Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:39 am 
Force of Nature

If you can get Sin City in single issue form, I'd go for it. They'll likely increase in value, what with two movie sequels coming, not to mention that Frank Miller's going to do a new Sin City story soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:56 am 
Supersonic

I used to be big into Superman. I have everything from the death of Superman up until a few issues after they figured out which of the 4 Supermen was the real one. I also have a few comics my dad gave to me including old issues from Superman, Fantastic Four, and the Avengers. I went to Comic Fest '93 in Philadelphia and it was a lot of fun. I got to see the original Batmobile, however I missed Mr. T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

evenflow wrote:
If you can get Sin City in single issue form, I'd go for it. They'll likely increase in value, what with two movie sequels coming, not to mention that Frank Miller's going to do a new Sin City story soon.

I thought that about some of the Batman stuff when they were doing the WB over-the-top films, but it sort of never really increased all that much in value. Ditto for the 'death of superman stuff'. I've got a couple of early Sin City books as well as the V for Vendetta stuff....

which reminds me..... check this out:

http://www.alanmoorefansite.com/

Quote:
Alan Moore Slams V For Vendetta film, Pulls LoEG from DC Comics
May 23, 2005

Alan Moore, co-creator of the "V For Vendetta" comic, has publicly disassociated himself from the upcoming Warner Brothers movie project based on the comic book and written and produced by the Wachowski Brothers. And as a result, he has cut his remaining ties with DC Comics, including future volumes of the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

c-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:39 pm 
Force of Nature

I'll give you that one on the Batman movies relating to comic prices. Guess I forgot about that part.
I'm just basing that opinion on X-Men and Punisher comics, especially the ones that the movies were based on. Like, if X3 is based on the Dark Phoenix Saga (and doesn't totally suck) I'd expect the original issues to get a little higher, and least for a few months.

Then again, I get this idea from Wizard, who just wants you to buy their ACE edition reprints.

Alan Moore also disassociated himself from the LoEG movie, and it's pretty obvious why. Mr. Moore doesn't like movies being made of his stuff. I can imagine his head exploding if they ever made a Watchmen movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:59 pm 
Got Some

I was a little bit of a comic book guy when I was little. I used to collect Punisher. That guy was awesome. I pretty much forgot about comics until a guy I knew in University leant me Garth Ennis' Preacher series. That was one of the greatest stories ever told. He got me into all of Frank Miller's stuff and what I loved the most was looking at anything Alex Ross painted. Especially Kingdom Come. I had an awesome Joker/Harley poster that Ross did hanging in our living room.
I don't really pay attention to comics at all but he certainly changed my opinion of the typical comic book guy stereotype. There is a ton of shit out there that is definitely not for kids. Oh yeah, I also collected Death Dealer.
BTW I agree with whoever above said that Ennis' Punisher was awesome. That sure was a surprise when he started writing it. I love his style and it fits perfectly with the Punisher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:30 pm 
In a van down by the river

kingdom come can be made into a movie and wont even come close to being as good as the actual book

i do have to digress some, i have bough Origin trade paperback, the art and story telling was spectacular, and odds are, ill buy Origin 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:50 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

I may just go ahead and get the Sin City books I want in paperback, to get me started collecting anything again would be very dangerous. Right now I've got an Amazon order for Batman: Year One and the Dark Knight Returns and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. I may go ahead and place it.

Going back to something that was said earlier, I never knew how hated Liefeld was when he first came out. Me and my friends always enjoyed his artwork, though I can definitely understand now where some of the complaints came from. Still, I thought the over the top style he used fit stuff like X-Force just fine. Once he got to Image though, you could really tell he wasn't nearly as much of a creative force as McFarlane or Jim Lee. And speaking of stuff that isn't for kids, has anyone read "The Walking Dead"? It's a zombie series that I've briefly heard about.

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:08 am 
Stone's Bitch

Peeps wrote:
kingdom come can be made into a movie and wont even come close to being as good as the actual book

the explanation: Alex Ross...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:24 am 
Got Some

goncho wrote:
Peeps wrote:

Unless it's not live action and Alex Ross is going to take 25 years to paint it frame by frame. :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:32 am 
Stone's Bitch

antiyou wrote:
goncho wrote:
Peeps wrote:

Unless it's not live action and Alex Ross is going to take 25 years to paint it frame by frame. :arrow:

yes..that´s the other possible solution...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:36 am 

its not so much that i hated leifled, i was just annoyed by no wrists and ankles, his art style was perfect for the new mutants - xforce transition, plus he introduced deadpool

even though i dont think he was a regular artist on any marvel titles, i also enjoyed art adams.

im also thinking of getting the jla/avengers crossover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:28 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Peeps wrote:
its not so much that i hated leifled, i was just annoyed by no wrists and ankles, his art style was perfect for the new mutants - xforce transition, plus he introduced deadpool

even though i dont think he was a regular artist on any marvel titles, i also enjoyed art adams.

I didn´t like liefield at all...but all I´ve seen from him was Youngblood (in fact I didn´t like that comic at all) and Avengers during the Heroes Reborn saga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

goncho wrote:
Peeps wrote:

I didn´t like liefield at all...but all I´ve seen from him was Youngblood (in fact I didn´t like that comic at all) and Avengers during the Heroes Reborn saga

Most, if not all, of the Image line is horrible -- really, really bad. Artists like Lee and Liefeld ended up creating teams that were basically rip-offs of teams they used to draw.

Although, I remember being pleasantly surprised by Spawn when I picked up the first few issues; McFarlane's writing had improved since writing and drawing Spider-Man in the early 90s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:38 pm 

Iago wrote:
Most, if not all, of the Image line is horrible -- really, really bad. Artists like Lee and Liefeld ended up creating teams that were basically rip-offs of teams they used to draw.

Although, I remember being pleasantly surprised by Spawn when I picked up the first few issues; McFarlane's writing had improved since writing and drawing Spider-Man in the early 90s.

all comic book companies do that though, avengers begat JLA who begat Squadron Supreme (on of the most blatant ripoffs ever in the world of literature)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Peeps wrote:
Iago wrote:

all comic book companies do that though, avengers begat JLA who begat Squadron Supreme (on of the most blatant ripoffs ever in the world of literature)

Oh, definitely. I guess what I was trying to communicate was how sucky the Image product was, considering what the artists wanted to accomplish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:38 pm 
Got Some

Iago wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Iago wrote:

Spawn was alright. The Art was really solid. But there were no ideas, no stories to tell.

In a completely unrelated note, anybody read any Japanese comics? I started to get into them when I got frustrated with the writers and artists of my american comics changing every half-year. I also liked that they actually ended so you didn't have to collect them forever. But there is a lot of utter crap (in Japan and in the states). You have to be kind of picky. Akira is a great story- the art is amazing and weighter than most other stuff. I really like Rurouni Kenshin too. It's a more standard japanese comic but injects some japanese history that gives it some class and tries to tackle themes of redemption and finding your place in a changing world rather well. I still have a soft spot for Dragon Ball. The show's ridiculous but the comic is a fun read for your inner 12 year old

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:49 pm 

when i get home, ill try to post some pics of my drawings, if i still have them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:09 pm 
Stone's Bitch

when i was younger i read a lot of batman and superman and the like. i had a few xmen comics as well.

knightfall and the doomsday saga are two of my favorite stories, ever.

:peace: frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:30 pm 
AnalLog

I've never gotten really into comics, but I've always loved to read them, and I can see myself buying millions of comics when I'm a rich old man and doing nothing but reading.

Someone referenced the Akira graphic novels; those are amazing. I got Part I after being a huge fan of the film, and the size and scope of the story, as well the illustrations are just phenomenal. Comics are really neat.

Always do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i don't belong here...sorry :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment