Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post subject: TENT (my new one man metal band)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:03 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

hello! just spreading the good word about my new band, i play drums guitar bass and synth on these two recordings. listen and let me know what you think. or even rate it on unearthed. thanks heaps!

http://www.triplejunearthed.com/TENT

http://www.myspace.com/tenttasmania

denverapolis wrote:
fishbob is the motherfucking man

Post subject: Re: TENT (my new one man metal band)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:30 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

great riffs. i'd love to hear more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:28 pm 
The Snowboy

Sounded good mate. Didn't like it when it went thrash, but I don't really like thrash. Also didn't really see the point in the synth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:50 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

do you mean the faster bits in (+)(-)(o) you thought were thrash? i've never really listened to thrash at all i just had all these riffs lying round and plonked them together so it just seemed natural for the way the song went

but yeah the synth was more of a gap-filler cos it took fuck all time to record so me and the engineer were just like "what else can we do to it?"

i've been trying to write some more but in between noise restrictions, a broken drumkit and the engineer moving interstate in two weeks im not sure i'll get it done

denverapolis wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 am 
Coast to Coast

(+)(-)(o) is boss all the way through. Good job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

thank you kind sir!

denverapolis wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 am 
Former PJ Drummer

fishbob wrote:
i've been trying to write some more but in between noise restrictions, a broken drumkit and the engineer moving interstate in two weeks im not sure i'll get it done

i've got that problem with noise restrictions too. so i've been using a DAW (Reaper which is free with nag), a DI recording box, amp modelling software (Guitar Rig) and a drum sampler (EZ Drummer). and a good pair of headphones obviously. it took a while to get everything working nicely and to learn how to use the software effectively but it's great now. recording at 4am kicks ass. i already owned the headphones and the software was stolen or free, so the total cost to me was about $150 for the DI box.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:55 pm 
The Snowboy

fishbob wrote:
do you mean the faster bits in (+)(-)(o) you thought were thrash? i've never really listened to thrash at all i just had all these riffs lying round and plonked them together so it just seemed natural for the way the song went

but yeah the synth was more of a gap-filler cos it took fuck all time to record so me and the engineer were just like "what else can we do to it?"

Yeah, the fast bits. But that's only personal preference, I prefer my metal slow-ish and chuggy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

just because they're fast doesn't make them thrash...

unfortunately MF i don't have any recording equipment of my own or anything really capable of handling the processing power etc.
also the guy whose kit i used on this recording (which is fantastic) is ALSO moving interstate...so yet another problem
eventually i might be able to get some stuff going but no idea when! i know all those programs would be fun to use but nothing beats a genuine recording session done the right way!

denverapolis wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 am 
The Snowboy

fishbob wrote:
just because they're fast doesn't make them thrash...

Well no, not always, but the bits I listened to - on your song - sounded like thrash metal. You just said you've 'never really listened to thrash at all', so how would you know what it sounds like?

It was a compliment, I like your stuff. I don't mean to insult when I say I don't like the thrashy bits, it's my personal opinion. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

sorry i wasn't trying to be a dick! thanks, but yeah i always envisaged thrash to be like full blown stuff more like this perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQtXxaC87Ks

denverapolis wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 am 
The Snowboy

Link doesn't work. But my understanding is that 'thrash' is Metal music typified by being at punk speeds, eg. 2/4 instead of 4/4. Most famously it's got very fast shredding and lots of stop/start in the riffs (mirrored by the drums) but it doesn't have to. Of course, you could argue it isn't thrash unless you say it is, but it's definitely thrash influenced. (Incidentally, other types of metal - death, sludge - contain fast sections as well, among slower ones. I'd use the word thrash for those too, and probably get flamed for it.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:07 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

fishbob wrote:
i know all those programs would be fun to use but nothing beats a genuine recording session done the right way!

oh i completely agree. i use it more as a songwriting tool than for actual recording. in that regard i find my little setup indispensable because when the muse hits it's almost always not at the best time to record or play, you know? however you'd be surprised at how many modern metal albums are recorded this way though, especially among lesser known groups. A lot of grind bands use programmed drums (most notably, Agoraphobic Nosebleed). I've got a bunch of song ideas that don't really fit with either of the groups i play with so i'm thinking of putting together a personal project of sorts that will probably be recorded entirely through my computer. We'll see how that turns out. I'd love to record it properly in studio but i doubt if i'd be able to come up with enough money to fund that by myself...let alone to find a drummer who could play fast enough for some of the riffs :lol: .

Anyways, keep the songs coming if you can, i'd love to hear more. There isn't enough metal being made on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:54 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

yeah good thing about this was i had a friend record it in a "home studio" of sorts for free! and yeah i've heard of a lot of metal bands using fake drums for songwriting (drumkit from hell developed by the meshuggah guy?) but when i use programs i generally stick to guitar pro which i wrote all of (+)(-)(o) in before i learnt to play it on the drums (and yes, it was fucking painful tabbing out all the drums and having to work out what the time signatures actually were!). i also use a boss loop station to record guitar parts and then drum over them to work out different sections (which i used to learn supercoat mostly).

the link i tried to post was to Fantomas' cover of The Godfather. generally i don't listen to a lot of metal at all to be honest, and the metal i do listen to isn't traditional (i listen to tool, RATM, karnivool, cog, faith no more, tiny bit of meshuggah) so any fast sections mainly come from punkier/grungier influences i guess. i just love playing stuff that is just slightly left of centre as it makes it a lot more interesting to play, write, and learn.

denverapolis wrote:

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release