Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Captain America 7/22/2011
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 am 
Got Some

I was pretty disapointed in this. I thought they missed an opportunity to make a great film. I've seen thor and xmen this summer and this easily my least favorite of the three. It wasn't a bad movei but i thought they could have done a better job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:24 pm 
Got Some

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
I was majorely dissapointed, Bucky kicks so much ass in the comics... he was like a tossed in two bit character IMO... especially the run of comics that revealed him as the Winter Soldier and eluded to his real job back in WW2 (he wasnt just a sidekick) I know this was Caps movie and a prelude to the Avengers... but meh...

Spoiler: show
and he doesnt even die with Cap on the plane? but just falls off a train... lameeeeeeeeeeee unless thats how he died in the Ultimate comics, but wtf, have him take that lil bomb pod out / blow up / Cap sees it goes and gets the skull

Id rank this one below X-men First Class and Thor
Cap better be featured more in the Avengers movies and really shine

i bet buckey survives...think back to when cap rescues all of the soldiers. Buckey was on a table in the dr's office. Looks to me like they could have been experimenting on him, maybe they hit him up with a less potent super soldier serum that cap was hit with. I could see him surviving w cap's special regenerating abilities

my dvds:
http://db.etree.org/jimbojones1138

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:17 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

jimbojones1138 wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
I was majorely dissapointed, Bucky kicks so much ass in the comics... he was like a tossed in two bit character IMO... especially the run of comics that revealed him as the Winter Soldier and eluded to his real job back in WW2 (he wasnt just a sidekick) I know this was Caps movie and a prelude to the Avengers... but meh...

and he doesnt even die with Cap on the plane? but just falls off a train... lameeeeeeeeeeee unless thats how he died in the Ultimate comics, but wtf, have him take that lil bomb pod out / blow up / Cap sees it goes and gets the skull

Id rank this one below X-men First Class and Thor
Cap better be featured more in the Avengers movies and really shine

i bet buckey survives...think back to when cap rescues all of the soldiers. Buckey was on a table in the dr's office. Looks to me like they could have been experimenting on him, maybe they hit him up with a less potent super soldier serum that cap was hit with. I could see him surviving w cap's special regenerating abilities

yeah good point, thats possible... I still found the whole scene with Cap flying the flying bomb off the flying wing, then crashing it back into the flying wing to be so, way too impossible. It would have served as a much better spot for Bucky to die. Have them both get off the train... both onto the plane... Cap and Bucky see the bad guy get in the bomb, Bucky says I got it, you go get SKull... and have the plane blow up as soon as it drops out. "end" of Bucky... Cap crushed... Skull laughs... Cap gets skull. And of course, Bucky survived the crash as he bailed out / parachuted but no body was ever found revealed at a later time. :D I actually thought that WHILE watching the movie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 am 
Supersonic

The first half of this movie gave me great hope. I was enjoying it. It took care with its characters, time with its story, and even managed to have a bit of a style of its own...something Marvel movies tend to lack, as they all end up looking a bit samey.

Then the action part of the movie started.

Holy turkey shit, what a letdown. I can't remember the last action movie I saw that was so lazy about and bored with it's OWN ACTION SCENES. And it's not just the montage....which would, by itself, be enough to make it all a little funny. It's the roughly 45 minutes of this movie that is filled with Captain America jumping in slow motion while something blows up. It's the additional 15 minutes that is simply a cut away to an explosion happening at an undisclosed location. It's the constant total indifference to whether or not the events onscreen are being SOLD at all. It's the extras standing behind ole' Cap with guns, refusing to shoot or attack until he's ready. The people walking almost casually atop speeding tanks. The super CGI look to anything that happens to be bigger than a house. It's also the scores of Americans and Germans standing ten feet apart shooting at each other but only one or two guys get hit, and the motorcycle baddies appearing from out of nowhere (because of course they would), and the way he sneaks through a half mile of Nazi military base with an American flag on his back by just sort of crouching. It's Tommy Lee Jones telling ALL OF HIS MEN to hide in the foliage and then standing in plain sight of anybody who might bother to look. It's the refusal to even attempt to make anything that's happening ever look sort of real. It's....it's....it's....

It's the Red Skull.

This was probably the biggest issue I had with this movie.

You have a great character, great actor, and great make-up guy. So what do you do? Well, if you're a total douchebag you make him the most ineffective and easily defeated villain since Sam Rockwell.

No. I take that back. Sam Rockwell was actually a more successful bad guy.

I mean, when your hero is kicking the bad guy's ass SO HARD, defeating him so completely, that you have to cut it into a montage in order to save time, you know something's gone wrong. When you are filming a scene where your big villain stands in the smoking crater of yet another of his defeats and yells at his dwarfy fishbowl-glasses wearing minion and tells him its his fault, you know you've made a huge mistake. When he literally never confronts the main hero without both losing AND running away, you've undersold something.

See, because now you haven't created this:

Or even this:

You've created this:

I liked the first half of this movie as much as I liked Thor and Iron Man. The reality is that Marvel likes movies that feature shiny spectacle, eye candy (tits, mantits, big guns, or magic stuff), and quirky one-liners. Both of those movies found room for those things. So did the first chunk of this flick. The second half wanted to be an entire different movie, in a hurry, and it was very, very silly.

Honestly, the first Iron Man had a pretty soft villain, too...but it relegated that villain to a sort of sideline status in order to tell an entertaining origin story that involved character growth. This movie wanted that cake, but it wanted to maintain its low body fat and huge pecs too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:42 am 
Unthought Known

it is kinda funny how Cap beats the shit out of the bad guys from start to finish. didnt really bother me as much as you. i felt like it succeeded in the same way Ironman did, now that you mention it. but Hydra did suck pretty bad. they looked like BDSM rejects with shiny laser guns. i would have liked them to be more nazi-ish. my main complaint was that everything in the last third of the movie felt rushed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 am 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
The first half of this movie gave me great hope. I was enjoying it. It took care with its characters, time with its story, and even managed to have a bit of a style of its own...something Marvel movies tend to lack, as they all end up looking a bit samey.

Holy turkey shit, what a letdown. I can't remember the last action movie I saw that was so lazy about and bored with it's OWN ACTION SCENES. And it's not just the montage....which would, by itself, be enough to make it all a little funny. It's the roughly 45 minutes of this movie that is filled with Captain America jumping in slow motion while something blows up. It's the additional 15 minutes that is simply a cut away to an explosion happening at an undisclosed location. It's the constant total indifference to whether or not the events onscreen are being SOLD at all. It's the extras standing behind ole' Cap with guns, refusing to shoot or attack until he's ready. The people walking almost casually atop speeding tanks. The super CGI look to anything that happens to be bigger than a house. It's also the scores of Americans and Germans standing ten feet apart shooting at each other but only one or two guys get hit, and the motorcycle baddies appearing from out of nowhere (because of course they would), and the way he sneaks through a half mile of Nazi military base with an American flag on his back by just sort of crouching. It's Tommy Lee Jones telling ALL OF HIS MEN to hide in the foliage and then standing in plain sight of anybody who might bother to look. It's the refusal to even attempt to make anything that's happening ever look sort of real. It's....it's....it's....

It's the Red Skull.

You have a great character, great actor, and great make-up guy. So what do you do? Well, if you're a total douchebag you make him the most ineffective and easily defeated villain since Sam Rockwell.

I mean, when your hero is kicking the bad guy's ass SO HARD, defeating him so completely, that you have to cut it into a montage in order to save time, you know something's gone wrong. When you are filming a scene where your big villain stands in the smoking crater of yet another of his defeats and yells at his dwarfy fishbowl-glasses wearing minion and tells him its his fault, you know you've made a huge mistake. When he literally never confronts the main hero without both losing AND running away, you've undersold something.

Or even this:

You've created this:

I liked the first half of this movie as much as I liked Thor and Iron Man. The reality is that Marvel likes movies that feature shiny spectacle, eye candy (tits, mantits, big guns, or magic stuff), and quirky one-liners. Both of those movies found room for those things. So did the first chunk of this flick. The second half wanted to be an entire different movie, in a hurry, and it was very, very silly.

Honestly, the first Iron Man had a pretty soft villain, too...but it relegated that villain to a sort of sideline status in order to tell an entertaining origin story that involved character growth. This movie wanted that cake, but it wanted to maintain its low body fat and huge pecs too.

What did you expect? Shawshank Redemption?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 am 
Got Some

I'm intodeep and i approve of this post
McParadigm wrote:

It's the Red Skull.

Or even this:

You've created this:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm 
Got Some

McParadigm wrote:

It's the Red Skull.

Or even this:

You've created this:

i actually really liked this review, and i haven't even seen the movie yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:21 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

McParadigm wrote:

It's the Red Skull.

Or even this:

You've created this:

I can see being let down in the Villian in deed, He was really well done but that end fight was rather week, which is why I really would have had Bucky involved too, Bucky beat up the bad guy henchmen on the bomb planes, Cap goes after the Skull for a show down.

Thats also why I say the X-men First class is the best of the movies out this year
the set up for Magneto was just so... great.

did anyone else get the feel of Sky Captain and the World Tomorrow watching Cap? the visual look im talking about. It had that same style feel to it in a way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:59 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I watched this for the second time today and I'm left wondering about something (and mind you I'm not a comics reader).

After the end fight on the ship, when Cap radios back he says that Red Skull is dead. But the way that whole scene is played, when he's holding the blue cube and the skies open up and you can see what seems to be Thor's world (which, I know enough to know that's where the cube originally came from) is there a chance that Red Skull didn't actually die there, but rather he sort of got transported to Thor's realm? (and maybe that'll even be part of the Thor 2 story?)

And, well, I still say that it seems kind of odd that CA couldn't have escaped that ship after it crashed. But, if not than we couldn't have had him cryogenically freeze and then have him be his strapping young self for the Avengers :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:10 am 
In a van down by the river

Samwise wrote:
I watched this for the second time today and I'm left wondering about something (and mind you I'm not a comics reader).

After the end fight on the ship, when Cap radios back he says that Red Skull is dead. But the way that whole scene is played, when he's holding the blue cube and the skies open up and you can see what seems to be Thor's world (which, I know enough to know that's where the cube originally came from) is there a chance that Red Skull didn't actually die there, but rather he sort of got transported to Thor's realm? (and maybe that'll even be part of the Thor 2 story?)

And, well, I still say that it seems kind of odd that CA couldn't have escaped that ship after it crashed. But, if not than we couldn't have had him cryogenically freeze and then have him be his strapping young self for the Avengers :P

ironman, hulk, captain america, ironman 2 and thor all tied in.

ill do my best.

in ironman they show a glimpse of caps shield (upon seeing the CA movie, you see tonys dad worked on the cap project) as well as introduction to shield (though the acronym wasnt used yet). end of ironman nick fury is introduced talking about the avenger initiative.

then comes the hulk (ed norton). the serum used to create blonski's supersoldier (what the project was called to create cap) it is revealed to be part of the serum that created cap, but with out the vita rays and unique gene code, it is unstable). at the end start approaches general ross about the hulk problem.

ironman 2. more introduction of shield specifically agent colston and black widow as well as more nick fury. at the end, colston leaves because of something in arizona (or oklahoma i cant remember). at the end of IM2 there is the crater with the hammer in the center.

thor. we find out the hammer is the hammer of thor and that shield is looking into it. we also catch glimpses of weapons created or owned by odin, thors father, but one of the stands to show off the weapons is empty. more shield is introduced as well as a certain archer who asks permission to take out the crazed long haired hippie. at the end of thor we see loki scheming to get his hands on this self sustained energy device in the shape of a cube.

captain america we find out what it took to become the first avenger. while the genetic augmentation helps, its the desire to do good and fight for whats right that makes one "captain america". during the movie we see the red skull has come upon a item that will do untold damage to the world if he activates it. this item is what was missing from odins weapon chamber, the cosmic cube. (in the comics it is a wishing device...you think it, it becomes reality).

now in the comics, cap was on a rocket headed towards america, and he disarmed it above the arctic circle and fell with it into the icy sea. the cold plus the super soldier serum is what put him in suspended animation. also in the comics, bucky also died on a mission at the same time as cap. years after cap wakes up, he and the red skull again fight over the cosmic cube (in the comics this was a created out of nature, not a weapon of asgard) and cap encounters the winter soldier. the winter soldier has a bionic arm to replace the one he was missing and was awoken during the cold war and was their most prized assassin in russia. turns out the winter soldier is none other than bucky, he too was put in suspended animation when he fell to the sea, but aged slower than normal but faster than cap. when cap grabs the cube, he says one thing, remember then wishes it out of existence. the winter soldier then goes into hiding unable to cope with his memories of being a hero and caps side kick (though in actuality bucky did the wet works of the war that cap was not to know about).
once cap is killed in the comics (ok his soul sent back in time) winter soldier takes on the mantle of captain america knowing full well cap would be back.

tl'dr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Peeps wrote:
Samwise wrote:

ironman, hulk, captain america, ironman 2 and thor all tied in.

ill do my best.

in ironman they show a glimpse of caps shield (upon seeing the CA movie, you see tonys dad worked on the cap project) as well as introduction to shield (though the acronym wasnt used yet). end of ironman nick fury is introduced talking about the avenger initiative.

then comes the hulk (ed norton). the serum used to create blonski's supersoldier (what the project was called to create cap) it is revealed to be part of the serum that created cap, but with out the vita rays and unique gene code, it is unstable). at the end start approaches general ross about the hulk problem.

ironman 2. more introduction of shield specifically agent colston and black widow as well as more nick fury. at the end, colston leaves because of something in arizona (or oklahoma i cant remember). at the end of IM2 there is the crater with the hammer in the center.

thor. we find out the hammer is the hammer of thor and that shield is looking into it. we also catch glimpses of weapons created or owned by odin, thors father, but one of the stands to show off the weapons is empty. more shield is introduced as well as a certain archer who asks permission to take out the crazed long haired hippie. at the end of thor we see loki scheming to get his hands on this self sustained energy device in the shape of a cube.

captain america we find out what it took to become the first avenger. while the genetic augmentation helps, its the desire to do good and fight for whats right that makes one "captain america". during the movie we see the red skull has come upon a item that will do untold damage to the world if he activates it. this item is what was missing from odins weapon chamber, the cosmic cube. (in the comics it is a wishing device...you think it, it becomes reality).

now in the comics, cap was on a rocket headed towards america, and he disarmed it above the arctic circle and fell with it into the icy sea. the cold plus the super soldier serum is what put him in suspended animation. also in the comics, bucky also died on a mission at the same time as cap. years after cap wakes up, he and the red skull again fight over the cosmic cube (in the comics this was a created out of nature, not a weapon of asgard) and cap encounters the winter soldier. the winter soldier has a bionic arm to replace the one he was missing and was awoken during the cold war and was their most prized assassin in russia. turns out the winter soldier is none other than bucky, he too was put in suspended animation when he fell to the sea, but aged slower than normal but faster than cap. when cap grabs the cube, he says one thing, remember then wishes it out of existence. the winter soldier then goes into hiding unable to cope with his memories of being a hero and caps side kick (though in actuality bucky did the wet works of the war that cap was not to know about).
once cap is killed in the comics (ok his soul sent back in time) winter soldier takes on the mantle of captain america knowing full well cap would be back.

tl'dr

Okay. Yea I remember Cap's shield being in Iron Man, but not in the first, I just remember that he sees it in the "box of junk" and he literally uses it to prop his equipment up when he's creating that laser that then creates the new element (which turns out to be what'll help heal him and now power his suit).

Although speaking of Howard Stark in CA, that's another thing that didn't seem to gel well with the rest of the universe. That is, in CA he looks like he's no younger than about 30, and it's 1942. And yet, if Tony Stark is roughly at least 35 when we first see him in IM1 in 2009, that doesn't seem to go along well with the age that Howard is in that film clip that Tony finds and watches in IM2. Like he would've had to have been much younger in Capt America. I think I've got my math right on that, anyway. :haha:

edit - oh and also (though this goes strictly into Thor territory, nothing really to do with CA) SHIELD seems like they've been expecting to find the hammer, at least that's the way that scene is played (at the end of IM2, I think?) where Coulson sees it's been found in the desert and radios back ("We've found it"). so if that's the case, I didn't understand why Coulson genuinely wouldn't have a clue as to who Thor is when he first seems him. Those questions he asks Thor when they catch him in the compound built around the hammer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 am 

it was late and i forgot, i believe in the extra scenes of the hulk, he tries to kill himself in antartica and in the background you see the outline of of someone frozen in ice (cap)

as far as coulson saying we found it, it could be seen as them knowing forehand of thor, but i think its more, we found the thing on the radar that just appeared and made a lot of noise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:03 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I'm watching this. Hope it's good but would rather be watching Thor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:25 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

There's that old chestnut again. The amount of pyrotechnics there are is in direct correlation to how awful the film is.

Captain America What a load of wank.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Alright, I watched this last night. I liked it better than Thor, but they both just seem like extended trailers for The Avengers. Someone said, "Hey, before we make an Avengers movie, we need to make movies about all the individual characters. We could make more money that way." ... and it shows.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:22 pm 

¡B! wrote:
Alright, I watched this last night. I liked it better than Thor, but they both just seem like extended trailers for The Avengers. Someone said, "Hey, before we make an Avengers movie, we need to make movies about all the individual characters. We could make more money that way." ... and it shows.

i agree, they did make cap and thor to help make the avengers, but aside from the endings of both movies, i think they stand on their own merit and the fact that they add to the build up only makes them that much better to me

and dime, really a movie with war having explosions, thats utterly unheard of

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment