Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:10 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Does anyone know what the lawsuit concerning Fellowship is about, specifically?

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 pm 
Cameron's Stallion

Simple Torture wrote:
Does anyone know what the lawsuit concerning Fellowship is about, specifically?

Shocking fans who had assumed that director Peter Jackson, who was responsible for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, would direct The Hobbit -- a kind of prequel to those films -- and another Lord of the Rings epic, Jackson said on theonering.net website Sunday that he had been advised by New Line that the studio "would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit ...[and] was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker." Jackson said that the studio cited the ongoing lawsuit that Jackson filed against New Line in June of 2005, charging that the studio had committed fraud in reporting the revenue for 2001's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, which allegedly resulted in Jackson being underpaid millions of dollars. If the notice from New Line was a ploy to induce Jackson to drop or settle the lawsuit -- as Jackson seems to suggest in his message to "Ringers" -- it apparently failed to achieve its objective. In the message, Jackson said that he was "very sorry our involvement with The Hobbit has been ended in this way. ... This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects."

http://imdb.com/news/sb/2006-11-20/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:19 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

MarshVegas wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
I think there's no way Ian Mckellen agrees to be a part of this without Jackson involved.

He did X Men 3 no problem, and with a big enough pay check he'll do the Hobbit movies.

He was under contract for X-Men 3. No such deal is in place for The Hobbit, if I'm not mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ensign9 wrote:
MarshVegas wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
I think there's no way Ian Mckellen agrees to be a part of this without Jackson involved.

He did X Men 3 no problem, and with a big enough pay check he'll do the Hobbit movies.

He was under contract for X-Men 3. No such deal is in place for The Hobbit, if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken.

And don't forget Andy Serkis. Without him for Gollum .. well, it ain't Gollum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 pm 
Got Some

diaglo wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
MarshVegas wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

You're not mistaken.

And don't forget Andy Serkis. Without him for Gollum .. well, it ain't Gollum.

I hate to see that Jackson is not involved, but I don't think Gollum will be that hard to do. I have heard many people imitate that voice very well, so I would say that won't be much of an issue, and if I remember right from reading the book Gollum won't be seen all that much since the cave they are in is pitch dark. I can't remember if he makes an appearence in any other part of the book though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:03 am 
Of Counsel

Oh, this idea is sounding better and better. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:11 am 
losing relevance

You guys do realize if Peter Jackson is out the movie is fucked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:19 am 
Stone's Bitch

Dev wrote:

I can see where this fella is going here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:52 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Dev wrote:

I don't know. With Peter Jackson directing, people's standards are going to be set very high. I don't know if he'd be able to reach them again. Maybe it was a one-time deal. I mean, King Kong really sucked. Maybe another director could be better for this.

Yes, I know that I'm lying to myself. Except for the King King comment. Hopefully, this'll fix itself, and they'll ask Peter Jackson to make the movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:03 am 
Got Some

The Argonaut wrote:
I mean, King Kong really sucked.

Wow, is that pretty much a lot of peoples opinions? I'm not downing your opinion or anything, but I thought it was done very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:27 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Watch The Flames wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Wow, is that pretty much a lot of peoples opinions? I'm not downing your opinion or anything, but I thought it was done very well.

I thought it was just action, action, action, action, action, action, silly dialogue, and no actual story. Granted, everyone already knows the story, but...there was no movie, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:06 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Watch The Flames wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

I give it a C+/B-, only because the Kong effects were so great. It was WAY too long and just a bunch of scenes crammed together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:36 am 
Interweb Celebrity

he got dropped?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061121/peo ... jackson_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Where is Frodo when you need him? Director Peter Jackson has been told he will not be hired to direct a movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien novel "The Hobbit," despite the nearly $3 billion global box office success of his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, according to a letter Jackson wrote to fan site TheOneRing.net.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:16 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
he got dropped?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061121/peo ... jackson_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Where is Frodo when you need him? Director Peter Jackson has been told he will not be hired to direct a movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien novel "The Hobbit," despite the nearly $3 billion global box office success of his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, according to a letter Jackson wrote to fan site TheOneRing.net.

Read the thread, c_b...or die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

dropping jackson is a big mistake on the part of the studio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ensign9 wrote:
Watch The Flames wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

I give it a C+/B-, only because the Kong effects were so great. It was WAY too long and just a bunch of scenes crammed together.

If 30 minutes or so had been trimmed, primarily the Jimmy/Captain Hayes subplot, it would have been much better. There's a good movie in there. King Kong is first and foremost escapist action adventure, and that's what Jackson and Co. delivered. The realization of Kong alone makes it a B+ for me. Plus every scene with Ann and Kong are absolute gold.

About this Hobbit mess, it certainly sounds like Jackson is moving on now. I'm glad. The studio's plans of The Hobbit plus this mystery LOTR "prequel" sound terrible, and I have alot of respect for Jackson's comments in that email about his motivations for making movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:31 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

diaglo wrote:
I have alot of respect for Jackson's comments in that email about his motivations for making movies.

Well, to be fair, he IS suing the studio for MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. I'm not saying it isnt owed to him, but no matter what he says, it is about money too. I respect Jackson as a director and an artist. But everyone wants their fair share of the profits as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Buggy wrote:
diaglo wrote:
I have alot of respect for Jackson's comments in that email about his motivations for making movies.

Well, to be fair, he IS suing the studio for MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. I'm not saying it isnt owed to him, but no matter what he says, it is about money too. I respect Jackson as a director and an artist. But everyone wants their fair share of the profits as well.

Millions of dollars that are supposedly owed to him based on the contract he signed with New Line. Of course money is always a factor in making movies, but Jackson said it's never the driving force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:58 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

diaglo wrote:
Jackson said it's never the driving force.

Heck, maybe he'll do it for free! I'm sure the studio would allow it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:11 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Buggy wrote:
diaglo wrote:
Jackson said it's never the driving force.

Heck, maybe he'll do it for free! I'm sure the studio would allow it :wink:

You know what I mean.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment