Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post subject: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
The Snowboy

Are there any writers doing this? I might try for the first time. I have an idea which could end up as a YA novel of this size.

November - 50,000 word novel in a month.

Simple Torture, didn't you do this last year? Are you doing it again?

Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:02 pm 
Reissued

Focusing my efforts on short fiction, poetry, and a Bolano thesis, so no. I don't think I have the skills to write a good short story, much less a novel, and while I like the idea of nanowrimo and the feeling behind it, I somewhat feel it just encourages bad writing because you're not seriously engaged with craft in that short of time. It seems fine to me if you just always wanted to write a novel as a sort of inspirational period, and props to anyone who can do it, but if you want to write serious fiction--and I'm still pretending I do--it might not be the best thing for your efforts. Not a knock on it, just a recognition of who it will help and who it won't. I'm sure in five years when I've resigned myself to poetry and only poetry I'll give it a crack to see if I can actually finish something.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:06 pm 
The Snowboy

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about craft and ackowledge that all I can get in that time is a lot of shit... but hey, I don't know about you but my first drafts are always shit. The real work will happen afterwards. I just have this idea that could begin and end within that number of words; and sort of an idea how to plot it. I'm an obsessive reviser, so that'll be the fun bit.

Do you do NaPoWriMo, the poetry version, Mickey? I do that every year. One poem per day for the month of June. If nothing else, it gives you thirty heaps of junk to work with later on. Junk is better than no junk, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:08 pm 
Reissued

Harmless wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about craft and ackowledge that all I can get in that time is a lot of shit... but hey, I don't know about you but my first drafts are always shit. The real work will happen afterwards. I just have this idea that could begin and end within that number of words; and sort of an idea how to plot it. I'm an obsessive reviser, so that'll be the fun bit.

Do you do NaPoWriMo, the poetry version, Mickey? I do that every year. One poem per day for the month of June. If nothing else, it gives you thirty heaps of junk to work with later on. Junk is better than no junk, in my opinion.

This is absolutely true. It's not usually how I write because I'm much more meticulous with a first draft than most people, but I totally dig it. I'm a shit reviser.

Never heard of the poetry version but it sounds like an interesting idea. Again, contrary to how I work, which is collecting fragments or ideas and then pulling something from them every few days. But probably really helpful. I might look in to that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:15 pm 
The Snowboy

Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:

This is absolutely true. It's not usually how I write because I'm much more meticulous with a first draft than most people, but I totally dig it. I'm a shit reviser.

Never heard of the poetry version but it sounds like an interesting idea. Again, contrary to how I work, which is collecting fragments or ideas and then pulling something from them every few days. But probably really helpful. I might look in to that.

NaPoWriMo has a website. You should do it next year. We can start a thread and put our poems up on RM each day, bore everyone to tears.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:16 pm 
Reissued

Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:

NaPoWriMo has a website. You should do it next year. We can start a thread and put our poems up on RM each day, bore everyone to tears.

For the record, I never post online. Too risky with publishing nowadays. Sometimes even posting a draft can mean a magazine won't publish your revised version later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:18 pm 
The Snowboy

Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:

For the record, I never post online. Too risky with publishing nowadays. Sometimes even posting a draft can mean a magazine won't publish your revised version later.

This is true. Everything I post online (which is very little) gets deleted long before I submit it anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:19 pm 
Reissued

Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:

This is true. Everything I post online (which is very little) gets deleted long before I submit it anywhere.

I'm also concerned because I've been submitting to a bunch of online magazines as well, and they're the ones who take it even more srsly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:23 pm 
The Snowboy

Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Harmless wrote:

I'm also concerned because I've been submitting to a bunch of online magazines as well, and they're the ones who take it even more srsly.

I hadn't thought of that. But yeah, I guess they would. I just submitted to a great online place which doesn't send rejection letters, btw. I fucking hate that. So I'm waiting for a very vague amount of time. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:25 pm 
Reissued

That's obnoxious.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:27 pm 
The Snowboy

It's nthposition, a top poetry ezine. I kinda have to put up with obnoxious if I wanna be in there. If it gets to six weeks, I'll send somewhere else. Four weeks is average.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:24 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I did this last year and was a "winner." It was fun and I spent a good amount of time (6 months) finishing my novel and editing it. It also got me off my ass to work on some short ideas I had been kicking around; some of the shorts ended up being better than the novel, I think. I'm in the first year of a PhD program now, so I won't be playing along this year. If I get any chance to work on fiction, it'll be cleaning up short pieces or finally putting pen to paper on a much shorter novel I'm planning. But yeah, fun and I'd recommend it to anyone.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:44 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Damn, I really want to do this again now.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm 
The Snowboy

Forgot to say, ST. Thanks for the input.

If you do it, the moral support would be good. No pressure though.

I'm also not sure if my idea is just shit. I've written almost an entire novel which I'm now burned out on and look at with disdain. Dare I do it again...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:26 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Aw, fuck it, I'm doing it again, if only to get fifty pages of notes for my next book. Fuck fuck fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:49 pm 
The Snowboy

Simple Torture wrote:
Aw, fuck it, I'm doing it again, if only to get fifty pages of notes for my next book. Fuck fuck fuck.

Awesome! Best of luck.

Now go read my poems..

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release