Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: TV: Girls
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm 
Unthought Known

The season premier is this weekend. I can't wait.

Post subject: Re: TV: Girls
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm 
Unthought Known

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... s-hbo.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:16 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

This might be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:18 am 
statistically insignificant

i can't help but wonder just how terrified this thread makes lennytheweedwhacker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

What did anyone think of Tiny Furniture? The reviews were good, I appreciate that it's from a young director, and Netflix's algorithm thinks I'd love it. But the basic premise of the movie as I understand it (fresh out-of-college aspiring artist acts like an entitled adolescent in her mother's house) seems so goddamn insufferable that I just have not been able to convince myself to watch it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:02 am 
Very Nice girl....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 pm 
Supersonic

The Argonaut wrote:
What did anyone think of Tiny Furniture? The reviews were good, I appreciate that it's from a young director, and Netflix's algorithm thinks I'd love it. But the basic premise of the movie as I understand it (fresh out-of-college aspiring artist acts like an entitled adolescent in her mother's house) seems so goddamn insufferable that I just have not been able to convince myself to watch it.

it really comes down to how you handle Dev posts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 pm 
Supersonic

for example, how does this one strike you?

Dev wrote:
one of my friends walked over a cliff and died geocaching

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:58 pm 
Supersonic

Is there nudity in this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:26 am 
Got Some

3 episodes in and this show is hilarious. i've laughed hard during every episode. the lead chick is the most perfectly cast character i've seen in a long time. i look forward to this show on sunday nights as much as i look forward to game of thones.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm 
Reissued

From what I can surmise on the internet, if you like this show then you hate black people

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:54 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
From what I can surmise on the internet, if you like this show then you hate black people

the lead is pretty much a female mickey

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:53 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:

I actually read some of this criticism and I gotta say, do none of these people realize that this show was based on Lena Dunhams experiences? Some people, especially entitled middle class white people don't have what one would call a diverse circle of friends.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I actually read some of this criticism and I gotta say, do none of these people realize that this show was based on Lena Dunhams experiences? Some people, especially entitled middle class white people don't have what one would call a diverse circle of friends.

I read the criticisms too (entitlement, white, upper class, etc.), and while true they don't make the show less funny. Even though these girls are all over-privileged and white, they're kind of shitty people (except the virgin chick), which makes it a lot easier to laugh at them in their "bad," but more realistically stupid situations. We are not supposed to be sympathizing with these characters, we are supposed to be laughing at them.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

bondcfh007 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I read the criticisms too (entitlement, white, upper class, etc.), and while true they don't make the show less funny. Even though these girls are all over-privileged and white, they're kind of shitty people (except the virgin chick), which makes it a lot easier to laugh at them in their "bad," but more realistically stupid situations. We are not supposed to be sympathizing with these characters, we are supposed to be laughing at them.

I actually hate everything about Jessa and Marnie. Shoshana feels like the most real character to me. I don't really ever laugh out loud at this show, but I find it amusing in the "look at these shitty people" sense.

While the criticisms may be true, I don't feel they are valid for my aforementioned reasons. It is based on her experiences or so I've read. It is wrong of people to tell her that she is telling her story wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 am 
Stone's Bitch

Dunham *claims* to actually be virgin, and the only similarities she has with Hannah is her listlessness and her lack of purpose common to many young urbanites. I don't know. I'm male, and - to a certain extent - I identify with these characters. This is highly problematic.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:53 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
bondcfh007 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I actually hate everything about Jessa and Marnie. Shoshana feels like the most real character to me. I don't really ever laugh out loud at this show, but I find it amusing in the "look at these shitty people" sense.

While the criticisms may be true, I don't feel they are valid for my aforementioned reasons. It is based on her experiences or so I've read. It is wrong of people to tell her that she is telling her story wrong.

I hate Jessa and Marnie, too, especially Jessa. She's just a selfish, self-absorbed cunt. Marnie is super hot though, so she sucks slightly less. I wish they'd spend more time on Shoshana, since she seems to be the only non-horrible girl in this show. I thought the last episode was pretty light on laughs, and Hannah's relationship with weirdo guy is getting pretty tired.

I did laugh out loud quite a bit during the abortion/stuff on the sides of condoms episode. I'll keep watching, but there needs to be some character redemption at some point for at least one of these characters.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:44 pm 
Reissued

Mecca wrote:
bondcfh007 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Mickey wrote:

It's also sort of a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. She doesn't have any black characters so the show is racist/bigoted/at the very least, limited. But since, as you said, she's writing about her experiences as a white girl, if she did have black characters, do we really think they'd be complex portraits of what it's like to be a minority in America? More likely, she'd get slammed for writing outside of what she knows. I just think it's ridiculous. Lord knows TV could use some diversity, but that's the job of the network execs to greenlight shows that are diverse or forward-thinking. The writer's job is just to make a good show. To expect Girls to be some sort of paragon of racial enlightenment is absurd--just as absurd as the fact that "New Girl" got a free pass for having a token black character who's more or less gentrified and doesn't really contribute anything diverse other than his skin tone.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:27 pm 
Supersonic

This show essentially epitomizes everything that is wrong with American society. A bunch of post college grads, who think they're the smartest, brightest, most intellectual things since sliced bread, thinking they'll make it big, trying to leach off of someone until they make it big, all the while doing drugs, fucking irresponsibly, and losing themselves in their own self-flagellation.

In what episode do they all end up going down to protest in Zuccotti Park to get their college loans repaid and employers to give them fair wages and universal healthcare.

Hilariously terrible show. It's on the same level as TerraNova.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:48 pm 
Reissued

I agree about the characters, but I don't think the fact that they're shitty people makes the show terrible.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment