Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calling All Comic Geeks!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:38 am 
In a van down by the river

HardTI wrote:
I'll gladly take that off your hands (if you wanted to part with it) if it's this one and not the TPB
Just message me and we can do paypal?

let me see, i have a few replies back to the LCS around here who may be interested in purchasing the whole collection

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Im pretty sure that Spider-geek vs Wolverine one shot is in the Wolverine Omnibus vol 1 too, which for 100$ is great / hard cover... I picked it up awhile ago, but my buddies reading it now so, but im pretty sure its in there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:49 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

Anyone else reading the DCnU?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:45 pm 

badabing wrote:

i havent but have read a lot on it on other boards.

the thing i dont like is now they are saying that the major events (mainly the three crisis; identity, infinite, and final) are longer cannon though some of the plots may still be legit.

DC did this before with crisis on infinite earth. their continuity was so fucked by having wonderwoman found the JSA but then join the jla, have 56 versions of the flash and everything else and they fixed it. it was good. then they brought back the multiverse in what i thought was a very creative way and it was still acceptable.

but now doing this, its just to make a splash and while they are marginally outselling marvel since but i wonder how long that will truly last?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:48 pm 

Peeps wrote:
badabing wrote:

i havent but have read a lot on it on other boards.

the thing i dont like is now they are saying that the major events (mainly the three crisis; identity, infinite, and final) are longer cannon though some of the plots may still be legit.

DC did this before with crisis on infinite earth. their continuity was so fucked by having wonderwoman found the JSA but then join the jla, have 56 versions of the flash and everything else and they fixed it. it was good. then they brought back the multiverse in what i thought was a very creative way and it was still acceptable.

but now doing this, its just to make a splash and while they are marginally outselling marvel since but i wonder how long that will truly last?

It is kinda odd. Batman has only been around for five years yet there are 4 Robins, a Batgirl and Batwoman and Batwing. It appears all the Green Lantern mythos is intact. There are only two Flashes Barry and Kid Flash. Don't know if Kid Flash is Wally or Bart. No JSA. They are showing the early years of Superman in Action Comics but it sucks. I am enjoying Superboy and Supergirl so far though. All Star Western is my favorite. Jonah Hex tracking down a Jack the Ripper type in Victorian era Gotham City!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 pm 
Global Moderator

i am reading some of the new 52, but im also just starting out so past events not being included dont bother me too much at the moment, but if i eventually try to read some stuff from the past then it might bother me. so far it was worked out well that when i decided to start reading some comics the DCs were only at #3 so it was still easy to find most #1s that i wanted, but really have no idea where to go other then the DC stuff, it is a really overwhelming thing to try and get into comics LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:02 pm 
Got Some

I can't wait to pick up Dial H from DC i think it starts in a couple months. It is written by china mieville :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 am 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
i am reading some of the new 52, but im also just starting out so past events not being included dont bother me too much at the moment, but if i eventually try to read some stuff from the past then it might bother me. so far it was worked out well that when i decided to start reading some comics the DCs were only at #3 so it was still easy to find most #1s that i wanted, but really have no idea where to go other then the DC stuff, it is a really overwhelming thing to try and get into comics LOL.

Which ones are you reading? I'm reading these:

All Star Western
Aquaman
Batman
Batman and Robin
Flash
Green Lantern
Justice League
Teen Titans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 pm 
Global Moderator

badabing wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Which ones are you reading? I'm reading these:

All Star Western
Aquaman
Batman
Batman and Robin
Flash
Green Lantern
Justice League
Teen Titans

Aquaman
Batman
Batman and Robin
Dark Knight
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Nightwing
Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Justice League
Captain Atom
Swamp Thing

the only thing that is not part of the new 52 that im reading is Kick Ass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:25 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
it is a really overwhelming thing to try and get into comics LOL.

Very much so... especially with all the cross-overs and spin-offs and tie-ins.
Ive been buying up all the X-men collections Marvel has put out,
X-men Omnibus 1+2
Uncanny X-men Omnibus 1
X-men Mutant Massacre
X-men Fall of the Mutants (is what im on)
X-men X-tinction Agenda
X-men Inferno
X-men Claremont Omnibus 1
X-men Claremont Omnibus 2
X-men X-cutioners Song
and soon to come out
X-men Fatal Attraction
X-men Age of Apocalypse

that covers
X-men 1-66
Uncanny X-men 94-131, 210-214, 220-227, 235-243, 244-269, 270-280, 294-298, 305-315
and the Age of Apocalypse stuff which i dont have yet so dont have the numbers.
Anyway, having all those? Beast turns blue in in Amazing Adventures, Jean Grey came back from the dead after the Phoenix died, in Fantastic 4 and Avengers comcis, and alot of those above collections, have the New Mutant, X-Factor, and other cross-overs... makes your head spin trying to keep it all straight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:08 pm 
Got Some

i find the marvel essentials to be a good one and DC has their equivelant.

It is in black and white but much cheaper than trying to get all the back issues or graphic novels.

the last x-men essential that came out led right up to when i started collecting around 260 of uncanny so i'm really excited to get the next one and re read some of the first issues i ever purchased :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 pm 

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
it is a really overwhelming thing to try and get into comics LOL.

Very much so... especially with all the cross-overs and spin-offs and tie-ins.
Ive been buying up all the X-men collections Marvel has put out,
X-men Omnibus 1+2
Uncanny X-men Omnibus 1
X-men Mutant Massacre
X-men Fall of the Mutants (is what im on)
X-men X-tinction Agenda
X-men Inferno
X-men Claremont Omnibus 1
X-men Claremont Omnibus 2
X-men X-cutioners Song
and soon to come out
X-men Fatal Attraction
X-men Age of Apocalypse

that covers
X-men 1-66
Uncanny X-men 94-131, 210-214, 220-227, 235-243, 244-269, 270-280, 294-298, 305-315
and the Age of Apocalypse stuff which i dont have yet so dont have the numbers.
Anyway, having all those? Beast turns blue in in Amazing Adventures, Jean Grey came back from the dead after the Phoenix died, in Fantastic 4 and Avengers comcis, and alot of those above collections, have the New Mutant, X-Factor, and other cross-overs... makes your head spin trying to keep it all straight.

if you dont mind ill give my opine on the stories

mutant massacre, fall of the mutants and inferno are the cream of the crop, in that order. these set stories up a decade later. xtinction agenda was drawn really well and a great story (though i didnt like the new mutants art)
fatal attraction while a good idea wasnt that great a story. only the xmens art where thibert worked really appealed to me, but it did also show pietros fall to the smug side even more
age of apocalypse will be a fun read for you as it completely shows the Xmen in a different light. they are continuing the stories now as i see and thats not a bad thing.

xcutioners song - while it explained the stryfe/cable dynamic the story itself felt really rushed and they just tried to cram way too much into it

clarmeonts omnibus i havent looked at, but if its from his early runs you cant go wrong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 pm 
Global Moderator

if i wanted to try reading Xmen or spider man or iron man, could i just grab the next ones to come out in a particular story arc and pick up with the storys pretty easy, or would i need to hunt down a bunch of back issues to keep from being lost? i really only have knowledge of the various marvel characters from the movies ive seen, and im sure a good bit of their storys were re written just for the movies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:44 pm 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
if i wanted to try reading Xmen or spider man or iron man, could i just grab the next ones to come out in a particular story arc and pick up with the storys pretty easy, or would i need to hunt down a bunch of back issues to keep from being lost? i really only have knowledge of the various marvel characters from the movies ive seen, and im sure a good bit of their storys were re written just for the movies.

i think spiderman is starting a new arc or something called spider island. ironman should be easy too

xmen a bit more difficult

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 am 
Got Some

Spider Island is over and done with. They are starting a new arc with the Sinister Six either this month or next.

X-Men is definitely more difficult to pick up. The next big event in the Marvel U is Avengers vs X-Men. I would say required reading (or at least Wikipedia plot summaries) for that would be House of M > Messiah Complex > Second Coming > Schism > possibly Avenger's Children's Crusade.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am 
Force of Nature

I really loved these two Batman installments:

Pretty badass storyline with some amazing joker/batman moments. Sometimes very very geeky, but it's always appearant how big of a Batman fan and connaisseur Smith really is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:10 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

PJeff wrote:
Spider Island is over and done with. They are starting a new arc with the Sinister Six either this month or next.

X-Men is definitely more difficult to pick up. The next big event in the Marvel U is Avengers vs X-Men. I would say required reading (or at least Wikipedia plot summaries) for that would be House of M > Messiah Complex > Second Coming > Schism > possibly Avenger's Children's Crusade.

Marvel does a good job putting the recent big events in hard cover collections
you can pick up the main "Avengers Disassembled" "House of M" "Civil War"
"Fear Itself" "Messiah Complex" all pretty cheap and its a good starting point... "X-men Schism" just came out I believe in this form. You can for the most part skip all the side cross overs and still know whats going on, FOR the most part. They useally give you a lil note at the bottom of a panal "as seen in (fill in book)" so you know where to look for missing stuff too.

Im really looking forward to the AvX
It could be REALLY REALLY EPIC
or an utter disaster

all depends on what they do with Wolverine, Storm, and Beast, since all 3 have ties to both teams.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm 

fear itself is tiresome i think. i bought the main book but was really really lost reading it. (i got the gist of it, but i feel like im missing all the plot) i think you have to buy all the tie-ins to really understand all that is going on.

avx is going to be epic i think (least the previews i have seen)

avengers disassembled and house of M get shat on by a lot of fans. but i thoroughly enjoyed both immensely. civil war was pretty good and mcnivens art really stuck out for me.

the big events for xmen, starting with xmen vs avengers (dark), utopia, necronesha, second coming, messiah complex were the best of the big stories for that franchise since mutant massacre/fall of the mutants for me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:24 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Peeps wrote:
fear itself is tiresome i think. i bought the main book but was really really lost reading it. (i got the gist of it, but i feel like im missing all the plot) i think you have to buy all the tie-ins to really understand all that is going on.

avx is going to be epic i think (least the previews i have seen)

avengers disassembled and house of M get shat on by a lot of fans. but i thoroughly enjoyed both immensely. civil war was pretty good and mcnivens art really stuck out for me.

the big events for xmen, starting with xmen vs avengers (dark), utopia, necronesha, second coming, messiah complex were the best of the big stories for that franchise since mutant massacre/fall of the mutants for me

I didnt read the Fear Itself stuff yet... with all the X-men collections out... that I listed before. Avengers Disassembled, House of M, and Civil War you can def get by with just the main books, the cross overs do add to the story, but looking at my bookshelf, thats 15 total.

Im on the fence if I should get the AvX comics or wait for the hard cover collection... its so nice reading it all in one shot instead of waiting weeks...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Didn't see this thread so I'll repost:

I'm reading the following right now:

- Avenging Spider-Man (I'm at issue #3) [Awesome]
- Batman (New 52) [Awesome]
- Teen Titans (New 52) [Awesome]
- Suicide Squad (New 52) [OK]
- Supergirl (New 52) [OK]
- Batgirl (New 52) [Good]
- Walking Dead (I'm at issue #5) [Awesome]
- Invincible (I'm at issue #20) [Awesome]
- Kick Ass (I'm at issue #3) [Good]

I'll make my way through some of the other DC New 52 at some point as well. After a 25+ year break I'm finally reading comics again thanks to my iPad. I'm sorry I ever stopped... any recommendations from the last 25 years that I need to read? I stopped pretty much after those great Batman stories came out in the 80s (Killing Joke, Death in the Family, etc.).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment