Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: favourite book passages
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:51 am 
Spaceman

pretty self explanatory. here's one of mine:

In a way, it was sort of depressing, too, because you kept wondering what the hell would happen to all of them. When they got out of school and college, I mean. You figured most of them would probably marry dopey guys. Guys that always talk about how many miles they get to a gallon in their goddamn cars. Guys that get sore and childish as hell if you best them at golf, or even just some stupid game like ping-pong. Guys that are very mean. Guys that never read books.
j.d. salinger, the catcher in the rye

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:42 am 
Supersonic

Far below, the breeze ran upon the shining blades of corn, and they heard the footsteps running. It was faint at first and far away, but it rose and drew near, steadily, a hundred men running, two hundred, three, not fast, but running easily and forever, the one sound of a hundred men running. "Listen," he said. "It is the race of the dead, and it happens here."

- N. Scott Momaday, House Made of Dawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:58 am 
In a van down by the river

dear penthouse,

i cant believe this happend to me, last summer i was working as a pool boy for this really hot married blonde....

best of penthouse forum, trade paper back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:14 am 
not a big Gay guy

you'll have to look up the nick hornby thread for mine.

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I have a trunk full but the first that comes to mind:

-Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:39 am 
Johnny Guitar

God is the Unique, and he is so perfect that he does not resemble any of the things that exist or any of the things that do not; you cannot describe him using your human intelligence, as if he were someone who becomes angry if you are bad or worries about you out of goodness, someone who has a mouth, ears, face, wings, or that is spirit, father or son, not even of himself. Of the Unique you cannot say he is or is not, he embraces all but is nothing; you can name him only through dissimilarity, because it is futile to call him Goodness, Beauty, Wisdom, Amiability, Power, Justice, it would be like calling him Bear, Panther, Serpent, Dragon, or Gryphon, because whatever you say of him you will never express him. God is not body, is not figure, is not form; he does not see, does not hear, does not know disorder and perturbation; he is not soul, intelligence, imagination, opinion, thought, word, number, order, size; he is not equality and is not inequality, is not time and is not eternity; he is a will without purpose. Try to understand, Baudolino: God is a lamp without flame, a flame without fire, a fire without heat, a dark light, a silent rumble, a blind flash, a luminous soot, a ray of his own darkness, a circle that expands concentrating on its own center, a solitary simplicity; he is...is...” She paused, seeking an example that would convince them both, she the teacher and he the pupil. “He is a space that is not, in which you and I are the same thing, as we are today in this time that doesn’t flow.”

umberto eco - baudolino; not because of the subject, but because of the use of words. i love all those oxymorons.

more to follow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:44 am 
Black Metal Hero

That line in The Fellowship Of The Ring where it says something like "They went to go fetch more fagots to throw on the fire".

And many parts of James Joyce's work. Specifically "Six O'clock on a Christmas morning, and for what?" which was also sampled in a Dream Theater song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:56 am 
Got Some

Peeps wrote:
dear penthouse,

i cant believe this happend to me, last summer i was working as a pool boy for this really hot married blonde....

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:58 am 
Black Metal Hero

J wrote:
Peeps wrote:
dear penthouse,

:lol:

Peeps only reads those mags for the articles, I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:27 am 
Spaceman

knuckles of frisco wrote:

i remember the one you mean. great great choice, but is it really that... classic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:38 am 
Devil's Advocate

There's about 100 in "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:58 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Like silent, hungry sharks that swim in the darkness of the sea, the German submarines arrived in the middle of the night.

-Theodore Taylor
"The Cay"

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:06 am 
not a big Gay guy

Athletic Supporter wrote:
There's about 100 in "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers.

"...and because i have creative facial hair."

i kinda hated that book the first time i read it, but i read it again about a month ago and now its in my top ten, maybe top five.

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:46 am 
Johnny Guitar

"It was foreseen that the city of mirrors (or mirages) would be wiped out by the wind and exiled from the memory of men at the precise moment when Aureliano Babilonia would finish deciphering the parchments, and that everything written on them was unrepeatable since time immemorial and forevermore, because races condemned to one hundred years of solitude did not have a second opportunity on earth."

amazing book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:10 am 
Interweb Celebrity

it's from a william zinsser book, i'll have to find it.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:36 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I'm paraphrasing here but:

"If you want to see an image of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face, forever."

-George Orwell, 1984

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:53 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Warning: this will be long:

She was outside his hovel before dawn. Inside, she could hear him already awake. She knocked. He appeared, stood in the doorway. Behind him, she could see a tiny candle, open books. He waited. She looked at him. Then she looked away.
He was too beautiful.

"I love you," Buttercup said. "I know this must come as something of a surprise, since all I have ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more. I thought an hour ago that I loved you more than any woman has ever loved a man, but a half hour after that I knew that what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. But then minutes after that, I understood that my previous love was a puddle compared to the high seas before a storm. Your eyes are like that, did you know? Well, they are. How many minutes ago was I? Twenty? Had I brought my feelings up to then? It doesn't matter." Buttercup still could not look at him. The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back and it gave her courage. "I love you so much more now than twenty minutes ago that there cannot be comparison. I love you so much more now than when you opened your hovel door that there can not be comparison. There is no room in my body for anything but you. My arms love you, my ears adore you, my knees shake with blind affection. My mind begs you to ask it something so it can obey. Do you want me to follow you for the rest of your days? I will do that. Do you want me to crawl? I will crawl. I will be quiet for you or sing for you, or if you are hungry, let me bring you food, or if you have thirst and nothing will quench it but Arabian wine, I will go to Araby, even though it is across the world, and bring a bottle back for your lunch. Anything there is that I can do for you, I will fo for you; anything there is that I cannot do, I will learn to do. I know I cannot compete with the Countess in skills or wisdom or appeal, and I saw the way she looked at you. And I saw the way you looked at her. But remember, please, that she is old and has other interests, while i am seventeen and for me there is only you. Dearest Westley - I've never called you that before, have I? Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, darling Westely, adored Westley, sweet perfect Westley, whisper that I have a chance to win your love." And with that, she dared the bravest thing she'd ever done: she looked right into his eyes.
He closed the door in her face.
Without a word.
~The Princess Bride - William Goldman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:58 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

vacatetheword wrote:

i remember the one you mean. great great choice, but is it really that... classic?

do "favorites" and "classics" always coincide with you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:05 am 
Spaceman

WM as Kevin McCallister wrote:
vacatetheword wrote:

of course not. classic was a bad word to use.

also, post yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:50 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

vacatetheword wrote:
WM as Kevin McCallister wrote:
vacatetheword wrote:

of course not. classic was a bad word to use.

also, post yours.

Quote:
So the Little Prince, despite all the goodwill of his love, had soon come to mistrust her. He had taken seriously certain inconsequential remarks and had grown very unhappy.

"I shouldn't have listened to her", he confided to me one day. "You must never listen to flowers. You must look at them and smell them. Mine perfumed my planet, but I didn't know how to enjoy that. The business about tiger claws, instead of annoying me, ought to have moved me..."

And he confided further, "In those days, I didn't understand anything. I should have judged her according to her actions, not her words. She perfumed my planet and lit up my life. I should never have run away! I ought to have realized the tenderness underlying her silly pretensions. Flowers are so contradictory! But i was too young to know how to love her."

-The Little Prince

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment