Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: Roberto Bolaño ( Bolano for the search engine)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 pm 
Supersonic

Simple Torture wrote:
I think Bolaño would have made a great young adult novelist; he writes adolescence very well (I'm thinking specifically about the "Anna & Jordi" sections of the new book, which is where I am right now). For the record, I'm glad he wasn't a YA novelist (but some of these things might be good to read with high school or young college students, for example).

Twilight?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:28 pm 
Stone's Bitch

invention wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I think Bolaño would have made a great young adult novelist; he writes adolescence very well (I'm thinking specifically about the "Anna & Jordi" sections of the new book, which is where I am right now). For the record, I'm glad he wasn't a YA novelist (but some of these things might be good to read with high school or young college students, for example).

Twilight?

My girlfriend saw the new Twilight movie and, although she thinks she's above that stuff, she cried when some wolves died.

And I'm serious, though. When you read DFW's stuff about kids (like, for example, the kids at the tennis academy), there's a lot of believable stuff in there, but usually the kids have too much acumen and awareness and don't feel like they're 12-15 years old; they seem like the kind of kids that an awkward adult would dream up and wish he was. But Bolaño's got a good track record of being able to inhabit the minds of youths and make it feel very alive (there's a story somewhere about his son playing with automatic doors? that also comes to mind).

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 pm 
Supersonic

I'm only like 20 pages in and I already love the new book. In a way it feels like he's writing Bolano fan fiction for himself and maybe never meant to publish, who knows. It seems like he's having fun with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment