Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Fringe
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kahli Sana wrote:
I'm still with the show, but I have to admit I'm barely hanging on. I'm not sure that the girl they cast in the lead is a very good actress - seems sort of wooden - and I'm consistently having problems believing that a man locked up in an institution for 17 years who's taking anti-psychotics (self-prescribed, no less), can #1, remember the science he used to be involved in, and #2, function at a level that works for these high-pressure situations. Also, I find it hard to believe that he and his partner basically discovered all sorts of things back in the day and one ends up in an institution and the other ends up with a huge corporation. I also am not convinced this guy is a great actor, either. Surprisingly, Joshua Jackson is the best actor in the cast of majors, IMHO.

Also, on a very minor note, I thought it was interesting that in the lab, they managed to recreate this solidifying compound (Joshua Jackson had it in a jar as proof they'd done it), but then they go on to say that there's three compounds needed that only can be obtained through Massive Dynamics. Minor error, but an error nonetheless.

The more I think on this show, the less inclined I am to continue viewing it. It's pretty bad when my wife, a social worker, comments on how far-fetched the "science" is...

I don't think it was an error. I think you are going to see that massive Dynamic's compounds and most of their inovations were invented by Dr. Bishop or at leaset based on his work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:14 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

fitzy wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
I'm still with the show, but I have to admit I'm barely hanging on. I'm not sure that the girl they cast in the lead is a very good actress - seems sort of wooden - and I'm consistently having problems believing that a man locked up in an institution for 17 years who's taking anti-psychotics (self-prescribed, no less), can #1, remember the science he used to be involved in, and #2, function at a level that works for these high-pressure situations. Also, I find it hard to believe that he and his partner basically discovered all sorts of things back in the day and one ends up in an institution and the other ends up with a huge corporation. I also am not convinced this guy is a great actor, either. Surprisingly, Joshua Jackson is the best actor in the cast of majors, IMHO.

Also, on a very minor note, I thought it was interesting that in the lab, they managed to recreate this solidifying compound (Joshua Jackson had it in a jar as proof they'd done it), but then they go on to say that there's three compounds needed that only can be obtained through Massive Dynamics. Minor error, but an error nonetheless.

The more I think on this show, the less inclined I am to continue viewing it. It's pretty bad when my wife, a social worker, comments on how far-fetched the "science" is...

I don't think it was an error. I think you are going to see that massive Dynamic's compounds and most of their inovations were invented by Dr. Bishop or at leaset based on his work.

I guess I can see that... I wonder why the MD head boss guy didn't get thrown in jail at the same time Bishop was sent to an institution if they were as close of partners as they seem to have been...maybe that's a future story arc...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:26 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kahli Sana wrote:
I'm still with the show, but I have to admit I'm barely hanging on. I'm not sure that the girl they cast in the lead is a very good actress - seems sort of wooden

I only just now gotten around to watching the 3rd episode, and about 20 minutes in I was thinking the exact same thing.

invention wrote:
every episode is pretty much the same plot/resolution.

This is another good point. And what's worse is they cue the music and the camera angles like it's some big surprise, but guess what -- oooooh, in the very last scene we keep finding out Massive Dynamics is hiding something sinister.

And in this ep, the scene where that dead woman's partner comes to identify the body, did anyone else guess immediately that he was doing something to her when he went into the room, not merely brushing along her hand (as if whistfully remembering a colleague that he was perhaps more than just colleagues with :roll: ) I knew right away he was doing something bad.
And maybe it's because I wasn't paying close enough attention because deep down I wasn't that interested, but I'm not sure what they were saying with the final reveal. That Agent Scott was part of the same "network" of communicating that this kid was that was getting the visions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The problem is the characters. They're all horribly underwritten. I know it's only 3 episodes old, but they've given us next to nothing.

There's nothing interesting about them, nothing unique about them that we as viewers can relate to on a human level. All their drama is contained within their own line of work/experience that is very far removed from everyday people. Inventing paranormal doorways that have been obtained by a monster corporation? Being an FBI agent who was in love with a bad guy working for said monster corporation? Having a genius-level IQ (and not showing an inkling of it in the show)? Yeah, that's some good character-building to draw us in.

They're putting plot first, and it's hurting the show. A guy like Abrams should know this. It doesn't help that every show so far has been structured exactly the same:

Opening scenes: crazy shit.
1st act: investigating crazy shit and realizing that Bishop/Massive Dynamic has ties to it.
2nd act: experimenting.
3rd act: Figuring it out; chase scene
Epilogue: Last minute glimpse into characters as people/Massive Dynamic reveal

I do like the work that John Noble's doing as Bishop, but he's a really good actor breathing alot of life into what he's given. Everyone else: not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:27 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Why didn't someone tell me that while I was watching this shit I was missing Heroes?? :x :x :x :x

Fuck this show! It sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Something I forgot that bothered me about this 3rd episode. What the fuck was the point of the 2 students who were lost knocking on the door right in the middle of them drilling into that guy's head?? What, strictly as a way to add suspense and dark comedy? LAAAAAAAME. I was sure that was going to come back later into the story somehow. That's just bad, cliched writing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:20 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Against my better judgement, I watched last night's show and vowed that if it didn't improve by leaps and bounds, I would erase the timer on my DVR.

Timer erased. Fuck this noise. :fail:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 pm 
Supersonic

i didn't watch this week, goodbye.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:46 am 
Unthought Known

I enjoyed this week. It kinda diverted from the formula of the first three episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

frankly, it's ridiculous..the only reason I might hang on for a few more eps is Joshua Jackson :P (and to a point John Noble)...but it's getting worse not better!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:39 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'm in the process of DLing the 3rd ep, will give it another try. But just got word -- Fox has officially picked it up for a full season 24 ep order.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:25 pm 
Mike's Maniac

It not that bad. The old man is great, the woman is wooden but it's got potential.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:44 pm 
Force of Nature

I'm still hanging on..but I dont know for how long ..

I thought it was cool in ep 3 when they ordered video from Harvard of the Kresge building from the Countway Library..there is really a camera there...but the screen shots of Harvard are so NOT Harvard..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:09 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

This show is shit. I mean the same guys who wrote Transformers wrote it, which says a lot. I've watched a few weeks just because the friends I watch house with like to watch this afterwards just to make jokes about. Awful show though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:02 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

confirmed for 22 episodes

OLO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:08 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

the first non-MD related episode, and SURPRISE, it was good!

the Observer was a nice character and the plot was good, they need to keep this going on

it may get good after all

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:32 am 
Got Some

I am only up to episode 3, but this show is just not going to make it. When Joshua Jackson is the best actor you have in your show, then you are in trouble. The lead actress is extremely cute, but that is it. She has zero charisma and her concerned face is the same as her sad face which is the same as her "I just killed my fiancé face," which is the same as her walking into a room face. Not to mention that every conflict that arises in the show has been solved in the exact same way over the past three episodes. "They have memories or visions, lets hook them up to a machine and find out what they are and solve this shit." They need to throw a curveball soon or this is going to get repetitive real fast.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:24 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Eh. I gave up. Like many reviewers said, it's just an updated X-Files with a little bit of Bones and House thrown in. And some scenes seem to go totally for shock factor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

patrick wrote:
Eh. I gave up. Like many reviewers said, it's just an updated X-Files with a little bit of Bones and House thrown in. And some scenes seem to go totally for shock factor.

But the difference is that the X-Files was new and different - Fringe is tired and cliche. X-Files had characters you cared about and tried to keep things somewhat believable (except when they weren't but that was by design - and even then, they played by a set of rules that, by and large, they kept to). This show just assumes you are a moron and that they can do whatever they want and we'll buy it.

Oh, and BTW - good to see you again, Patrick (last we spoke it was in person in Calgary)...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:12 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Kahli Sana wrote:
patrick wrote:

But the difference is that the X-Files was new and different - Fringe is tired and cliche. X-Files had characters you cared about and tried to keep things somewhat believable (except when they weren't but that was by design - and even then, they played by a set of rules that, by and large, they kept to). This show just assumes you are a moron and that they can do whatever they want and we'll buy it.

Oh, and BTW - good to see you again, Patrick (last we spoke it was in person in Calgary)...

That's my point. X-Files was new and different. Fringe is basically the same thing, but only tries to appear fresh with elements of House--the medical mystery of the week--and Bones--the kitschy CSI-like procedural.

Good to see ya again, too dude. Calgary seems so long ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment