Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: Comic Book Movies
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:28 am 
Got Some

Samwise wrote:
Funny you say that, because actually I found Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark to be rather similar in that they were rich children, but their "superpower" is their extremely high intelligence and resourcefulness. Each had a way of applying all the smarts they had into technology to help them fight crime.

Iron Man was a pretty direct ripoff of Batman to begin with, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:53 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

goncho wrote:
Al wrote:
Batman doesn't have a superpower, and he does kill sometimes.

no

yeha thats sorta his big thing
not killing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt00dak wrote:
Samwise wrote:
Funny you say that, because actually I found Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark to be rather similar in that they were rich children, but their "superpower" is their extremely high intelligence and resourcefulness. Each had a way of applying all the smarts they had into technology to help them fight crime.

Iron Man was a pretty direct ripoff of Batman to begin with, right?

Well that's hard for me to say, I've never read any comics, I'm just going off the movies and basic knowledge of pop culture.

The difference to me is, Bruce had his motivation for what he does an adult quite young, witnessing the murder of his parents as just a small boy. And when he does become older, while he may sometimes put on the playboy act for the public, it seems when he's by himself he's always brooding. Whereas with Tony Stark, for one even as an adult he seems like a bit of a jerk, in fact totally revelling in the playboy lifestyle, and he's already well into using his intelligence for developing technology when he first gets his motivation to become a "superhero".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:13 am 
Unthought Known

I thought The Phantom was a bit of good fun. The rest? Eh...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:19 pm 
Got Some

dkfan9 wrote:
goncho wrote:
Al wrote:

no

not killing

so did spider man, but in the comics he later changed his mind about it.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:24 pm 
Got Some

Samwise wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Samwise wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
I was never into comic books as a kid, but I did get into 'graphic novels' last year and have been reading some of the most famous. In terms of recent movies, I loved Batman Begins and Sin City. I liked Spiderman, Spiderman 2, 300. Iron Man was an OK movie, but there wasn't a lot there in terms of plot. Also, I just don't think he's my type of superhero: guns and bombs and whatnot. I'm also really excited for The Watchmen and especially The Dark Knight.

Wow, Arg.. you consider Iron Man to be just "ok" while you really liked Spidey 2? Hmm, because it seems usually we share a lot of the same tastes. I don't know, maybe it was a thing of too much hype to live up to, because ultimately Spidey 2 disappointed me.

Also while I really liked the first Spidey initially it felt like, it hasn't held up as well on repeat viewings. I mean, and maybe this has been talked about ad nauseum, but that rooftop scene between Spiderman and the GG after Goblin has kidnapped him and presenting the idea of working together, that played to me as just laughably bad. For one thing the fact that Goblin's mask had nothing organic about it at all, Dafoe had to totally overact with his body to convey any emotion (but I'm not familiar enough with the comics, if the original mask was like that.. ?)

My problem with Iron Man was not that it was a bad movie (like Spiderman 3 or Hulk), but that Iron Man himself is not really my kind of superhero. His "superpower" isn't really impressive. Batman's superpower is his preparation, intelligence, and attitude. Spiderman's superpower is webslinging and strength. It's cool. Iron Man's "superpower" is guns, bombs, and flamethrowers. It wasn't all that fun for me to watch Iron Man torch an entire town.
Perhaps I'm having such a tough time with Iron Man because right across the aisle from me was an eight year old boy, cheering on all this murder and destruction. Batman and Spiderman don't kill people. I just don't like the character, and I don't know if that would apply to his comic book persona as well or not.
The movie itself was good, even if predictable and unoriginal.
Spiderman 2? I don't know. It's just a good movie.

And really I kinda dig that Stark doesn't have any qualms about killing someone that he knows is absolutely deserving of such a fate (the flamethrower incident in the desert you referenced).

i think its a different type of moral argument than batman, in the movie iron man deals more with a war time scinereo. while the villians in both are one in the same its a matter of context. terrorist with ak's vs. henchmen.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:17 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Junco Partner wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
goncho wrote:
Al wrote:

no

not killing

so did spider man, but in the comics he later changed his mind about it.

that´s why spiderman is spiderman and batman is...well..the MOTHERFUCKIN BATMAN!

on a serious note, I don´t follow spidey comics, but I do follow batman´s, and he hasn´t changed his mind so far. In Batman #1 (1940), when the character wasn´t really defined (BM first appearence is from 1939) he actually DID kill (and could also be seen carrying a gun in his belt sometimes). DC directives disliked this episode so much that they decreeted Batman should never kill or use guns, and that has remained that way for almost 70 years

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:06 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

This can't possibly be comprehensive:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm 
Coast to Coast

Missing a lot of stuff-- the first Captain America movie, the Nick Fury movie, the Swamp Thing movies, Sin City.

Haha, Steel... what a turkey that was.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

It's pretty much useless to compare box office figures across time, even after controlling for inflation. What about number of screens and population size? And has it been shown that change in price of movie tickets tracks inflation?

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Owl_Farmer wrote:
It's pretty much useless to compare box office figures across time, even after controlling for inflation. What about number of screens and population size? And has it been shown that change in price of movie tickets tracks inflation?

Don´t compare them..who cares? In the 80´s and 90´s DC made better movies...and then Marvel did way better with these new adaptations, even if the Batman trilogy was awesome.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment