Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: CHIENDENT (a thread for my songs)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:14 am 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

mastaflatch wrote:
DÉRAISON

this is my latest tune - obviously it's not for the next LP. i wrote it last week because next wednesday i have a little solo gig and the promoter wanted a solo song from me so he booked me a little session in a studio last friday. i spent all of last weeks' nights writing lyrics and music that resulted in about 4 different song scenarios and i picked this one as the best. it's demo-quality but it's been arranged, recorded, mixed and mastered within 2 hours. (and it was on the radio three days later)

I like this. And it was on the radio? Congrats! So can we get these songs as mp3's to keep and listen to? Have you released an LP before?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:04 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

thanks for listening, SSK! i don't know much about Les Négresses Vertes - i should look it up i guess.
we released a cd in 2004 which was more folksy than what we do now, probably due to the fact that there was another singer-songwriter with us at that time. it did ok on the underground radio stations network here and we've got nice reviews from major medias as well but we failed to have a promotionnal budget :mrgreen: so it didn't sell impressively. at least, we already have a video for the next one.
we also released a few songs on various compilations that fared even better. one of them got airplay on commercial stations and another prompted people to invite us to play on Musique Plus (Quebec's mtv) twice. i can't wait for new the album to be released :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:08 pm 

mastaflatch wrote:
thanks for listening, SSK! i don't know much about Les Négresses Vertes - i should look it up i guess.
we released a cd in 2004 which was more folksy than what we do now, probably due to the fact that there was another singer-songwriter with us at that time. it did ok on the underground radio stations network here and we've got nice reviews from major medias as well but we failed to have a promotionnal budget :mrgreen: so it didn't sell impressively. at least, we already have a video for the next one.
we also released a few songs on various compilations that fared even better. one of them got airplay on commercial stations and another prompted people to invite us to play on Musique Plus (Quebec's mtv) twice. i can't wait for new the album to be released :)

Very, very cool. :thumbsup: Well, I hope this does really well. When will it be available? I guess I should check your myspace. :P

Here is Les Negresses Vertes lastfm page: http://www.last.fm/music/Les+N%C3%A9gresses+Vertes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:20 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

hey there!
i have a little solo gig tonight in quebec city that will be streaming online at:
http://jazzzmedia.com/radio/
not sure how it will sound and unfortunately, i won't be home to listen to it :)
it's on by 8pm eastern time i guess :peace:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:22 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

well?
:fail:
anyway, that was a wild night! the gig went on greatly - the audience was respectful and paid attention to the lyrics (they laughed at the right places :mrgreen: ) and it went by very fast.
after the open mike thing, by 11, a girl i haven't seen for a long time who was there was kind of sad i hadn't have the time to go back onstage to play a pearl jam cover so we walked to my neighbourhood in another open mic night. i have to say that my (married) friend is very hot and it was kind of weird how the guys there changed their behaviour around her (mostly the drunk ones). anyway i went onstage with a buddy of mine who's into PJ too. we played Sometimes, Indifference, the Beatles' Yer Blues and Oh! Darling which were pretty soothing for me - i felt like screaming :)
we went home after that and i played Crazy Mary and Off He Goes to her, by special request and i paid her a cab ride home. good times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:30 pm 

Sorry. I was getting ready for my trip to see Springsteen, so I missed out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:42 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

MINIVAN

that's probably the almost final mix :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:55 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

CHIEN BATTU

:bammer:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 am 
Supersonic

Dig it. Your band always sounds like Serge Gainsbourgh soundtracking a rape or something. A little disturbing, if it wasn't so bouncy.

Your rhythm section deserves a lot of credit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:14 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
Dig it. Your band always sounds like Serge Gainsbourgh soundtracking a rape or something.

:shock: i always felt that Gainsbourg was way more sexually deviant than us...that's a very weird analogy - i don't know what to make of it...

Quote:

i agree with that :thumbsup:
these guys are awesome; i couln't ask for better musicians for these songs, and we're good friends as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mastaflatch wrote:
well?
:fail:
anyway, that was a wild night! the gig went on greatly - the audience was respectful and paid attention to the lyrics (they laughed at the right places :mrgreen: ) and it went by very fast.
after the open mike thing, by 11, a girl i haven't seen for a long time who was there was kind of sad i hadn't have the time to go back onstage to play a pearl jam cover so we walked to my neighbourhood in another open mic night. i have to say that my (married) friend is very hot and it was kind of weird how the guys there changed their behaviour around her (mostly the drunk ones). anyway i went onstage with a buddy of mine who's into PJ too. we played Sometimes, Indifference, the Beatles' Yer Blues and Oh! Darling which were pretty soothing for me - i felt like screaming :)
we went home after that and i played Crazy Mary and Off He Goes to her, by special request and i paid her a cab ride home. good times.

I've been out of touch with this thread for a while, but fuck would i have liked to have seen those covers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:44 pm 
Supersonic

mastaflatch wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Dig it. Your band always sounds like Serge Gainsbourgh soundtracking a rape or something.

:shock: i always felt that Gainsbourg was way more sexually deviant than us...that's a very weird analogy - i don't know what to make of it...

Well, without knowing lyrics, I'm only speaking about the sound of it. And of course the Serginator sounded filthy even if you didn't know what he was saying, where yours is, shall we say, subtler? You've got a very distinct sound going, and it's stellar.

Quote:
Quote:

i agree with that :thumbsup:
these guys are awesome; i couln't ask for better musicians for these songs, and we're good friends as well.

Yeah, they really drive this thing. Like, they could take it up a hill and across a bridge and still have a full tank. I'm jealous.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:30 am 

mastaflatch wrote:
CHIEN BATTU

:bammer:

I dig this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:23 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

here's an old 4-tracks demo (from 2002 maybe?) that Chiendent's drummer put some orchestration on two years ago. my take was actually just ok for a demo but i think the arrangements are really great.
i wrote this on a shitty blueberry picking trip, supposed to bring back lotsa money from the "blue klondike" for my family but that year was particularly bad...

CHEAPO DIABLO

Last edited by mastaflatch on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:35 pm 
Unthought Known

I was excited to hear these, but all they did was buffer. I was able to play stuff in other threads. I'll check back.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:42 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Self Polluted wrote:
I was excited to hear these, but all they did was buffer. I was able to play stuff in other threads. I'll check back.

i just tested them and they work although you have to wait a while before they start. a few weeks back this happened and it worked after i refreshed the page.
hope you get to hear them and give a feedback :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:19 pm 
Unthought Known

I was able to listen at http://www.musicwebtown.com/mastaflatch

Derasion is quite an emotive piece, great harmonies throughout.

Pudpain kinda felt a little like Weezer in spots, the open and chorus. The drummer and bassist are tight. Great slide work for the solo with kickass feedback at the end of it.

Miss has a battle Of Evermore thing going for it. The chromatic feel in spots during the chorus is a really nice touch. Again, great harmonies.

Le Livre made me want to do a shot of tequila. :o

Simili Salami has really good guitar melodies going. That's what stood out most for me on this one.

Arabika sounded like a jam session.

Narcisse opens up with a cool bass line. Dirty funk song you got there.

I was ready to call Chien Battu a DMB ripoff. That woulda been really wrong. Cool tune, my fave after one time thru.

Minivan is a damn close second behind Battu. I loved how dynamic it was. Just when I thought I knew where it was going, it went in another direction. Cool.

Really liked the piano and strings in Cheapo Diablo. Moody little song that would suit me just fine as a closer to any record.

Really good stuff masta.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

i just checked out your music video in your sig, awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:57 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Self Polluted wrote:
I was able to listen at http://www.musicwebtown.com/mastaflatch

Derasion is quite an emotive piece, great harmonies throughout.

Pudpain kinda felt a little like Weezer in spots, the open and chorus. The drummer and bassist are tight. Great slide work for the solo with kickass feedback at the end of it.

Miss has a battle Of Evermore thing going for it. The chromatic feel in spots during the chorus is a really nice touch. Again, great harmonies.

Le Livre made me want to do a shot of tequila. :o

Simili Salami has really good guitar melodies going. That's what stood out most for me on this one.

Arabika sounded like a jam session.

Narcisse opens up with a cool bass line. Dirty funk song you got there.

I was ready to call Chien Battu a DMB ripoff. That woulda been really wrong. Cool tune, my fave after one time thru.

Minivan is a damn close second behind Battu. I loved how dynamic it was. Just when I thought I knew where it was going, it went in another direction. Cool.

Really liked the piano and strings in Cheapo Diablo. Moody little song that would suit me just fine as a closer to any record.

Really good stuff masta.

thanks Self-Polluted! i like this kind of song by song breakdown thing! and your comments are very positive - which doesn't hurt at all. feel free to make constructive crictism though - some songs there (musicwebtown) are barely demoed.

i'll explain some background stuff concerning some songs you listened to (that i didn't post in this thread yet):

Miss Meteo: this is maybe the last one we recorded for our next album and i had a very clear idea of what i wanted. the double-tracked guitars, the muffled vocals, the bass pedals, the percussions - we made the sound at the beginning of the hi-hat section by turning a bicycle upside down, spinning the back wheel and putting a screwdriver on the rays. i really like this one and i can't wait to mix it (it will be an easy one). kudos to Greg (the bassist) who plays a terrific banjo track on this one.

Why did Le Livre make you want to do a shot of tequila?? :lol:

Arabika isn't a jam session or a proper song either. i was alone at the studio one night and i decided i'd record something so i made a riff up, sounding a bit arabic, and then i began to overdub stuff - it was just good fun and totally off-beat. it could be a good starting idea for a song but anyways i just had a few hours of great fun playing drums and bass etc. the sound at the very end is the sound we heard when we went outside our place at night. frogs. there was a big pond just behind the house so i muddled it with feedback i made by going back and forth my amp with a microphone.

Le Mutant De Narcisse is a demo i made in 2002 i guess. my voice is often out of tune on this one because i couln't rehearse it porperly in my appartment at the time and was still usure about how it should be sung. i played bass and guitar on this one and Jo (chiendent's drummer) took the tape back to his place and recorded all these trippy percussions. we may do this live sometime soon.

thanks again for your reviews!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:01 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

windedsailor wrote:
i just checked out your music video in your sig, awesome.

thanks! here it is:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release