Board index » Word on the Street... » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Why has traveling become so cool?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:55 pm 
Force of Nature

I met this guy who said "Yeah I worked 6 months at a construction site in Vancouver, it was hell, but at least I can tell about it to my friends when I get back home."

Nowadays everybody wants go backpacking to Asia etc., and if you don't travel or you go to a package tour you're a loser. The most important thing seems to be that you can tell about your travels to others via twitter, blog, facebook etc. how cool it is to be far away, and he or she who travels to the most exotic place and stays there for the longest is the coolest of them all. Remember to put some traveling pictures on your facebook profile picture.

It has become some kind of competition, who's got the most visited countries, who has been on the road for the longest etc. Ridiculous. I know people who have lived in one place all their lives and never really traveled - they are very smart people, and I know some people who have done some extensive traveling, and are complete assholes. Traveling doesn't make you any better person, period.

Post subject: Re: Why has traveling become so cool?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:57 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

you're poor, aren't you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 pm 
Force of Nature

and also homeless

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I agree 100%. People spend more time trying to find ways to post and take pictures of their travels than actually enjoying the trip itself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 pm 
Force of Nature

In a way it seems to be desperate way to get acceptance nowadays, to be that guy or girl who's been to these exotic places, who's got some amazing stories to tell. I say it's a bigger merit to enjoy your everyday life, be happy in the environment where you live. I feel there is a growing social pressure especially if you're young, that you SHOULD travel, go backpacking as far as possible. This is something I don't understand. And I've done my share of traveling, it didn't change anything for the better, nor do I feel like telling about it to everyone, or post pictures online.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:12 pm 
Coast to Coast

lol. I never thought I'd see this thread. "YOU WORLD TRAVELERS ARE JUST A BUNCH OF PRETENTIOUS DOUCHEBAGS".

Traveling is really fun. After high school I did a cross-continent trip where I visited every country I possibly could from Canada to Argentina. It was a fun 6 months. I met a lot of awesome people. My camera got stolen in El Salvador and I didn't even care to buy a new one. I don't have many pictures from that trip (just the ones I stole from the friends I made during it) but treasure those memories and plan to have a similar trip soon.

I think more people in the US should travel to other countries. I realize you have pretty much every possible weather/topographical configuration within the bounds of the continental US, but seeing other cultures is a really enrichening experience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:14 pm 
Black Metal Hero

I almost went to costco the other day but I got cold feet at the last minute

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:15 pm 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:
Traveling is really fun.

yeah, i kinda thought this was it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

this thread is awesome

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

theplatypus wrote:
lol. I never thought I'd see this thread. "YOU WORLD TRAVELERS ARE JUST A BUNCH OF PRETENTIOUS DOUCHEBAGS".

Traveling is really fun. After high school I did a cross-continent trip where I visited every country I possibly could from Canada to Argentina. It was a fun 6 months. I met a lot of awesome people. My camera got stolen in El Salvador and I didn't even care to buy a new one. I don't have many pictures from that trip (just the ones I stole from the friends I made during it) but treasure those memories and plan to have a similar trip soon.

I think more people in the US should travel to other countries. I realize you have pretty much every possible weather/topographical configuration within the bounds of the continental US, but seeing other cultures is a really enrichening experience.

why travel when i can see all of this on the television?

Reissued

theplatypus wrote:

Yeah, I can dig the anti-showoff-traveling vibe here, because those people are annoying, but I just got back from two weeks in Spain and it was great. It wasn't always fun per say because I was traveling alone in a new country, but there's something to be said for experiencing new things and getting out of your comfort zone, and you meet great people. I met a girl who works for Amnesty International as a journalist--talk about stories. I already treasure the memories I have and I can't wait to go on a similar trip when I graduate in a year.

And there's also something to be said about someone who lives in the same place forever and never leaves. And it's not a good thing.

Reissued

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

By traveling, Jorge meant watching the travel channel and weird foods.

godeatgod wrote:
I almost went to costco the other day but I got cold feet at the last minute

probably a good idea...you need extra time to prep for your fantasy draft anyway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:17 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I do a lot of traveling within the United States and I have never owned a digital camera and I never had a camera phone until around 2008. My friends probably think I'm a loser now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:17 pm 

Mickey wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

By traveling, Jorge meant watching the travel channel and weird foods.

hi mickey!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:21 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

the only reason i ever travel is so i can post about it here

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 pm 
Force of Nature

theplatypus wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm 
Coast to Coast

Yeah, I don't really understand that post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 pm 
Landry

Jorge, our seven days together were a bitter, bitter sham.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:34 pm 
Spacegirl

white folks thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » General Discussion