Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Film: Prometheus (Ridley Scott Alien prequel..sort of)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:19 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

some behind the scenes shots

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:48 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Saw it yesterday...i like it.

I think its basically a flawed movie, mainly because it tries too hard to be different things...a new movie, a prequel...I loved the designs, the planet, the ship...everything looks amazing, and adds a lot to the alien mythology, and the main story is pretty good too but most of the characters were pretty bad, specially those two fuckers that get lost...and even shaw and vickers were pretty undimensional. For the acting itself i liked some of noomi raapace moments and some charlize ones too...i liked guy pearce...yeah they were all ok....and for Ridley..well he is really good at creating tension but most of the moments of the movie seemed rushed and some others were pretty bad like the attack of one of those stupid guys from the ship.
overall a good movie, ill see it again and i hope they make a sequel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:48 pm 
Force of Nature

Not really a spoiler since it's in quite a few trailers but hey, it's hidden now so don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 pm 
Spacegirl

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:25 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

:D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:55 am 
Supersonic

I saw it in IMAX 3d. Best 3D I've seen.

I thought the movie was great. I would have liked some depth to a few more of the characters, but it generally it was quite well done. There's a lot going on here that I don't think people are realizing. Tons of symbolism, subtle Greek mythology stuff. The plot itself is more fleshed out than the characters if you ask me.

These are some weak criticisms I'm seeing. Do you really think the biologist was petting the alien because he thought it was cool? I didn't feel that way at all. He went to pet the alien hoping that his calm actions wouldn't get him killed. It seemed to me that he was far more afraid of the actual alien than the the corpses.

As to the X vs Y running. Depending on velocities and distance running in the Y direction may have been more viable. Particularly if the motion of the ship arrested. Weak criticism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 am 
Former PJ Drummer

¡B! wrote:

ha, i knew that didn't seem right. i meant to look it up later

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:36 pm 
Unthought Known

LittleWing wrote:

I thought the movie was great. I would have liked some depth to a few more of the characters, but it generally it was quite well done. There's a lot going on here that I don't think people are realizing. Tons of symbolism, subtle Greek mythology stuff. The plot itself is more fleshed out than the characters if you ask me.

These are some weak criticisms I'm seeing. Do you really think the biologist was petting the alien because he thought it was cool? I didn't feel that way at all. He went to pet the alien hoping that his calm actions wouldn't get him killed. It seemed to me that he was far more afraid of the actual alien than the the corpses.

As to the X vs Y running. Depending on velocities and distance running in the Y direction may have been more viable. Particularly if the motion of the ship arrested. Weak criticism.

any biologist knows that petting snakes is the best way to calm them! come on, that scene was just terrible. he wasnt the least bit afraid. otherwise i agree, a lot of the crits are overblown. you are right about the ship. Its not that bright from a character point of view, but its paced well, the action is intense and it has enough Alien tropes (but not too many) for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:16 pm 
The Snowboy

MF wrote:
¡B! wrote:

ha, i knew that didn't seem right. i meant to look it up later

It's a funny tweet, but when I heard that line in the cinema, I didn't assume she was being scientifically accurate. Did she say it during the briefing at the start? If so, big issue, but if not, it's just a throw-away line anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:24 pm 
The Snowboy

bmacsmith wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

any biologist knows that petting snakes is the best way to calm them! come on, that scene was just terrible. he wasnt the least bit afraid. otherwise i agree, a lot of the crits are overblown. you are right about the ship. Its not that bright from a character point of view, but its paced well, the action is intense and it has enough Alien tropes (but not too many) for me.

"Do you really think the biologist was petting the alien because he thought it was cool?"

Yeah, I do. Regardless, bmac's right - you don't even pet a domestic snake unless you've made sure it won't bite you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 pm 
Force of Nature

The religious overtones make me not like this movie more than I should. My initial reaction was positive but after realizing all of the religious stuff that was thrown in, I'm starting to hate that it was in there. I still enjoyed it but it pisses me off that they had to have that as part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm 
AnalLog

Rocky Estoppel wrote:
The religious overtones make me not like this movie more than I should. My initial reaction was positive but after realizing all of the religious stuff that was thrown in, I'm starting to hate that it was in there. I still enjoyed it but it pisses me off that they had to have that as part of the story.

Totally agree. The movie would have been much better off without it.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:26 pm 
The Snowboy

Christian symbolism is archetypal. It's in pretty much everything if you look for it. If you only realised it was there after you saw it, what's the problem? Did the theme of Christian pilgrimage and the 'now and not yet' theme of Hebrews spoil your viewing of The Lord of The Rings?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:48 pm 
Coast to Coast

I think the whole "Jesus was an alien whose crucifixion was indirectly responsible for the creation of the xenomorphs" thing was stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm 
Force of Nature

Harmless wrote:
Christian symbolism is archetypal. It's in pretty much everything if you look for it. If you only realised it was there after you saw it, what's the problem? Did the theme of Christian pilgrimage and the 'now and not yet' theme of Hebrews spoil your viewing of The Lord of The Rings?
yeah I don't think it's the same. There it was symbolism. Here, it was actually interjected into the plot and storyline. There were things I noticed during the movie that bothered me and the more the movie digested with me, the more I realized how much it actually did bother me. I still like the movie but I think it could have been so much more without that stuff in the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:20 pm 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:
I think the whole "Jesus was an alien whose crucifixion was indirectly responsible for the creation of the xenomorphs" thing was stupid.

Me too. I thought it was kind of a huge cop-out and they could have developed a much more interesting explanation.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:23 pm 
Unthought Known

Orpheus wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Me too. I thought it was kind of a huge cop-out and they could have developed a much more interesting explanation.

i missed this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:34 pm 
Coast to Coast

It's an interpretation, but more or less confirmed by Ridley Scott in interviews. Just kinda lame.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 pm 
The Snowboy

I guess I missed it as well. If it was in there overtly, then yes it's lame. I was just going by the general mythological arc, which might've said 'Christian allegory' if you were looking for it. Certainly there was a lot about 'intelligent design' vs. evolution of a kind, and the idea of The Maker as an alien. I find all that interesting, but hackneyed unless you're going to bring something new to the table. It's kind of origin mythology by numbers, which is why I mentioned The X-Files before.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:58 pm 
Coast to Coast

Harmless wrote:
I guess I missed it as well. If it was in there overtly, then yes it's lame. I was just going by the general mythological arc, which might've said 'Christian allegory' if you were looking for it. Certainly there was a lot about 'intelligent design' vs. evolution of a kind, and the idea of The Maker as an alien. I find all that interesting, but hackneyed unless you're going to bring something new to the table. It's kind of origin mythology by numbers, which is why I mentioned The X-Files before.

Did you read this?
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Like I said, it's just an interpretation, but Ridley Scott has basically said "yep, that's what we were going for, but we decided to bury it in the subtext."

I thought the movie was okay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment