Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Writing in general
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:50 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mickey wrote:

"Michael Martin Shea's "Rough Draft of a Poem About Heartbeats" is a creepy, violent poems that ends with a chill: "Think of her neck as a part of a body that can never taste itself," said somebody online about your poem. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:41 am 
Reissued

Thanks y'all! I read that blog review in the spring--first time I've ever been publicly critiqued. The anthology comes out in November so I can post the poem then. Pretty excited, didn't expect this when I applied on a whim.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 pm 
The Snowboy

Mickey wrote:
Thanks y'all! I read that blog review in the spring--first time I've ever been publicly critiqued. The anthology comes out in November so I can post the poem then. Pretty excited, didn't expect this when I applied on a whim.

Can you post a link to where we can buy the anthology when it's out?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:05 am 
Reissued

Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Can you post a link to where we can buy the anthology when it's out?

Will do. It'll be on Amazon and (I think) in Barnes and Noble? But maybe only special B&Ns.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm 
Unthought Known

Congrats Mike, that's great news!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:30 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I don't check this thread as much as I should, so I'm sorry for the delay. Congrats Mickey!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:47 pm 
Unthought Known

Congrats, you pretentious prick.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:37 pm 
Reissued

Thanks everyone. I've also been pontificating on poetry, like a douche, all cross the internet, if anyone (read: Harmless) is interested:

http://thejournalmag.org/archives/3075

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mickey wrote:
Thanks everyone. I've also been pontificating on poetry, like a douche, all cross the internet, if anyone (read: Harmless) is interested:

IMO, free-verse poetry is true.
non-free-verse poetry is practice in word play like bookworm or scrabble. It's too defined and confined.
One might be forced to forego the most poignant and eloquent way of saying something on account of syllables. That ain't right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mickey wrote:

Great read, Mickey. I'm not educated enough in the field of poetry to have any real opinion on the subject matter but I certainly had no trouble making it through your piece regardless. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
The Snowboy

knee tunes wrote:
Mickey wrote:

non-free-verse poetry is practice in word play like bookworm or scrabble. It's too defined and confined.
One might be forced to forego the most poignant and eloquent way of saying something on account of syllables. That ain't right.

Free verse doesn't mean 'free form' like so many think it does, it just means free of pre-determined (or received) form. I would say a knowledge of form and meter is essential for any good poet, and every poem should have structure. Also, having to obey the rules of a form can often force you into different, and more interesting, territory than free verse. You're forced to go beyond your first ideas. Like, a bad sonnet or a bad haiku is... bad, and we've seen a lot of them. But to write a very good one is difficult, so if you do it, that sonnet or haiku could be fantastic. Basically nothing is original unless the artist feels challenged. But everything has rules. Good songs, or good anything, build on what's been done before. Just an alternative view.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:29 pm 
The Snowboy

Mickey wrote:

How'd I miss this? OK, reading now.

Edit: great article, this. If I understood you right, one of the things you're saying is that the either / or attitude-clash between the New Formalism and Free Verse brigades can feel pretty arbitrary, and that 'structure' and 'form' are frequently used on both sides. The best poets have a good handle on both. Would that be right? Is there such a thing as a poem without form? I doubt it, not a good one anyway. The question is whether we stick to received forms or invent them. I try and do both, and I've literally only just written a sequence of six loose sonnets which I'm waiting for a paper to get back to me on. I feel pretty confident they'll get published, and it'll be my first foray into consciously writing in a received form (well, in public anyway... I try it all the time, and it mostly fails).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Free verse doesn't mean 'free form' like so many think it does, it just means free of pre-determined (or received) form. I would say a knowledge of form and meter is essential for any good poet, and every poem should have structure. Also, having to obey the rules of a form can often force you into different, and more interesting, territory than free verse. You're forced to go beyond your first ideas. Like, a bad sonnet or a bad haiku is... bad, and we've seen a lot of them. But to write a very good one is difficult, so if you do it, that sonnet or haiku could be fantastic. Basically nothing is original unless the artist feels challenged. But everything has rules. Good songs, or good anything, build on what's been done before. Just an alternative view.

I understand and appreciate what you're saying now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am 
Got Some

knee tunes wrote:
Harmless wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I understand and appreciate what you're saying now

I agree with the bold quite a bit. Subscribing to a form, even just to begin, has worked out well for myself in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 am 
Reissued

Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:

How'd I miss this? OK, reading now.

Edit: great article, this. If I understood you right, one of the things you're saying is that the either / or attitude-clash between the New Formalism and Free Verse brigades can feel pretty arbitrary, and that 'structure' and 'form' are frequently used on both sides. The best poets have a good handle on both. Would that be right? Is there such a thing as a poem without form? I doubt it, not a good one anyway. The question is whether we stick to received forms or invent them. I try and do both, and I've literally only just written a sequence of six loose sonnets which I'm waiting for a paper to get back to me on. I feel pretty confident they'll get published, and it'll be my first foray into consciously writing in a received form (well, in public anyway... I try it all the time, and it mostly fails).

Yeah, definitely. I'm writing a follow-up piece for another blog and the first paragraph is that, essentially, the idea of non-formal poetry is ludicrous, and certain minor poets aside, everyone worth reading writes with an acute awareness of form, whether its perceived or inherited or not. I'm personally really awful at form and I don't think it suits what I'm trying to do for the most part, but then a lot of my free-verse poems recently are highly formal in that they employ certain repeated rhetorical devices or tropes. Basically I think this luddite Childress is wrong about a lot of shit. That's my main point on these essays.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:20 pm 
The Snowboy

I'm apparently now an editor as well as poet-writer-thing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 pm 
The Snowboy

So here's what I've been co-editing over the last couple of weeks.

http://www.englishpen.org/red-letter-day/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:05 am 
statistically insignificant

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/10/he ... nlein.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/10/help-from-heinlein.html

oh my god! thank you for sharing this

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I work part time at this rehabilitation center for people with TBI, dementia, or psychotic behavior. There's so much gold there but I have to respect their privacy. So I've been working on a story based on my experiences. I'd like to share it but I don't want to post anything I might one day want to publish. Is there any way to privately share it with anyone interested in providing feedback?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release