Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: Comic Book Movies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:35 pm 
Unthought Known

Al wrote:
Batman 1989 fuckers

I take it Michael Keaton really does it for you as a leading man/action hero. You must be a huge fan of Mr. Mom and Gung Ho.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

bondcfh007 wrote:
300 sucks

I don't think it's necessarily a "good" movie. But it is pretty awesome. I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:43 pm 
Reissued

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Al wrote:
Batman 1989 fuckers

I take it Michael Keaton really does it for you as a leading man/action hero. You must be a huge fan of Mr. Mom and Gung Ho.

both were cinematic masterpieces

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:45 pm 
Unthought Known

denverapolis wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Al wrote:
Batman 1989 fuckers

Pacific Heights was the bomb. Maybe Keaton should have been the Joker...

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:17 am 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

The Argonaut wrote:
I was never into comic books as a kid, but I did get into 'graphic novels' last year and have been reading some of the most famous. In terms of recent movies, I loved Batman Begins and Sin City. I liked Spiderman, Spiderman 2, 300. Iron Man was an OK movie, but there wasn't a lot there in terms of plot. Also, I just don't think he's my type of superhero: guns and bombs and whatnot. I'm also really excited for The Watchmen and especially The Dark Knight.

i agree with pretty much 95% of this. It's not so much my genre but I can take some of them for what they are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:48 am 
Supersonic

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
denverapolis wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Al wrote:
Batman 1989 fuckers

That's pretty brilliant. He could have done something interestingly dark with the character. Not with the same director, obviously, but....

I guess the thing is, the years since the first Superman have been years that have drawn more and more towards gritty emotive realism and further and further from exaggerated flair, which is probably one reason so many of us hate Bay. The dark humor and twisted characters of 1989 seemed pretty direct after the movies of the 80's. Similarly, the purples and prances of 1989 simply don't age well when 2008 is aimed at even darker territories.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:26 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
bondcfh007 wrote:
300 sucks

I don't think it's necessarily a "good" movie. But it is pretty awesome. I like it.

The movie did an awesome job of adapting the novel. And I love the novel. Hence, I loved the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:51 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The Argonaut wrote:
I was never into comic books as a kid, but I did get into 'graphic novels' last year and have been reading some of the most famous. In terms of recent movies, I loved Batman Begins and Sin City. I liked Spiderman, Spiderman 2, 300. Iron Man was an OK movie, but there wasn't a lot there in terms of plot. Also, I just don't think he's my type of superhero: guns and bombs and whatnot. I'm also really excited for The Watchmen and especially The Dark Knight.

Wow, Arg.. you consider Iron Man to be just "ok" while you really liked Spidey 2? Hmm, because it seems usually we share a lot of the same tastes. I don't know, maybe it was a thing of too much hype to live up to, because ultimately Spidey 2 disappointed me.

Also while I really liked the first Spidey initially it felt like, it hasn't held up as well on repeat viewings. I mean, and maybe this has been talked about ad nauseum, but that rooftop scene between Spiderman and the GG after Goblin has kidnapped him and presenting the idea of working together, that played to me as just laughably bad. For one thing the fact that Goblin's mask had nothing organic about it at all, Dafoe had to totally overact with his body to convey any emotion (but I'm not familiar enough with the comics, if the original mask was like that.. ?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:03 pm 
Unthought Known

McParadigm wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
denverapolis wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
Al wrote:
Batman 1989 fuckers

That's pretty brilliant. He could have done something interestingly dark with the character. Not with the same director, obviously, but....

well I was kidding about Keaton as the joker, but you know what - he would have been better in that role than as Batman. In fact, the entire cast of that movie sucked except for Nicholson and maybe Palance.

Quote:
I guess the thing is, the years since the first Superman have been years that have drawn more and more towards gritty emotive realism and further and further from exaggerated flair, which is probably one reason so many of us hate Bay. The dark humor and twisted characters of 1989 seemed pretty direct after the movies of the 80's. Similarly, the purples and prances of 1989 simply don't age well when 2008 is aimed at even darker territories.

which is why Burton's Batman is so overrated IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

you guys like men. Burton's Batman rules in so many different ways.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:30 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Unbreakable is my favorite comic book movie if it counts. Does that count?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:13 pm 
Unthought Known

Al wrote:
you guys like men. Burton's Batman rules in so many different ways.

I bet I can think of more ways in which it sucks.

Starting with Robert Wuhl.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:35 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

windedsailor wrote:

Unbreakable is the only Shymalan movie I actually like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:44 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Samwise wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Wow, Arg.. you consider Iron Man to be just "ok" while you really liked Spidey 2? Hmm, because it seems usually we share a lot of the same tastes. I don't know, maybe it was a thing of too much hype to live up to, because ultimately Spidey 2 disappointed me.

Also while I really liked the first Spidey initially it felt like, it hasn't held up as well on repeat viewings. I mean, and maybe this has been talked about ad nauseum, but that rooftop scene between Spiderman and the GG after Goblin has kidnapped him and presenting the idea of working together, that played to me as just laughably bad. For one thing the fact that Goblin's mask had nothing organic about it at all, Dafoe had to totally overact with his body to convey any emotion (but I'm not familiar enough with the comics, if the original mask was like that.. ?)

My problem with Iron Man was not that it was a bad movie (like Spiderman 3 or Hulk), but that Iron Man himself is not really my kind of superhero. His "superpower" isn't really impressive. Batman's superpower is his preparation, intelligence, and attitude. Spiderman's superpower is webslinging and strength. It's cool. Iron Man's "superpower" is guns, bombs, and flamethrowers. It wasn't all that fun for me to watch Iron Man torch an entire town.
Perhaps I'm having such a tough time with Iron Man because right across the aisle from me was an eight year old boy, cheering on all this murder and destruction. Batman and Spiderman don't kill people. I just don't like the character, and I don't know if that would apply to his comic book persona as well or not.
The movie itself was good, even if predictable and unoriginal.
Spiderman 2? I don't know. It's just a good movie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:58 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

bart d. wrote:
windedsailor wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

bondcfh007 wrote:
bart d. wrote:
windedsailor wrote:

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Batman doesn't have a superpower, and he does kill sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Al wrote:
Batman doesn't have a superpower, and he does kill sometimes.

no

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The Argonaut wrote:
Samwise wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

My problem with Iron Man was not that it was a bad movie (like Spiderman 3 or Hulk), but that Iron Man himself is not really my kind of superhero. His "superpower" isn't really impressive. Batman's superpower is his preparation, intelligence, and attitude. Spiderman's superpower is webslinging and strength. It's cool. Iron Man's "superpower" is guns, bombs, and flamethrowers. It wasn't all that fun for me to watch Iron Man torch an entire town.
Perhaps I'm having such a tough time with Iron Man because right across the aisle from me was an eight year old boy, cheering on all this murder and destruction. Batman and Spiderman don't kill people. I just don't like the character, and I don't know if that would apply to his comic book persona as well or not.
The movie itself was good, even if predictable and unoriginal.
Spiderman 2? I don't know. It's just a good movie.

Funny you say that, because actually I found Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark to be rather similar in that they were rich children, but their "superpower" is their extremely high intelligence and resourcefulness. Each had a way of applying all the smarts they had into technology to help them fight crime.

And really I kinda dig that Stark doesn't have any qualms about killing someone that he knows is absolutely deserving of such a fate (the flamethrower incident in the desert you referenced).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:09 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

killing > not killing :)

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment