Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post subject: Learning the guitar
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 pm 
On the bright side

I know this is actually a topic for GD, but seriously, I am looking for real answers and opinions here, not schtick. Mods, move it if you must.

My new year's resolution this year was to learn to play the guitar. My question is, what, in your opinion, is the best way to go about it? Self-teaching, book/dvd (not Esteban), or lessons from an instructor? Thanks for your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Learning the guitar
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:14 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Learn how to read tabs and you're all set.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I know this is actually a topic for GD, but seriously, I am looking for real answers and opinions here, not schtick. Mods, move it if you must.

My new year's resolution this year was to learn to play the guitar. My question is, what, in your opinion, is the best way to go about it? Self-teaching, book/dvd (not Esteban), or lessons from an instructor? Thanks for your thoughts.

I always said I was going to teach my self but I lacked consistent motivation. I knew a couple of chords and some simple tunes, but that was about it.

One day I got really motivated and took out my old guitar and starting to tune it. I got to the B string, turning the peg over and over again but it wouldn't tune. Then it snapped and whipped my arm and I realized I was turning the wrong peg.

Based on a Scrubs episode I had recently watched, I had this epiphany "Great, I finally get motivated to teach myself guitar and I snapped the damn string. I don't know how to fix this and now I'll never learn. This is the worst moment of my life . . . or is it the greatest moment of my life?!? Now I have motivation to bring this into a guitar store to fix it and sign up for lessons."

So that's what I did and I stuck with it for 2 years and became good friends with my teacher.

Or you could just learn to read tabs like Petey said. BTW, fixing a broken string is really easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:06 pm 
Coast to Coast

Just pick one up and fiddle around with it. I learned how to play one like that and I got to a comfortably mediocre stage. Of course that was coming off of years of playing the cello.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:40 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

man, i could never motivate myself to self-learn guitar. i did like fiddling around with jamming on strings and then messing with it til it was beyond recognition in windows wave recorder though. got some cool results from it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Definitely learn from an instructor, at the very least for the basics. They'll help you develop all the right habits from the beginning. Then you can move on to self study if you wish once you have a solid foundation.

Then, PRACTICE until your calluses have calluses. It's been said that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become good at something, and i think there is probably some truth to that. Sure you can spend a few hours and learn enough cowboy chords to impress people at a campfire but to really learn your instrument it needs to be in your hands almost every day.

It really depends on how far you want to go with guitar. You get what you put into it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:59 am 
Unthought Known

Yeah, it all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Start off with an acoustic guitar. The harsh feel of the strings will hurt at first, but you'll build up strength that will make playing electric guitar insanely simple.

As MF said, take lessons for a short while to learn the basics from an instructor you like. Don't be afraid to change if you're not inspired by someone's method of teaching. Work on fine tuning your ear and make sure you know the entire neck from top to bottom.

Using tabs are OK, but most of the people I know who learned that way only know covers and they lack the basic means of communication. Learning theory, keys, scales, and all the other stuff in between is important if you want to get fairly good.

It takes dedication, that's for sure. Don't spend an insane amount of money on anything unless you know you'll be into for a really really long time. Look on Craigslist for cheap gear. Lots of hidden gems if you're willing to stay on the lookout.

I've been playing for 16 years, and it was just in the last two years that I dropped standard tuning and started playing outside the conventional rock time signatures of 4/4 and 6/8. Now my guitar is always in a new tuning and I've had to relearn everything I knew and work on counting in 5's and 7's. Its a trip, but its so much fun.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:08 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

get that new rock band game

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:03 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

I learned from a simple book bought from guitar center that taught you basic stuff, including reading actual music notes (!) tab, how to put your hands, simple scales, strumming, and so forth. It came with a cd to play along with. I dont remember the reading music part but Tabs are a guitarists best friend if you want to learn your favorite songs real quick.

If you're trying to be a virtuoso, def think of taking lessons, I probably would have gotten a lot better a lot quicker if I did, but 10 years into it I think i'm pretty decent.

Another fun way to learn is once you know your basics like chords and other techniques, is just try to learn your favorite songs. I picked up a lot from learning my favorite songs which I used as reference when writing my own stuff later on in the bands i've played in.

Thing is, theres a lot of ways you can go about it. No matter what you choose, it is fun!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:44 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I learned how to play without using a pick first. A friend of mine said anyone can strum and play with a pick but not everyone can actually finger pick. 10 years later it has really separated me from my friends as a guitar player. It also has helped me play a lot of Ed tunes like Man of the Hour and Just Breathe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:12 pm 
Stone's Bitch

The Fresh Prince wrote:
I learned how to play without using a pick first. A friend of mine said anyone can strum and play with a pick but not everyone can actually finger pick. 10 years later it has really separated me from my friends as a guitar player. It also has helped me play a lot of Ed tunes like Man of the Hour and Just Breathe.

Really? I find finger picking easy and that anyone could do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:40 pm 
Stone's Bitch

manofgoldenwords25 wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:

I have always found it easy also. It just seems like none of my friends can do it. If they can do it, I never see them do it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:33 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The Fresh Prince wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:

I have always found it easy also. It just seems like none of my friends can do it. If they can do it, I never see them do it.

it takes a little while to get over the hump but its repetitive motion and once you have it you're set.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

windedsailor wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:

it takes a little while to get over the hump but its repetitive motion and once you have it you're set.

i only finger-pick with my thumb and index finger - i never came to grip with coordinating the rest of them. i mean, i can use all of them to pluck chords but not for finger-picking runs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:56 am 
Stone's Bitch

mastaflatch wrote:
windedsailor wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:

i only finger-pick with my thumb and index finger - i never came to grip with coordinating the rest of them. i mean, i can use all of them to pluck chords but not for finger-picking runs.

I just started using my ring finger. It makes me want to pick up a bass and see what I can do. Its been 5 years since I've played the bass.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:07 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

The Fresh Prince wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
windedsailor wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:
The Fresh Prince wrote:

I just started using my ring finger. It makes me want to pick up a bass and see what I can do. Its been 5 years since I've played the bass.

did you play like thisImage?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:32 am 
Stone's Bitch

No way man. More like this:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

thing is, i thought you spoke about your little finger - lost in translation :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 am 
Stone's Bitch

Is that guy missing 2 fingers?

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release