Board index » Word on the Street... » Release

Post subject: Last Corinthians
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:07 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

“Love is patient, love is kind,” reads the scripture carved on the ceramic photo frame that was once propped up on my desk, the only protruding item with a radius free of papers and post-it notes. The Corinthians quote now represents the largest fragment of the shattered frame scattered haphazardly among my office floor. The frame once ensconced a photo I took at the Sunset Inn on our five-year anniversary.

I held up the white matting still attached to the photo. The first thing you notice is the bright orb just above the shoreline, slightly to the left of an empty beach chair. The suns rays hug the wooden planks that make up the back of the chair, weaving in and out of the thin empty spaces. The sun creates a stunning silhouette of the empty chair with the rays peaking through each hollow crevice and revealing all its splendid detail. The next thing you notice is a young woman’s silhouette sitting in the chair just to the right of the empty one. On the flat surface of her chair’s left armrest you can see her coffee mug. She sits curled up and swaddled in a beach blanket as she admires the sunset before her.

Other than the subtle differences between beach, sea, and sky, nothing else stands out. Just the young woman in her chair, the empty chair, and a vacant landscape.

The sun’s only gift is transparency, showing you what is there and what is not. The photo’s only gift is timelessness, showing you only what your eyes saw at a particular point in time. The memory’s only gift is context. Also, its only weapon.

Post subject: Re: Last Corinthians
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:47 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Board index » Word on the Street... » Release