Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
spenno wrote:
washing machine wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
If I got a Kindle it would be the Fire HD. Why not have it do other shit too?

That would just turn it into another distraction for me.

Exactly.

If I want to browse the web or check emails, I have my phone.

When I'm reading, I just want to read. The new Kindles don't even have audio anymore, but that's fine by me.

I'd rather have something to do one thing really well than a whole bunch of stuff only moderately well, y'know?

Oh, I know alright.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
Re: chud

I don't know, I haven't done a direct comparison - but if it's anything like reading text from the Kindle app on my iPhone, I can't imagine it would be that great over an hour or two of dedicated reading.

The Kindle displays are meant to be much more like reading a physical book - plus there's the lack of distractions from other functions, which appeals to me (though perhaps not everyone). Maybe one of our proud Kindle owners can chime in on this point.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
I read for a few hours this morning with my kindle app on my phone. It didn't seem to bother me, especially with the screen slightly dimmed.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
spenno wrote:
The Kindle displays are meant to be much more like reading a physical book - plus there's the lack of distractions from other functions, which appeals to me (though perhaps not everyone). Maybe one of our proud Kindle owners can chime in on this point.

i can be a bit of a technophobe, but it's to the point now that i prefer reading on my kindle to reading a book. fatigue is a non-issue.

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
thodoks wrote:
spenno wrote:
The Kindle displays are meant to be much more like reading a physical book - plus there's the lack of distractions from other functions, which appeals to me (though perhaps not everyone). Maybe one of our proud Kindle owners can chime in on this point.

i can be a bit of a technophobe, but it's to the point now that i prefer reading on my kindle to reading a book

I sincerely hope I'll shortly be able to make a similar declaration.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
You know, after reading about the screen technology I'm starting to be sold on the dedicated e-reader Kindle as opposed to the Fire.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Last edited by thodoks on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 am
Posts: 2465
Location: A dark place
I have only just started using it for reading books, but the Nexus 7 has been great so far...

_________________
Do you like crappy amateur photography? Check out my photo blog here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

I've never considered that. Huh.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 am
Posts: 4009
Location: S. Florida
Gender: Female
Jack Gilbert--collected poems
Bob Hicok--This Clumsy Living
Daniel hall-Hermit with Landscape

_________________
Can you feel the magic?
Oh, yeah


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
i mean, books can be unwieldy and uncooperative, you know?

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:00 am 
Offline
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:09 pm
Posts: 9363
Location: Manhattan Beach California
washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

I've never considered that. Huh.


play that paul chambers album i posted for you in jazz


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

I've never considered that. Huh.


play that paul chambers album i posted for you in jazz

I was wary of clicking that link. Looked like a virus. :?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:02 am 
Offline
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:09 pm
Posts: 9363
Location: Manhattan Beach California
washing machine wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

I've never considered that. Huh.


play that paul chambers album i posted for you in jazz

I was wary of clicking that link. Looked like a virus. :?


sit back with brown liquor and listen


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 am
Posts: 4009
Location: S. Florida
Gender: Female
thodoks wrote:
i mean, books can be unwieldy and uncooperative, you know?


books are just crazy these days.

_________________
Can you feel the magic?
Oh, yeah


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

I've never considered that. Huh.

on another note, i find that saying something or making a point a conversant had never heard or considered to be one of life's most pleasant experiences

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

I've never considered that. Huh.

on another note, i find that saying something or making a point a conversant had never heard or considered to be one of life's most pleasant experiences

Fucking of course you do.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
cutuphalfdead wrote:
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
What is it about the kindle experience that makes you prefer it over a book, thodoks?

i find i'm much more able to be comfortable when i read the kindle because, unlike a book, i don't have to accommodate physical demands other than those of my own...that is, i can go hands-free or lean back in a chair, or whatever. it's just much easier to get to a place where i don't have to consider anything beyond whether the battery is charged, a good jazz record is on, and i have the proper beverage to accompany the proceedings

I've never considered that. Huh.

on another note, i find that saying something or making a point a conversant had never heard or considered to be one of life's most pleasant experiences

Fucking of course you do.

it takes a big man to slag another on the internet

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What books have you recently acquired?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
What's the latest that you guys have ever stayed up with a book?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:48 am