Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iron Man 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:57 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

Cheadle would be just horrible

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:34 am 
a joke

mecca2687 wrote:

I dont even think that to be possible on any level.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:27 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

edzeppe wrote:
Terrence Howards voice is far too meek for his face.

Ya know I'd never thought about that before, but now you mention it, yea he's one of those guys who's voice doesn't quite match his face, you'd sort of expect something else.

mecca2687 wrote:

errr.... have you seen a Don Cheadle movie? :shock: I definitely agree in pretty much any case it's a shame to break continuity (well, ok not with Katie Holmes :P ) but they could do A LOT worse in the choice for his replacement.

Oh but btw, I heard on the radio the other day, Howard himself was surprised as anyone to hear the reasons for him being replaced. Apparently it wasn't that he pulled the retarded move of asking for too much money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:46 pm 
Camden Crew

i just watched iron man at work today and it was great. cant wait for a new one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:39 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

New press release...

Quote:
MARVEL STUDIOS PRODUCTION UPDATE

ROBERT DOWNEY JR. AND JON FAVREAU SUIT UP FOR MARVEL STUDIOS' THE AVENGERS AND IRON MAN 2

As part of his four picture deal with Marvel Studios, Robert Downey Jr. is appearing as Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS motion picture, as well as reprising his starring role as the larger-than-life leading character in IRON MAN 2. Jon Favreau will return to direct the sequel to the blockbuster IRON MAN, which to date has grossed over $578 million worldwide, as well as executive produce THE AVENGERS.
Academy Award® nominee Downey was most recently seen in the summer comedy blockbuster TROPIC THUNDER starring opposite Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Before Iron Man, he was best known for his film roles in KISS KISS BANG BANG, WONDER BOYS and CHAPLIN, the film for which he was nominated for an Oscar®.

In addition to directing the first IRON MAN, Favreau has previously directed ELF, ZATHURA: A SPACE ADVENTURE and MADE. He is also well known for writing and starring in SWINGERS. He will next be seen acting in FOUR CHRISTMASES, I LOVE YOU MAN and COUPLES RETREAT.

DON CHEADLE WILL STAR AS RHODEY IN IRON MAN 2

Marvel Studios is pleased today to confirm that an agreement has been finalized with award-winning actor Don Cheadle to take on the role of Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Marvel's IRON MAN 2 due in theaters on May 7, 2010. In casting Cheadle, Marvel replaces Terrence Howard who appeared in the role of Rhodey in IRON MAN.
Cheadle is also signed on to perform the same role in THE AVENGERS and subsequent installments of the IRON MAN franchise.

"We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights," said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.

Cheadle is best known for his Oscar® nominated lead performance in HOTEL RWANDA as well as his role as Basher Tarr in the OCEAN'S franchise, CRASH and SWORDFISH.

Based on Marvel's iconic Super Hero, IRON MAN 2 continues the story of this summer's box office blockbuster IRON MAN, the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Studios. IRON MAN 2 will be produced by Marvel Studios' President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Denis Stewart.

In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

The highly anticipated sequel to IRON MAN will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and THE AVENGERS will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Cheadle is represented by UTA. Downey and Favreau are represented by CAA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:49 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

Samwise wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

Ya know I'd never thought about that before, but now you mention it, yea he's one of those guys who's voice doesn't quite match his face, you'd sort of expect something else.

mecca2687 wrote:

errr.... have you seen a Don Cheadle movie? :shock: I definitely agree in pretty much any case it's a shame to break continuity (well, ok not with Katie Holmes :P ) but they could do A LOT worse in the choice for his replacement.

Oh but btw, I heard on the radio the other day, Howard himself was surprised as anyone to hear the reasons for him being replaced. Apparently it wasn't that he pulled the retarded move of asking for too much money.

nothing about cheadle says "war machine"
howard on the other hand...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

From the newest EW mag...

IRON MAN 2: How Terrance Howard Lost His Metal
Quote:
When a summer blockbuster grosses more than $300 million, putting together a sequel is typically as simple as throwing buckets of money at your stars and signing a few pieces of paper. That hasn't been the case with Iron Man 2. It took months for Marvel Studios to lock in director Jon Favreau for the sequel. And reports that Don Cheadle will replace Terrence Howard as Col. Jim Rhodes — a supporting character who seemed poised for a big role in the follow-up after he muttered ''Next time, baby'' to Iron Man's steel suit — hint that IM2 isn't quite as infallible as the superhero at its center.

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')

As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer — a number that's similar to what supporting cast members were paid for the first movie. The agents, according to sources, were so taken aback by this new figure — estimated at somewhere between a 50 and 80 percent pay cut — that they questioned it. Why did they blanch? Multiple sources say that Marvel execs never told Howard's reps that they had issues with the star's on-set conduct. (Marvel would not comment for this story.)

It's unclear whether Howard's team walked away first, or if Marvel ended the discussion at that point. Either way, the studio moved quickly to secure Cheadle and the story leaked out the next morning, Oct. 14. And alas for Howard, there will be no next time.

And this was dated Oct 14th on the site...

Quote:
Not sure what to make of the news, in today's Hollywood Reporter, that Don Cheadle will be replacing Terrence Howard in Iron Man 2. The article hints that Howard wanted too much money for the sequel, which will see his character, sidekick Jim Rhodes, playing a bigger role, perhaps fulfilling his comic-book destiny as Marvel hero War Machine. But the absence of a deal with Howard also allowed Marvel to "take the role in another direction" by approaching Cheadle, the Reporter says.

What does that mean? Marvel's not talking about acting talent here; Crash costars Howard and Cheadle are both top-notch, Oscar-nominated actors. But Howard has an intense, leading-man charisma, while Cheadle is a chameleonic actor who seems to vanish into his roles. Some Iron Man viewers found Howard odd and out of place in the film; others cheered him on, especially when he looked at that suit of armor and said, "Next time." What does the fact that "next time" now belongs to Cheadle mean for the Rhodes character and his prominence in the sequel? Will fans prefer Cheadle to Howard, or will they resent any change in the first film's winning formula? Weigh in below, PopWatchers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:26 am 
Force of Nature

Koufax wrote:
i just watched iron man at work today and it was great. cant wait for a new one

I want your job!!! :P

ManiacalClown wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
who are the Pearl Jams?

some shitty emo band

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:59 am 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

cast additions:

Spoiler: show
Mickey Rourke - Ivan / Whiplash
Sam Rockwell - Justin Hammer
Tim Robbins - Howard Stark (rumored)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm 
In a van down by the river

conoalias wrote:
cast additions:

Spoiler: show
Mickey Rourke - Ivan / Whiplash
Sam Rockwell - Justin Hammer
Tim Robbins - Howard Stark (rumored)

i think these villans and casting are horrible.

they need to go with and follow up on the mandarin angle. to have justin hammer and mickey rourke playing the crimson dynamo (as i have read) is nothing more than iron man all over again, minus the origin.

now i know most superhero movies do the same exact thing, but at least change up the types of villans instead of basically recasting the iron monger in a slimmer suit and having another company man want to take over stark industries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 pm 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

mecca2687 wrote:
Samwise wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

mecca2687 wrote:

nothing about cheadle says "war machine"
howard on the other hand...

I think this point needs to be emphasized.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:47 pm 
Supersonic

was mandarin in the 1st one??

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:52 pm 

i got bugs wrote:

while i can not recall the exact allusions to him, he and his orginaztion were mentioned a few times

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Peeps wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

while i can not recall the exact allusions to him, he and his orginaztion were mentioned a few times

Wasn't the terrorist group referred to as "The Ten Rings"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:11 am 
Menace to Dogciety

I dont think a Fu-Manchu with magic rings would look good outside the comics.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:28 am 

Human Bass wrote:

this is how i always envisioned mandarin for iron man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:19 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

Human Bass wrote:

that is crazy talk

Post subject: Johansson, Rourke Officially in Iron Man 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ScarJo & Mickey Rourke Help Raise Iron Curtain
E! Online Thu Mar 12, 2009, 4:33 am EDT

Scarlett Johansson is joining the superhero set.

Her rep confirms that the actress has signed on to play Black Widow in the Iron Man sequel opposite Robert Downey Jr. The deal was signed this afternoon.

"Scarlett is thrilled to be a part of Iron Man," her rep, Marcel Pariseau, tells me.

Meanwhile, after months of negotiations...

The Wrestler's comeback kid, Mickey Rourke, has finally sealed a deal to play villain Whiplash, according to Variety.

Rourke's team had reportedly held out for more money after Marvel's initial offer was just $250,000.

Scheduled for a May 2010 release, part two of the franchise will also include Gwyneth Paltrow returning as Pepper Potts, along with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Don Cheadle playing Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes.

Post subject: Re: Johansson, Rourke Officially in Iron Man 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:09 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

Terrance Howard was fucking perfect for War Machine, something about Cheadle just says "not a fucking badass superhero" and it will piss me off til no end

Post subject: Re: Johansson, Rourke Officially in Iron Man 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 am 

mecca, on this we agree, and i am totally against rourke being in this. i hope they prove me wrong, but i cant think of one IM villian he is even remotely close to being able to pull off

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment