Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Writing in general
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

griffinxi wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

The best poems are those that evoke some type of feeling, no matter HOW its done. Poems should "hit" ya, somehow.
I can't believe the enjoyment I now get from reading poems.
and writing them too.

Everybody's hesitant to post their poems here because then they can't be published elsewhere. Well, I mean Harmless and Mickey, but they are accomplished publishees.

I would be glad to read one of your poems if you want to post it or PM.

I'm not a critic, but I do enjoy reading

I won't post any unpublished poetry here, but here's one short of mine for interested parties:

http://www.juked.com/2006/09/temper.asp

That must have been well-written because I enjoyed the story so much, I hardly noticed the writing--and that's good, if that makes any sense.

...you didn't look back... "for effect" :haha:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 pm 
Johnny Guitar

knee tunes wrote:
griffinxi wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

The best poems are those that evoke some type of feeling, no matter HOW its done. Poems should "hit" ya, somehow.
I can't believe the enjoyment I now get from reading poems.
and writing them too.

Everybody's hesitant to post their poems here because then they can't be published elsewhere. Well, I mean Harmless and Mickey, but they are accomplished publishees.

I would be glad to read one of your poems if you want to post it or PM.

I'm not a critic, but I do enjoy reading

I won't post any unpublished poetry here, but here's one short of mine for interested parties:

http://www.juked.com/2006/09/temper.asp

That must have been well-written because I enjoyed the story so much, I hardly noticed the writing--and that's good, if that makes any sense.

...you didn't look back... "for effect" :haha:

Glad you enjoyed! :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:19 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:

Wow, Harmless....I'm proud to know you :)

I loved the line or two about pirate/boy/athlete. how that went was very cool..

To me, the quarter final sounds so unlike the rest of it, like it was coming from a different place or something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am 
The Snowboy

knee tunes wrote:
Harmless wrote:

To me, the quarter final sounds so unlike the rest of it, like it was coming from a different place or something.

Cheers dude :thumbsup:

Yeah, it is different, for a couple of reasons really. I thought of these pieces as a sequence of loose sonnets, rather than one poem. So I wasn't too worried if they were different in tone, more what they added up to together. Secondly, that section happens at a point where the Paralympics (in the chronology of the poems) have just started. So it's deliberately a bit more cheesy, soundbitey, based around the sport and all the inspirational feel-good rhetoric you get thrown at you by your TV screens. The build-up (preliminaries) I hope has a bit more realism than the rest of it, which start to get a little satirical (well, it's all satirical really).

Think of that section as the bridge in the song, if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Harmless wrote:

Yeah, it is different, for a couple of reasons really. I thought of these pieces as a sequence of loose sonnets, rather than one poem. So I wasn't too worried if they were different in tone, more what they added up to together. Secondly, that section happens at a point where the Paralympics (in the chronology of the poems) have just started. So it's deliberately a bit more cheesy, soundbitey, based around the sport and all the inspirational feel-good rhetoric you get thrown at you by your TV screens. The build-up (preliminaries) I hope has a bit more realism than the rest of it, which start to get a little satirical (well, it's all satirical really).

I'm a chick by the way, Mr.

to me the poem sounds like it was written in the evening/nighttime but that "bridge" part was written when you first got up in the morning. or something

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

writing is nice like spice,
not like rice,
just like spice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:39 am 
The Snowboy

knee tunes wrote:
Harmless wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Harmless wrote:

I'm a chick by the way, Mr.

to me the poem sounds like it was written in the evening/nighttime but that "bridge" part was written when you first got up in the morning. or something

Sorry! How did I not know this? This is the only reason I hate forums.

Hmm.. I don't remember when I started any of these sections but they all took a few months.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I'm having way too much fun with this story I'm writing. I usually get too caught up on rewriting and setting the scene and never end up finishing anything I start. So with this one, my goal is to just get to the end, then go back and tie things up. I don't have much time to write but I've been adding to it about once a week. I shared it on Google Drive with Simple Torture, if anyone else wants to take a look at it and add some comments, shoot me your email.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 am 
Stone's Bitch

Again, I feel shitty for not having read that yet. Soon, though. The semester's over in like a week and a half, then I will sit down with that and a hot cocoa.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Again, I feel shitty for not having read that yet. Soon, though. The semester's over in like a week and a half, then I will sit down with that and a hot cocoa.

Don't spill that hot cocoa on your lap when you're blown away by how awesome it is! (I promise I don't use as many exclamation points in my writing as I do in my posting.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 am 
Stone's Bitch

I used two exclamation points in a pretty important e-mail today and thought, "My God, what have I done?!?!"

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:58 am 
Reissued

I'm interesting in subverting the exclamation point as a performative nonce so I use them thrice daily

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:05 pm 
The Snowboy

I submitted my new chapbook manuscript today. Fingers crossed, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:56 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

eh!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

With a little luck, snowboy will become man. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:39 pm 
The Snowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:12 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:

what happened

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Hey do any of you write every day? Or almost every day? I have been told by nearly every serious write to write for at least two hours every day I can (or at least five days per week). Or is it different for poet-types?

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:26 pm 
Johnny Guitar

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Hey do any of you write every day? Or almost every day? I have been told by nearly every serious write to write for at least two hours every day I can (or at least five days per week). Or is it different for poet-types?

I definitely try to avoid writing every day.

Usually I get something on paper, though. Even if it's ten successful minutes, I'm thrilled. Usually it's like exploring a briar patch-- two hours would be an incredible stretch of fortitude for me. If I'm completely uninspired I'll do some free writing exercises or something to try and turn the gears, and if I come away with a few exciting ideas I consider that a victory.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm 
Unthought Known

griffinxi wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

I definitely try to avoid writing every day.

Usually I get something on paper, though. Even if it's ten successful minutes, I'm thrilled. Usually it's like exploring a briar patch-- two hours would be an incredible stretch of fortitude for me. If I'm completely uninspired I'll do some free writing exercises or something to try and turn the gears, and if I come away with a few exciting ideas I consider that a victory.

For me the greatest difficulty with writing is getting started. It's almost like getting ready to work out. In the same way I do stretches before I work out, I have to do stretches mentally before writing, because I know it will take a lot of energy out of me. But when you're actually involved in the reading and writing, it's like a trance, and I don't recall being in the moment.

Time of a day matters to me. I need to go to bed around 9 or 10 pm and get up at 3am and make coffee. When everyone is asleep and I'm awake that's the best time for me. But it of course varies for people.

What sucks? When you're drunk with an idea and write it out, only to read it the next day and realize that it's fucking awful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release