Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:11 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

I've always wanted to read Y.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:51 pm 
AnalLog

diaglo wrote:
One of the best series going right now.

One of the best series of all time.

can't disagree with you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Those Walking Dead hardcovers are great if you can find them. I finished Book one a few months ago and am moving on to book two.

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:27 pm 
Got Some

Mercury wrote:
Those Walking Dead hardcovers are great if you can find them. I finished Book one a few months ago and am moving on to book two.

:thumbsup:

The Walking Dead is amazing. Especially for fans of zombie movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:48 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

PJeff wrote:
Mercury wrote:

:thumbsup:

The Walking Dead is amazing. Especially for fans of zombie movies.

Zombie movies, what are those? :wink:

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:42 am 
AnalLog

i've never been into zombie flicks, so those books are lost on me, but i'm not knockin' them, i hear nothing but good things. the bottom line is that people are reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:41 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
i've never been into zombie flicks, so those books are lost on me, but i'm not knockin' them, i hear nothing but good things. the bottom line is that people are reading.

Yeah, but sometimes I feel guilty that I could be reading "real" books I guess. Fuck it though, I really enjoy these. After I'm finished with these I'm going to work on finishing my Sin City collection.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mercury wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

Yeah, but sometimes I feel guilty that I could be reading "real" books I guess. Fuck it though, I really enjoy these. After I'm finished with these I'm going to work on finishing my Sin City collection.

Fuck all that. Good storytelling is good storytelling, no matter the medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Has anyone read Pride of Baghdad? I'm thinking of buying it.

AMAZON wrote:
A heartbreaking look at what it's like to live in a war zone. Inspired by true events, this story tells of four lions that escape from the Baghdad Zoo during a bombing raid in 2003 and encounter other animals that offer unique perspectives, such as a tortoise that survived World War I. They begin to question the nature of freedom. Can it be achieved without being earned? What is its price? What do the lions owe the zookeepers who took care of them at the cost of keeping them in captivity? Where should they go? What should they eat? The four lions soon realize that a desert city is nothing like the grassy savannas of their memories. Their experiences mirror those of the Iraqi citizens displaced by the conflict. The book succeeds as a graphic novel and as an account of the current crisis. Henrichon's full palette emphasizes browns and grays that evoke the sands of the country, while his long brushstrokes and careful attention to detail reflect the precise and minimalist dialogue that Vaughan uses. An allegorical tale with compelling and believable characters, Baghdad makes it clear that without self-determination, there can be no freedom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:53 pm 
AnalLog

i almost bought it 5 different times, i will soon. let me know what you think of it.

Post subject: Re: Calling All Comic Geeks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:52 am 
In a van down by the river

ok, ive found myself lured back into buying a few titles. heres what i have gotten

War World Hulk - hot damn is this great. if you ever wanted to see the savage hulk super pissed off yet cold and calculating, this is it. the premise is that years ago, some major heros all got together to share info and confront major threats behind the scenes. these included namor, iron man, mister fantastic, black bolt, doc strange and proffesor X. the hulk went on a rampage and iron man decided, through some convincing of shield, to send the hulk to a far away planet with no life that he could hurt. namor objected and fought iron man over this saying, the hulk would come back to kill you all, and i will laugh, cause he is right. proffessor X was MIA, so that left the other four. hulk gets banished in ship, goes to wrong planet, is enslaved, breaks free with new friends, gets married, impregnates wife, watches as ship he was sent in blows up his wife and unborn child. his friends say, lets go to earth and make those pay.

so now the hulk has given the order that they have 24 hours to evacuate new york city or else he will do to the city what he did to blackbolt, as he tosses blackbolt from his ship torn and tattered. so far hulk has kicked the xmens ass, the fantastic fours ass, she hulks ass and a few others.

new avengers - the old ones disbanded and now there are two avengers groups, some rogue heros such as spidey, luke cage, ronin (hawkeye), spiderwoman (now a skrull), wolverine, iron fist and doc strange. the story is a bit convoluted but i think its setting up the reason there was a civil war in the first place, namely a skrull invasion

im also picking up xmen due to the fact the marauders are back

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:12 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
i almost bought it 5 different times, i will soon. let me know what you think of it.

Have read Pride of Baghdad 3 times now ... awesome. Kinda like Animal Farm: Baghdad. Well written, well drawn, too short.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Peeps wrote:
ok, ive found myself lured back into buying a few titles. heres what i have gotten

War World Hulk - hot damn is this great. if you ever wanted to see the savage hulk super pissed off yet cold and calculating, this is it. the premise is that years ago, some major heros all got together to share info and confront major threats behind the scenes. these included namor, iron man, mister fantastic, black bolt, doc strange and proffesor X. the hulk went on a rampage and iron man decided, through some convincing of shield, to send the hulk to a far away planet with no life that he could hurt. namor objected and fought iron man over this saying, the hulk would come back to kill you all, and i will laugh, cause he is right. proffessor X was MIA, so that left the other four. hulk gets banished in ship, goes to wrong planet, is enslaved, breaks free with new friends, gets married, impregnates wife, watches as ship he was sent in blows up his wife and unborn child. his friends say, lets go to earth and make those pay.

so now the hulk has given the order that they have 24 hours to evacuate new york city or else he will do to the city what he did to blackbolt, as he tosses blackbolt from his ship torn and tattered. so far hulk has kicked the xmens ass, the fantastic fours ass, she hulks ass and a few others.

new avengers - the old ones disbanded and now there are two avengers groups, some rogue heros such as spidey, luke cage, ronin (hawkeye), spiderwoman (now a skrull), wolverine, iron fist and doc strange. the story is a bit convoluted but i think its setting up the reason there was a civil war in the first place, namely a skrull invasion

im also picking up xmen due to the fact the marauders are back

Peeps, you ever read any non-Marvel super hero comics? Really good stuff out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:49 pm 
In a van down by the river

diaglo wrote:
Peeps, you ever read any non-Marvel super hero comics? Really good stuff out there.

i actually have, but i tend to stick to TPB, and riht now im looking at identity crisis, infinite crisis, green lantern rebirth and justice vol I

my main boxed up collection is strictly marvel though

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:37 pm 
Got Some

Never been a big Marvel fan. I've always preferred DC. Usually pick up Batman, Superman & Green Lantern every month.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:35 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

I just ordered the Watchmen. No, I haven't read it before. :oops:

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:18 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Mercury wrote:

I'm starting to think that I should, as well. I'm starting now to work my way through the new Batman canon, having just finished The Long Halloween for the second time and now looking for more Batman must-reads ... Watchmen seems straight up my alley. Let me know what you think of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:26 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

EbolaMonkey wrote:
Mercury wrote:

I'm starting to think that I should, as well. I'm starting now to work my way through the new Batman canon, having just finished The Long Halloween for the second time and now looking for more Batman must-reads ... Watchmen seems straight up my alley. Let me know what you think of it!

Will do. It was kind of an impulse buy on Amazon last night. I'm slowly trying to finish out my Sin City collection, and needed something else on the order to get the free shipping and thought, why the hell haven't I read this?

I'll let you know how it is.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:22 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mercury wrote:
EbolaMonkey wrote:
Mercury wrote:

Will do. It was kind of an impulse buy on Amazon last night. I'm slowly trying to finish out my Sin City collection, and needed something else on the order to get the free shipping and thought, why the hell haven't I read this?

I'll let you know how it is.

It's fucking fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:09 pm 
Got Some

Anyone following X-Men Messiah Complex?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment