Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Calling All Comic Geeks!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:59 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Ok, judging by the popularity of the comic book movies around here my guess is we have to have a few former, if not current, comic book geeks around. By this, I mean people who are currently or were formerly really into comics. I know it's not cool to admit, but you know who you are!

Anyway, I used to be really into them and eventually gave it up once my habit became too much to support. :oops: Lame, I know, but I have an interest in acquiring some select stuff but I've been out of the loop for so long I don't know where to go anymore. Does anyone know if there are reliable online price guides that will help you distinguish between first prints and reissues, and let you know if you're paying fair price for a book or not? Geeks unite!

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:02 am 
Camden Crew

My dad owns a comic book shop.

That being said, I have never read a comic book in my life.

But I do go there and play on the computer sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:27 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

I have way too many comic books and will be looking to sell most of them in the near future. Let me know what you're interested in and I may be able to hook you up with some stuff.

As far as online price guides, I'm not aware of any. Your best bet is to check out a comic shop. Wizard is one of the more popular guides, but I think their price listings tend to be inflated a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:43 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
I have way too many comic books and will be looking to sell most of them in the near future. Let me know what you're interested in and I may be able to hook you up with some stuff.

As far as online price guides, I'm not aware of any. Your best bet is to check out a comic shop. Wizard is one of the more popular guides, but I think their price listings tend to be inflated a bit.

Wizard was the way to go back in the day, but I didn't know if that had changed.

Oh, and most of the shit I'm looking for is for reading, not collecting purposes. I'm actually wanting to read the rest of the Sin City books and when I started investigating I found I can find copies of the actual first printings for about the same as some of the graphic novels. So I was wondering if that was correct or not.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Last edited by Mercury on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:46 am 
Stone's Bitch

Hello..I´m Goncho and I´m a comic geek...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:05 am 
Stone's Bitch

on a serious note..i don´t think that it´s lame to say you used to be a comic geek...I think comic books are often not taken seriously with stuff like "they are for children" and things like that...they are stories...just like some fantastic stories are told in books or movies...they just happen to be told by drawings instead of just words or moving images, and like in every other media there are good comic books and bad comic books...just like there are good and bad movies or good and bad books
wheter some people believe it or not some comic books require a lot of maturity to be read, and believe me, some of them make a much more interesting read than a lot of shit out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:21 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:26 am 
In a van down by the river

i have probably about 1000-1500 or so in my closet, mostly, if not all marvel. i have xmen from about 150-300, xfactor from 1 until about 80, a boatload of avengers, including annual 10, iron man and captain america, the three spiderman books (web of, amazing and spectacular) all from around that same time too

when i feel like drawing, ill break open old byrne on xmen, namor or ff or simmonson issues of thor.

to me john byrne is one of the best artists ever, his art style was nice and fluid and he didnt add alot of detail just for details sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:43 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Peeps wrote:
i have probably about 1000-1500 or so in my closet, mostly, if not all marvel. i have xmen from about 150-300, xfactor from 1 until about 80, a boatload of avengers, including annual 10, iron man and captain america, the three spiderman books (web of, amazing and spectacular) all from around that same time too

when i feel like drawing, ill break open old byrne on xmen, namor or ff or simmonson issues of thor.

to me john byrne is one of the best artists ever, his art style was nice and fluid and he didnt add alot of detail just for details sake.

I was a Marvel guy as well. I loved most of the same ones, X-men, Spiderman, X-force, Punisher, etc. I always thought Spiderman was one of the most interesting books to see an artist draw. Almost everyone who worked on the book had their own take on it. I'm still kind of partial to McFarlane's version, simply because I got into it when he was drawing Amazing Spiderman.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

My Mom threw out all of my Comics, Baseball, Basketball, and Football Cards when I went into the military. I cry when I think about how much I could get for some of them right now. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:49 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Peeps wrote:

Agreed Peeps. His run on both Uncanny and FF injected new life into those titles (especially FF).

Loved his splash pages in X-Men (e.g., Sauron, Magneto...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:49 am 
Unthought Known

I'm only missing a few select issues from my G.I. Joe collection. I loved those fucking comics. Storm Shadow rules!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:06 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Count me as a former comic geek. I still am, but now I mostly read web comics. However, I did pick up the Flight trade paperbacks. Those are AMAZINGLY well done. Not straight up super hero stuff, but good stories with a lot of different styles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:14 pm 
In a van down by the river

Mercury wrote:
Peeps wrote:

I was a Marvel guy as well. I loved most of the same ones, X-men, Spiderman, X-force, Punisher, etc. I always thought Spiderman was one of the most interesting books to see an artist draw. Almost everyone who worked on the book had their own take on it. I'm still kind of partial to McFarlane's version, simply because I got into it when he was drawing Amazing Spiderman.

mcfarlanes run was definately something exciting, but to me, mark bagley was my favorite spiderman artist

i was never a fan of liefled, his characters always had their mouths open screaming, and they had no wrists or ankles

though him having the dragon kick god in the nuts was pretty good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:55 pm 
Force of Nature

Cartman wrote:
My Mom threw out all of my Comics, Baseball, Basketball, and Football Cards when I went into the military. I cry when I think about how much I could get for some of them right now. :cry:

:shock: I'm pretty sure that's an act of terrorism.

I always had comic books as a kid, and collected them as a hobby from around age 12-14. I stopped around grade 9. I still have them though, stored in a few boxes. And all my hockey cards, star wars, raiders of the lost ark cards, etc. I mostly had DC comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:16 pm 
not a big Gay guy

i've got wolverine 1-75ish
uncanny x-men 250 - 350 or something like that
x-men 1-30 or so
x-force 1-30 or so
x-factor 60 - 90 or something like that
batmans from the death of robin up through god knows where
detective comics from the same era...5&600s mostly, i believe
a bunch of iron man
a few thor
a couple mcfarlane spider mans
uh...probably some other stuff, too. at one point i was getting nearly all the x-books and i feel like i'm forgetting one (though i always thought new mutants and excalibur sucked the root)
at the height of my comic geekdom i was probably spending $15 - $20 a month on new issues which isn't a ton of money, but when you consider that was when some books still went for a buck...or maybe it was a buck and a quarter by then, i forget. anything with a fancy cover on it or included trading cards meant i must have it. heh.

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I've probably got about 1500 to 2000 in my closet, mostly DC (Green Arrow, Green Lantern Corp., Wonder Woman, JLA, JLE, some Batman and Superman, Teen Titans). The stuff I have is around the "Crisis" era when they restarted many titles back to issue #1. My "guys" are Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Dennis O'Neal, Neal Adams, John Byrne, Dick Giordano, Mike Grell, Frank Miller, Alan Moore. I also have Jeff Smith's "Bone" Series, and assorted other stuff (Concrete, Lenore, Serenity Rose, Gloom Cookie). My husband has some Marvel, mostely for the Strenko cover art. I do have the original Inhumans run and the subsquent mini-runs, and some Fantastic Four (mostly the issues with the gal from Inhumans in it along with the big giant dog.... I love that "dog"). Kevin Smith's Green Arrow run was great but I stopped collecting it once he jumped ship. I have a few old World's Finest and Detective Comics books, and some number of the hardbacks "Greatest _____ Ever Told" books (from DC). The Deadman boxed collection is great, as is the Green Arrow/Green Lantern one. I think I have X-Men #11 (or maybe its #17, I'll have to double check it), given to me as a gift.

I usually use the Overstreet Price Guide, I can't see any reason to use something else other than that. It comes out in hardback and in paperback each year still, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:43 pm 
Force of Nature

I don't know if you're into reading current titles right now, but I'd recommend Garth Ennis' The Punisher MAX book. It's heavy on the language and nudity, and the violence is almost comical, but it's the way the Punisher should be.

There's a few trades out for it, so it will be easy to catch up on. The most recent issue was #24 I believe.

I didn't get into comics until Jim Lee's X-Men #1, and I've been buying it ever since, through all its name changes and what not. Grant Morrison's and Frank Quitely's run, while strange in parts, is almost necessary reading, especially E is for Extinction.

Marvel is doing some crossover across a lot of their books called House of M that promises to screw a lot of things up in Marvel's already convoluted continuity. I know for Claremont and Uncanny X-Men that it just means Claremont gets to dredge up characters nobody but him cares about. Oh yeah, Claremont is also writing a new Excalibur book too. I stopped reading that after about four issues.

The New Avengers book just started up, written by Marvel's go-to guy, Brian Michael Bendis. If one of your favorite characters was Vision or Hawkeye, you won't find them in this book, since they killed them last fall.

Another good book is Y: The Last Man. It's about the last man on Earth, and how that situation wouldn't be as glamorous as it sounds.

I really don't know of any online price guides. I'd just stick to buying trades if you're trying to catch up on things. They're cheaper than back issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The latest (paperback) Overstreet (price guide)is #32 with Spiderman on the cover

Paperback: 992 pages
Publisher: House of Collectibles; 32nd edition (May 28, 2002)
Language: English
ISBN: 0609808214
Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.5 x 1.6 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.9 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:22 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

evenflow wrote:
I don't know if you're into reading current titles right now, but I'd recommend Garth Ennis' The Punisher MAX book. It's heavy on the language and nudity, and the violence is almost comical, but it's the way the Punisher should be.

There's a few trades out for it, so it will be easy to catch up on. The most recent issue was #24 I believe.

I didn't get into comics until Jim Lee's X-Men #1, and I've been buying it ever since, through all its name changes and what not. Grant Morrison's and Frank Quitely's run, while strange in parts, is almost necessary reading, especially E is for Extinction.

Marvel is doing some crossover across a lot of their books called House of M that promises to screw a lot of things up in Marvel's already convoluted continuity. I know for Claremont and Uncanny X-Men that it just means Claremont gets to dredge up characters nobody but him cares about. Oh yeah, Claremont is also writing a new Excalibur book too. I stopped reading that after about four issues.

The New Avengers book just started up, written by Marvel's go-to guy, Brian Michael Bendis. If one of your favorite characters was Vision or Hawkeye, you won't find them in this book, since they killed them last fall.

Another good book is Y: The Last Man. It's about the last man on Earth, and how that situation wouldn't be as glamorous as it sounds.

I really don't know of any online price guides. I'd just stick to buying trades if you're trying to catch up on things. They're cheaper than back issues.

Thanks for the advice. I'm basically wanting to read through the whole Sin City storyline and I already got "The Hard Goodbye" is trade paperback form. I was searching around ebay trying to find a deal on some of the other ones and started noticing that you could buy the entire run of "A Dame to Kill For" for about $20 when the paperback costs $17 so I've kind of become torn on how I want to read the series.

But I like how this has become a broader discussion of comics in general.

The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment