Board index » Word on the Street... » General Discussion

Post subject: Quick question here ffffolks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:45 am 
Landry

So I don't want to get all weepy and weird on you guys, especially because I don't post here anymore because some asshole I don't know ruined it, but I have a question for you.

Do you ever feel as though, I dunno, people's lives you know are taking off and yours hasn't left the deck? Even if there's evidence, however scant, to the contrary? Subconsciously or not, I measure myself against my peers, and sometimes I feel like I should be fucking people up at a US embassy in Afghanistan or performing lobotomies to perfect the mind by now. I recently read on facebooks that some asshole I knew in middle school somehow ended up at the Cass Business School in London and is some multi-millionaire economist living in a chic downtown London loft by his mid-20's. Fuck him. He's nice, but fuck him.

I know I have no perspective at all, but at the age of 25 I feel as though I should literally know everything that has ever existed by now. Maybe I'm too competitive, but I can't be happy for people, ever. I dunno, I'm an asshole, whatever.

Guys, this is life. We are all swimming in a miasma thick as peeps' pubic hair. I am scared.

Post subject: Re: Quick question here ffffolks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:46 am 
Landry

guys i'm naked

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:14 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

No.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:42 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yes, and it can be frustrating.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:50 pm 
a joke

Can't define your life by the breaks others have gotten parchy. Just gotta find a level of contentment in where you're at, while seeking opportunity for your own "break."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:58 pm 
Supersonic

Absolutely, what Skitch said. Also, there isn't a finite amount of success. Just because one person achieves a great level doesn't mean there is any less out there for others.

For my part, I've really be focusing on what I have instead of what I don't have. I've spent to much time yearning for someone else's definition of success and happiness. I live where I want to live. I love my neighborhood. I'm working in a field that I'm passionate about. My wife is amazing. I have enough to do the things I want to do with the people I want to do them with.

I'm not rich, I don't make a lot of money. I'm not a known writer. I feel like I'm flailing a lot. But then I breathe and I appreciate everything I have. I'm not some monster success by society's standards, perhaps. But fuck society. I'm the one that has to be happy. I'm the one that has to live with myself.

I'm doing just fine. I'm not where I thought I'd be at 31, but I'm happier than I ever imagined I could be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:00 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Just stay off facebook.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:12 pm 
a joke

durdencommatyler wrote:
Absolutely, what Skitch said. Also, there isn't a finite amount of success. Just because one person achieves a great level doesn't mean there is any less out there for others.

For my part, I've really be focusing on what I have instead of what I don't have. I've spent to much time yearning for someone else's definition of success and happiness. I live where I want to live. I love my neighborhood. I'm working in a field that I'm passionate about. My wife is amazing. I have enough to do the things I want to do with the people I want to do them with.

I'm not rich, I don't make a lot of money. I'm not a known writer. I feel like I'm flailing a lot. But then I breathe and I appreciate everything I have. I'm not some monster success by society's standards, perhaps. But fuck society. I'm the one that has to be happy. I'm the one that has to live with myself.

I'm doing just fine. I'm not where I thought I'd be at 31, but I'm happier than I ever imagined I could be.

Yep. I wish i could go out drinking around people more often, but thats all im missing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:25 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:

I think this is the trick to things. I know when I'm focusing more on being grateful for what I have, I'm a much happier person. Taking the hits I have through the past year, it's been tough. But I'm working on it. Every day is a new chance to do better, amirite?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:29 pm 
Supersonic

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I think this is the trick to things. I know when I'm focusing more on being grateful for what I have, I'm a much happier person. Taking the hits I have through the past year, it's been tough. But I'm working on it. Every day is a new chance to do better, amirite?

Word!

It's hard sometimes. But it's so rewarding, I find.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:34 pm 
Spacegirl

the world is a vampire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:52 pm 
Landry

i hope you guys know im not going to read any of this

spike what are they saying about me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:57 pm 
Force of Nature

Just try to have fun, y'all!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:40 pm 
Force of Nature

parchy- pretty much what everyone else has already said also your first comment is very telling because you might be allowing other assholes to ruin it for you. those guys you think that are successful might have serious problems too like debt or no time to do fun stuff. its all relative.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:44 pm 
a joke

spelunking wrote:
parchy- pretty much what everyone else has already said also your first comment is very telling because you might be allowing other assholes to ruin it for you. those guys you think that are successful might have serious problems too like debt or no time to do fun stuff. its all relative.

Exactly. My buddy lives in a million dollar home in CT, makes over 300k a year.... and when they were in town at christmas, he seemed totally 100% uncomfortable with his 16 month old son, almost like he never sees the kid. I make significantly less money, live in a less awesome house... but i get to spend a lot of time with my kids.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:52 pm 
Got Some

People, be comfortable with who you are

Have some hot sex,
eat some good pizza,
enjoy a cool breeze on a summer night.

Then, die.

but I wouldn't hold my breath

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm 
losing relevance

yeah I dunno, some kind of existential crisis you got there fella

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:07 pm 
The Snowboy

I used to feel like this Parchy, but I'm nearly thirty, life shit has happened, and now I realise that competition and the Rat Race is all a load of bollocks. The only thing that matters in this life is your friends and family. Fuck ambition. Fuck 'getting to the top'. The top is just a height from which you get dizzy and eventually fall. Stay on the ground and live. Fuck. Love.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:22 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

You guys are all a bunch of losers, though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:33 pm 
The Snowboy

Yes, I have lost. But look around at what I've gained. You can see it. You can.

Board index » Word on the Street... » General Discussion