. My wife and I are addicted to Big Love, Sopranos and of course The Wire.

Nice siq line by the way. How great was it by the way having Omar steal that shipment and then walk back into Prop Joe's store and sell it back to him and then ask for his clock he had dropped off and pay him for it. Omar's character is amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:21 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

aintitthelife98 wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
aintitthelife98 wrote:

Good point. I never watched Carnivale but I heard it was good. My wife and I are addicted to Big Love, Sopranos and of course The Wire.

Nice siq line by the way. How great was it by the way having Omar steal that shipment and then walk back into Prop Joe's store and sell it back to him and then ask for his clock he had dropped off and pay him for it. Omar's character is amazing!

I think I saw him on Law & Order a few weeks ago, playing essentially the same character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:47 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Ensign9 wrote:
aintitthelife98 wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
aintitthelife98 wrote:

I think I saw him on Law & Order a few weeks ago, playing essentially the same character.

He's got it down to a science. I saw a Law & Order SVU episode that had Omar and Namond on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Okay so why did Prop Joe tell Omar where and when to steal the stash?

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:00 am 
Mike's Maniac

SuperNintendoChalmers wrote:
Okay so why did Prop Joe tell Omar where and when to steal the stash?

Omar was just suppose to steal Marlo's part of it as payback for setting him for that murder. If Prop Joe didn't, Omar was going to tell Marlo that Prop Joe told him about the card game to stick up where he robbed Marlo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:06 pm 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

I just an ad for Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls. Stringer plays the main character. I actually might see this.

http://www.myspace.com/thekeysers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 pm 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

NeilJam - Season 2 might be my favorite although I still haven't finished season 4. I need to buy these DVDs to watch it again.

Not only do you get some great new characters, but you also get to see what might be the greatest set of breasts ever shown on TV.

http://www.myspace.com/thekeysers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:06 pm 
Got Some

Kevin Costner wrote:
NeilJam - Season 2 might be my favorite although I still haven't finished season 4. I need to buy these DVDs to watch it again.

Not only do you get some great new characters, but you also get to see what might be the greatest set of breasts ever shown on TV.

i saw what's her names tits in episode 4...is that who u are talking about?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment