Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Scenic Photography by RMer's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:10 pm 
Got Some

turned2black wrote:
Bought a DSLR.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... t_sx500_is

It's at Costco with a bag and 8GB SD card for $250 (normally $330). No CMOS sensor, but it should be more than enough for me. My sub-compact is a Canon, so I'll be fairly familiar with the settings. I did a quick search for reviews and almost all were very positive.

This camera (PowerShot SX500 IS) is beyond terrible. My 4-year-old sub-compact produces better pics.
Luckily, Costco has a great return policy. I'm gonna spend $100 more and get a Canon G15 instead.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

turned2black wrote:
turned2black wrote:
Bought a DSLR.

It's at Costco with a bag and 8GB SD card for $250 (normally $330). No CMOS sensor, but it should be more than enough for me. My sub-compact is a Canon, so I'll be fairly familiar with the settings. I did a quick search for reviews and almost all were very positive.

This camera (PowerShot SX500 IS) is beyond terrible. My 4-year-old sub-compact produces better pics.
Luckily, Costco has a great return policy. I'm gonna spend $100 more and get a Canon G15 instead.

this is a smart move. the G series cameras are fantastic. i've been looking to pick one up for my wife if i can get one for the right price.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 pm 
Got Some

MF wrote:
turned2black wrote:
turned2black wrote:
Bought a DSLR.

this is a smart move. the G series cameras are fantastic. i've been looking to pick one up for my wife if i can get one for the right price.

I'm hoping this camera will help me not suck as much, then in a few years I'll get a DSLR. I think the viewfinder will help me get better at framing shots.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

turned2black wrote:
MF wrote:
turned2black wrote:
turned2black wrote:
Bought a DSLR.

I'm hoping this camera will help me not suck as much, then in a few years I'll get a DSLR. I think the viewfinder will help me get better at framing shots.

Good photography is in the hands of the shooter (subject matter/framing/anglTes/lighting/etc) and this forum is full of evidence that even a cell phone camera can get fantastic results. The canon g series is great because you get a lot of individual control over your manual settings and they are easy to access on the fly rather than being buried in a menu. It's also great because it's small and often times the best camera is the one you're able to carry with you at all times.

Once you get into DSLR territory you do so because you want the additional control over your work that a small arsenal of lenses can offer. Then you start getting into some big money haha. That canon is a great place to start. When youre ready to upgrade An entry level DSLR like the Nikon d3200 (or the equivalent canon) with the stock 18-55mm and a 55-200 or 55-300 would cover most of your needs as well...you can usually find bundles for a pretty reasonable amount. I see one at Costco for under $800.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release