Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Film: Prometheus (Ridley Scott Alien prequel..sort of)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 pm 
Coast to Coast

VinylGuy wrote:
do you know if they spent 40 million in marketing?

Like I said, that's a modest guess for a movie of this scope.

The industry standard for smaller fare is 20 million for P&A costs (Prints and Advertising). This is known as the "LionsGate twenty", since they pretty much made it standard, and is commonly used for smaller movies, romantic comedies, non-franchise horror films-- not summer blockbusters, big properties or Oscar contenders. Movie marketing costs have skyrocketed in the last decade. Paramount has been spending about 100 million for marketing of some of their bigger movies in recent years. "Prometheus", as an R-rated sci-fi horror film is not as cross-marketable as something like "Iron Man", but is more so than "Anna Karenina" which would more than likely receive the "LionsGate twenty" treatment. Given these facts, my 40 million estimate is perhaps even too conservative. They're probably spending more.

VinylGuy wrote:
and that half of the box office goes to the exhibitors?

I meant distributors and exhibitors. But yes, usually studios only get about 50% of the box-office. Sometimes they get even more. Contracts are drawn out for films on a case-by-case basis depending, among other things, on the film's budget and the distributor's clout.

"These deals often protect the theaters from movies that bomb at the box office by giving the theaters a bigger cut of those films. So if a film only makes $10 million at the box office, the distributor will get only 45 percent of that money. But if a film makes $300 million at the box office, then the distributor gets up to 60 percent of that money."

http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-d ... profitable

VinylGuy wrote:
or is that you inventing those numbers?

These are all estimates. Fox hasn't released official information on P&A costs or their marketing campaign. I could be wrong. But I'm probably not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
do you know if they spent 40 million in marketing?

Like I said, that's a modest guess for a movie of this scope.

The industry standard for smaller fare is 20 million for P&A costs (Prints and Advertising). This is known as the "LionsGate twenty", since they pretty much made it standard, and is commonly used for smaller movies, romantic comedies, non-franchise horror films-- not summer blockbusters, big properties or Oscar contenders. Movie marketing costs have skyrocketed in the last decade. Paramount has been spending about 100 million for marketing of some of their bigger movies in recent years. "Prometheus", as an R-rated sci-fi horror film is not as cross-marketable as something like "Iron Man", but is more so than "Anna Karenina" which would more than likely receive the "LionsGate twenty" treatment. Given these facts, my 40 million estimate is perhaps even too conservative. They're probably spending more.

VinylGuy wrote:
and that half of the box office goes to the exhibitors?

I meant distributors and exhibitors. But yes, usually studios only get about 50% of the box-office. Sometimes they get even more. Contracts are drawn out for films on a case-by-case basis depending, among other things, on the film's budget and the distributor's clout.

"These deals often protect the theaters from movies that bomb at the box office by giving the theaters a bigger cut of those films. So if a film only makes $10 million at the box office, the distributor will get only 45 percent of that money. But if a film makes $300 million at the box office, then the distributor gets up to 60 percent of that money."

http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-d ... profitable

VinylGuy wrote:
or is that you inventing those numbers?

These are all estimates. Fox hasn't released official information on P&A costs or their marketing campaign. I could be wrong. But I'm probably not.

all that knowledge...i feel you deserve better. Life isn`t fair.

"These are all estimates. Fox hasn't released official information on P&A costs or their marketing campaign. I could be wrong. But I'm probably not"

:haha:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 pm 
Coast to Coast

VinylGuy wrote:

I'm doing okay, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:33 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I'm doing okay, thanks!

you funny guy...

anyway, so when are they going to announce the sequel?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

Just FYI

Some countries Europe and in Asia has not seen Prometheus due to some weird decision by Fox not to release this simultaneously.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:19 pm 
Supersonic

Falling spaceships are people magnets, apparently. Thanks for the warning, every movie ever made featuring a falling spaceship.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

We are getting the sequel, and lindelof isn´t part of the proyect.
Good news, here it´s what aint it cool is saying about it:

The PROMETHEUS Sequel Is Moving Forward!! Fassbender, Rapace!! No Lindelof??
Published at: Aug 01, 2012 1:27:18 PM CDT

Per THR, Fox and Ridley Scott are moving forward with a sequel to PROMETHEUS - a possibility brazenly advanced by the conclusion of this Summer's ALIENverse psuedo-prequel-thingie.

In the eternity ramping up to the release of PROMETHEUS, The Powers That Be had strongly and repeatedly indicated that a sequel film was hopeful-to-likely, although this is our first pointed and relatively official indication that a second picture exploring pre-ALIEN existential mythology might actually be happening.

Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available.
...says THR.

PROMETHEUS, whose nice-sounding Blu-ray release went up for pre-order shortly before/as the movie hit theaters, will arrive on home video soonish.

In numerous interviews, Scott has insinuated that when...

******** SPOILER ********

...Fassbender and Rapace's characters find the Engineer's home world, we'll discover that it isn't a terribly nice place. From the sound of matters, he appeared to be referring to the events of an immediate sequel as opposed to developments which may occur in even later projects. As such, it seems a relatively safe bet to assume that this is exactly what we'll see.

Early conjecture and reports suggest a PROMETHEUS sequel would be entitled PARADISE, which would refer to the above-mentioned Engineer home world and could be viewed as ironic given that Scott seems to feel it'll be a decidedly ungood place. PARADISE, by the way, was at one point indicated to be the title of PROMETHEUS.

THR says PROME2EUS is headed towards a 2014/2015 release. More as we know more...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

We are getting the sequel, and lindelof isn´t part of the proyect.
Good news, here it´s what aint it cool is saying about it:

The PROMETHEUS Sequel Is Moving Forward!! Fassbender, Rapace!! No Lindelof??
Published at: Aug 01, 2012 1:27:18 PM CDT

Per THR, Fox and Ridley Scott are moving forward with a sequel to PROMETHEUS - a possibility brazenly advanced by the conclusion of this Summer's ALIENverse psuedo-prequel-thingie.

In the eternity ramping up to the release of PROMETHEUS, The Powers That Be had strongly and repeatedly indicated that a sequel film was hopeful-to-likely, although this is our first pointed and relatively official indication that a second picture exploring pre-ALIEN existential mythology might actually be happening.

Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available.
...says THR.

PROMETHEUS, whose nice-sounding Blu-ray release went up for pre-order shortly before/as the movie hit theaters, will arrive on home video soonish.

In numerous interviews, Scott has insinuated that when...

******** SPOILER ********

...Fassbender and Rapace's characters find the Engineer's home world, we'll discover that it isn't a terribly nice place. From the sound of matters, he appeared to be referring to the events of an immediate sequel as opposed to developments which may occur in even later projects. As such, it seems a relatively safe bet to assume that this is exactly what we'll see.

Early conjecture and reports suggest a PROMETHEUS sequel would be entitled PARADISE, which would refer to the above-mentioned Engineer home world and could be viewed as ironic given that Scott seems to feel it'll be a decidedly ungood place. PARADISE, by the way, was at one point indicated to be the title of PROMETHEUS.

THR says PROME2EUS is headed towards a 2014/2015 release. More as we know more...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 pm 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
PROME2EUS

they can't just do that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 pm 
Unthought Known

Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
PROME2EUS

they can't just do that

Prome3us will explain why they can.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:22 pm 
Supersonic

bmacsmith wrote:
Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
PROME2EUS

they can't just do that

Prome3us will explain why they can.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 pm 
Got Some

actually more excited to see this a second time...on blu ray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:51 pm 
Mike's Maniac

I can see why people hated it, but I liked it. I thought it was visually stunning and that fact that there making a sequel will get the questions left by prometheus answered.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

lowlight79 wrote:
I can see why people hated it, but I liked it. I thought it was visually stunning and that fact that there making a sequel will get the questions left by prometheus answered.

This is what i feel too, im looking forward to see the blue ray.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

saw the deleted scenes, there is a extendes scene with the Weyland and the engineer pretty interesting...they should have left that in the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 pm 
Got Some

VinylGuy wrote:
saw the deleted scenes, there is a extendes scene with the Weyland and the engineer pretty interesting...they should have left that in the movie.

this is one of the first movies i can remember actually wanting to watch the deleted scenes. i agree they should have left that in. also, the scene toward the end when Shaw goes back in to get oxygen...why they cut that is beyond me. way more tension and build up.

there needs to be a feature where i can choose to plug in the deleted scenes i want while i'm watching the movie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Red Mosquitoes wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

this is one of the first movies i can remember actually wanting to watch the deleted scenes. i agree they should have left that in. also, the scene toward the end when Shaw goes back in to get oxygen...why they cut that is beyond me. way more tension and build up.

there needs to be a feature where i can choose to plug in the deleted scenes i want while i'm watching the movie.

Im sure they will release a director´s new cut ina few years with more things...these deleted scenes were pretty good actually.
Looking forward to see what they are going to do with the planet of the engineers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:06 pm 
Supersonic

Hey, there's a mysterious and previously unregistered life form in that water. Let's go dip our faces in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:01 pm 
Supersonic

McParadigm wrote:
Hey, there's a mysterious and previously unregistered life form in that water. Let's go dip our faces in it.

7/10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

this was better the second time. I didn't think anyone could strike the same tone as Weaver's Ripley, but Mara made me a believer.

The
Spoiler: show
c-section
scene was grueling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment