Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Thor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:49 pm 
AnalLog

The Wolverine movie has to be at the bottom, that was just fucking terrible. Thor was well made, funny and kept me entertained throughout.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:55 pm 
Coast to Coast

Orpheus wrote:
The Wolverine movie has to be at the bottom, that was just fucking terrible. Thor was well made, funny and kept me entertained throughout.

I meant the Marvel-produced movies, not every movie made about a Marvel hero. Even at their worst, these Marvel-produced films are among the best superhero flicks ever made.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:01 am 
AnalLog

So Marvel has its own production company now? I didn't realize that. Those movies do seem to have the same feel so that makes sense. They're a little more glossy and bright than the X-Men/Wolverine movies. Definitely funnier, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:05 am 
Coast to Coast

Orpheus wrote:
So Marvel has its own production company now? I didn't realize that. Those movies do seem to have the same feel so that makes sense. They're a little more glossy and bright than the X-Men/Wolverine movies. Definitely funnier, too.

Yup. The big Marvel properties currently produced by other studios are X-Men, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The Avengers
Iron Man
Captain America
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man II
Thor

but none of them are really worth it. The X-Men movies are much better, and the first two Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies were also better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:38 am 
AnalLog

Eh, they're pretty much on the same level. I like all the Marvel movies better than X-Men and X3, actually.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 am 
Coast to Coast

The Argonaut wrote:
but none of them are really worth it. The X-Men movies are much better, and the first two Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies were also better.

This is so wrong and dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:34 am 
In a van down by the river

theplatypus wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

This is so wrong and dumb.

spiderman 3 never happened....it never happened....it never happened

x3 never happened....never happened...never happened

while i do enjoy these two, set against their two previous movies respectively just kill the franchise outright.

but xmen and x2 are extremely solid as are spidey first two movies. there is no fault at all for enjoying these above the others

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 am 
Coast to Coast

I think these movies (The Avengers and Iron Man in particular) are leaps above the Spidey movies, which I always found a bit hokey. Those movies very much felt like those early Stan Lee / Steve Ditko comic books brought to life; the dialogue was stilted, the drama prosaic, the character designs... well...

Don't get me wrong, they're solid flicks. I kind of like that wide-eyed, unabashedly sunny take on the original stories. Spidey 2 has that awesome train scene. And yes, at the time they were as good as it got for superhero movies. But they fall short when compared to the current crop of flicks. They don't have the wit, the smarts or the technical merits of either Iron Man movie.

The first X-Men movie was good, and X2 is really great, from what I remember. Kind of dark and suitably disjointed. I liked that one a lot. So I won't argue with that.

I was mostly objecting to Argo's "none of them are worth it". That's just plain snobbery. There's a lot of merit to these Marvel films, and it's certainly admirable how they've perfected the popcorn-movie formula and crafted the quintessential superhero movie, effectively navigating the line between pathos and spectacle without getting too ponderous or falling into the harebrained "oo, explosions!" bullshit that the Transformers franchise is fraught with. And always with a huge dose of humor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:33 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
I think these movies (The Avengers and Iron Man in particular) are leaps above the Spidey movies, which I always found a bit hokey. Those movies very much felt like those early Stan Lee / Steve Ditko comic books brought to life; the dialogue was stilted, the drama prosaic, the character designs... well...

Don't get me wrong, they're solid flicks. I kind of like that wide-eyed, unabashedly sunny take on the original stories. Spidey 2 has that awesome train scene. And yes, at the time they were as good as it got for superhero movies. But they fall short when compared to the current crop of flicks. They don't have the wit, the smarts or the technical merits of either Iron Man movie.

The first X-Men movie was good, and X2 is really great, from what I remember. Kind of dark and suitably disjointed. I liked that one a lot. So I won't argue with that.

I was mostly objecting to Argo's "none of them are worth it". That's just plain snobbery. There's a lot of merit to these Marvel films, and it's certainly admirable how they've perfected the popcorn-movie formula and crafted the quintessential superhero movie, effectively navigating the line between pathos and spectacle without getting too ponderous or falling into the harebrained "oo, explosions!" bullshit that the Transformers franchise is fraught with. And always with a huge dose of humor.

i completely agree that the movies are well crafted as a whole (spideys) and loved seeing parker discover his powers. the mere physics of watching him swing through the air was heart-stopping for a comics geek (self admitted) as was seeing wolverine in the cage fighting.

i wont say they dont hold up, it is just a different movie mind set now. DC did a great job of upping the ante with the batman films, nothing super powered about those so movies with superpowers have to take a different tone.

from what i have seen, the new spiderman movie really captures the nervous banter that spiderman is known for. so that may raise it a few notches.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Peeps wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

i completely agree that the movies are well crafted as a whole (spideys) and loved seeing parker discover his powers. the mere physics of watching him swing through the air was heart-stopping for a comics geek (self admitted) as was seeing wolverine in the cage fighting.

i wont say they dont hold up, it is just a different movie mind set now. DC did a great job of upping the ante with the batman films, nothing super powered about those so movies with superpowers have to take a different tone.

from what i have seen, the new spiderman movie really captures the nervous banter that spiderman is known for. so that may raise it a few notches.

For me:

Avengers
Iron man
Captain America
Iron man 2
Thor
Hulk ( both)

From the sony films:

Xmen 2
Xmen
Spiderman 2
Spiderman
Xmen 3
Spiderman 3

Both x men and spider man 3 were awful, really bad...but x men 2 was very good. The Marvel movies are better, even the Hulk movies were they failed to get the character as they did get it in avengers.
i dont think the new spidey movie will be good...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:03 pm 
Supersonic

X2 and Spider-Man 2 are among the best Superhero movies I've ever seen. I'd also throw Iron Man up there. I haven't seen Avengers (of is it The Avengers? Or is it Avengers Assemble? Or is it The Avengers Assemble?), so I can't comment on that one. Nor Thor.

But I think all three X-Men movies and the first two Spider-Man movies are better than The Incredible Hulk. And I wanted to like that thing soooooooooooo badly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 pm 
Unthought Known

I thought this was all right, not really having known anything about Thor before seeing it. It was much more impressive than Captain America. I kind of thought that was shit.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:17 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

By "none of them are worth it," I meant that none of them are worth the time it takes to watch them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:30 am 
Coast to Coast

The Argonaut wrote:
By "none of them are worth it," I meant that none of them are worth the time it takes to watch them.

Still wrong and dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:52 am 

durdencommatyler wrote:
X2 and Spider-Man 2 are among the best Superhero movies I've ever seen. I'd also throw Iron Man up there. I haven't seen Avengers (of is it The Avengers? Or is it Avengers Assemble? Or is it The Avengers Assemble?), so I can't comment on that one. Nor Thor.

But I think all three X-Men movies and the first two Spider-Man movies are better than The Incredible Hulk. And I wanted to like that thing soooooooooooo badly.

X2 could have my little ponies vs the littles in it and the wolverine berserker scene would nullify all the rest and still make it awesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm 
On the bright side

The Argonaut wrote:

So every movie you see has to be of Oscar quality? Is that what you are saying? I'm kind of confused. All the individual Avengers movies were really great action flicks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:38 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

You guys are really selling the Ghost Rider and Green Lantern franchises short.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:17 pm 
The Snowboy

So, this movie really made waves, huh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:03 pm 
Supersonic

Big, big waves?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment