PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:34 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
spenno wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:
4 pills of Black Sabbath

I'll have what he's having!

I'm thinking about getting rid of all of my CDs and records - selling what I know is worth anything and donating the rest. It seems like a hefty undertaking but I'd love the amount of space I'd get back.

Music definitely does not feel as precious as it used to 15 years ago. No one really cares about artwork or liner notes anymore. Its sad, and I agree about the space, but I don't like the idea of having all of my music on an iPod with no discs or records lying around as a backup. I'm surrounded by CDs right now. If they weren't sitting there in cases or stacked on shelves, I'd notice. A modest amount of clutter is OK when it comes to the albums you love.

I'm getting ready to move a sizeable chunk of my CD collection into binders. I guess there's not a lot of difference btw that and just having digital copies. I guess I hold out hope that the CDs will return to a shelf eventually when I get these fucking kids out of my house.

Post subject: Re: CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:29 pm 
Master of Meh

Keeping some originals in a binder is actually a pretty good idea.

Over the last year or two, I've become increasingly comfortable with the idea of all my music being digital - all the music in my iTunes (and on my iPod) is 16-bit or 24-bit Apple Lossless, really, what am I missing out by getting rid of CDs? I've always been the kind of person to care more about the musical content than the packaging.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:39 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
spenno wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:
Music definitely does not feel as precious as it used to 15 years ago. No one really cares about artwork or liner notes anymore.

It does to me. Probably as much as the songs on the record. Sad but true.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 pm 
Master of Meh

randallanddarcy wrote:
Music definitely does not feel as precious as it used to 15 years ago. No one really cares about artwork or liner notes anymore.

I think it's worth mentioning that music itself means more to me than it ever does - things like artwork, packaging, etc. are peripheral at best.

I would happily just have FLAC downloads of music I like, that doesn't mean music itself means less to me - far from it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:

I think it's worth mentioning that music itself means more to me than it ever does - things like artwork, packaging, etc. are peripheral at best.

I would happily just have FLAC downloads of music I like, that doesn't mean music itself means less to me - far from it.

I understand everyone's point of view on this.
Consider this: 24 bit WAV files released by the artist vs. a CD of the same tracks released by the artist. I KNOW that 24 bit WAV files are higher quality than the 16 bit CD, but because the artist has released the CD with the artwork/liner notes/lyrics/other packaging, I would rather have the CD than the 24 bit WAV files. WAV files are, like, in the air, whereas a CD/tape/LP feels like you own something. The fact that you don't own the music at all (the copyright holder does) is neither here nor there.

This line of thinking makes no logical sense, of course, but it's just how I feel about it. I suspect a lot of folk of my generation do, too.

The ultimate would be to buy the physical release, and buy the 24 bit WAV's, and just keep the WAVs in my archives until I reach a point where my travelling is done and I settle down and have a system that'll really bring the benefits out in 24 bit WAV's. Once I'm at that point, though, I'd still keep my physical releases.

Shawn Smith: 1 in 2008

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment