Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:57 pm 
Banned from the Pit

twoheadedboy wrote:
It's just shorthand for people who don't have the attention span to read this full sentence: "PLEASE DO NOT ENCODE TO MP3 AND TRADE OUT TO PEOPLE AS LOSSLESS, OR TRADE OUT AS MP3 AT ALL FOR THAT MATTER"

Yeah and this is where I have a problem. Why do they care if someone trades it clearly marked as mp3? Seems like that would allow people who don't have the connection speed for these huge files to get a chance to listen. Ya know, spreading it around rather than just in the elitist "taper" community. Not that I am not very grateful for what they do, it's just that acting this way afterwards is obnoxious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:06 pm 
Mike's Maniac

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:44 pm 
Supersonic

twoheadedboy wrote:
Let me quote myself, because you obviously didn't read it the first time:

twoheadedboy wrote:
But one point to correct - nobody cares in which format you listen to the music. We tapers only care how its distributed. There's a key difference.

First, that's obviously not the truth, a lot of people bitch CONSTANTLY against mp3s like it's so freakin evil.
Then ok, so let me get this straight, im free to listen to mp3s if i want and if it's more convenient for me but i still HAVE to download or swomehow get the lossless format in the first place? It doesn't make sense to me, just let me do whatever i want wirth the music i want to hear, and if it's such a problem for tapers, if it makes them so angry, it maybe time to start doing something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:52 pm 
Supersonic

Mitchell613 wrote:
I personally think that your attitude is getting old. If a person sacrifices so much time and energy so you can hear the show, one would think you would have the integrity to respect their wishes of not having it converted to mp3.

You know what, let's be realistic for one second here. sacrifice, integrity, respect ? Don't you think it's going a little far now? I AM thankful for the tapers work but stop making it sound like they lost an arm and their familyin the process. Im sorry but they way it's happening now just looks like they're imposing their "wishes" on everyone by threatening the community if we dont meet the standards.
It's great that they're dedicated enough to stand still and record a show, but it's not like they cured cancer and it certainly doesnt justify being a nazi about it. I said it, im fine with the tapers wishes as long as people stop going out of their way to enforce THE ALMIGHTY MP3 RULE. Some people can and want to use lossless only, sonme people can't and don't want to. You can argue all you want but prohibiting mp3s just makes it more difficult for people to enjoy the shows and that's not supposed to be the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:01 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

twoheadedboy wrote:
Mitchell613 wrote:
paper plates has been trying to get traffic to his forum for a while, he did it on synergy a couple of times.

Yeah, it was blatantly obvious that he's being an ad whore for his forum, which is why I chose to be a pedantic ass about it. I still don't believe his sources are different from the ones we already have, is there anyone who is registered there that can back me up or refute?

The only reason I 'whore' my forum, as you put it, is to spread some Pearl Jam music to all of the fans that don't have the know how or technolgy to do it themselves. I gain absolutely nothing by having people come to my forum. I don't charge a fee and it doesn't require anything more than an E-Mail addy to register. As a matter of fact it ends up costing me more money if I go over my alloted bandwidth, which I have done on occassion.

I'm not saying that my source is different than the ones in .shn format. I've listened to both and they do seem to be the same. That is the way I received the files so that is the way I offer them to people on my board. As I said in a previous post I don't have the server space or bandwidth to distribute them in higher quality formats.

As far as disrespecting the tapers I look at it this way. Here you have people taping a show usually without the bands knowledge. I know Pearl Jam allows taping however this was a Bruce show. I'm not sure what his policy is on taping but regardless they are taping a show and then distributing it, somewhat tip toeing on the edge of illegal. What's the difference how that show is distributed? Alot of you say that it takes alot of time for the taper to convert the tapes and then distribute them via torrent. Well what about the time it takes to convert the .shn's over to MP3's and retagging them accordingly. That takes alot of time and effort as well. Again, there are alot of people that don't know anything about torrent and alot that don't have the space to store them and they prefer MP3's. Shouldn't there be a sourse out there for these people as well? I think the people that you should be focusing your anger on are these people http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4044667567&rd=1. They are obviously distributing the music for monetary gain. These are the people that you should be bitching at. I have never asked for anything in return for the distribution of any music I offer on my site, and never will.

After reading all of the posts here and seeing alot of you people crying like babies about something so stupid, I have killed the link to the Bruce/Eddie MP3's. If anyone is still interested in them they can PM me here or at my board and we can do it via E-Mail or AIM.

Just remember, it's all about one thing, Spreading the Jam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:30 am 
a joke

i was nice paperplates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:33 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

edzeppe wrote:
i was nice paperplates.

I know, you spoke the truth. I was going to thank you
at another time and place, but being you responded here......

Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:40 am 
a joke

Paper Plates wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
i was nice paperplates.

Thank You

So, you wanna mke out or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:45 am 
Force of Nature

MedGoatTX wrote:
... And to the people complaning about distribution, seriously, get a life. If you've taped it in your nice lossless format, great, have fun. But get off the selfish power trip of trying to keep it unusable for 99% of music listeners. That just makes no sense to me. The SHN that I downloaded then converted to AAC sounds just great. What is the big deal?

where'd you get 99% from? once the show's been released, i'd say its available to pretty much everyone in whatever media format the taper wishes. you can download pretty much every new show through BT, or get them through trades/B&P.

just my opinion, but these threads are ridiculous. all that matters is if you are aquiring a show that the taper doesnt want converted to mp3, dont do it. it shouldnt be that complicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:54 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

edzeppe wrote:
Paper Plates wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
i was nice paperplates.

Thank You

So, you wanna mke out or something?

maybe later. I'm busy converting files Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:56 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

RrrrrrredBelly wrote:

just my opinion, but these threads are ridiculous. all that matters is if you are aquiring a show that the taper doesnt want converted to mp3, dont do it. it shouldnt be that complicated.

what about the artists that don't want their shows taped and distributed, in
any format,but the tapers do it anyway? I guess that's ok, as long as YOU benefit.

Gimme a break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:21 am 
Force of Nature

Paper Plates wrote:
RrrrrrredBelly wrote:

what about the artists that don't want their shows taped and distributed, in
any format,but the tapers do it anyway? I guess that's ok, as long as YOU benefit.

Gimme a break.

i dont think that's right either. i cant say for sure that every band that i have a bootleg for is behind people taping their shows, but i do know that most of them are ok with it. or at least they're not opposed to it.

the majority of tapers ARE opposed to people converting their shows to mp3's though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:29 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

RrrrrrredBelly wrote:

i dont think that's right either. i cant say for sure that every band that i have a bootleg for is behind people taping their shows, but i do know that most of them are ok with it. or at least they're not opposed to it.

the majority of tapers ARE opposed to people converting their shows to mp3's though.

The majority of artists support taping? I don't think that's true.
How do you know most of them are ok with it, did you personally ask them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:32 am 
Supersonic

RrrrrrredBelly wrote:

I still don't see why they give a fuck, and what gives them the right to be opposed to that, they want people to have the shows, they share their recordings, after that it's not in their hands anymore.
Most people don't hear a difference, why would they be hassled ?
Once again everyone can listen to the shows the way they want and everyone has access to the shows, it seems to me that it's all the tapers should care about. Don't trade mp3s, fine, really fine, but don't give hell to people who make them available to the people who want them.
Different taste, why isn't that acceptable ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:40 am 
Force of Nature

Paper Plates wrote:
RrrrrrredBelly wrote:

The majority of artists support taping? I don't think that's true.
How do you know most of them are ok with it, did you personally ask them?

sorry, i thought i corrected myself. no, i havent talked to any of them personally. however, the majority of my bootlegs are from PJ and the counting crows, both of whom are ok with people taping their shows.

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJ ... aping.html

http://www.countingcrows.com/taping_policy.html

i guess technically i am benefiting from the people that get a DAT recording, as PJ's taping policy specifies hand held walkman type equipment only. so i guess you got me there.

using the analogy that you did, if tapers supported the conversion to mp3's, or, to use my term, "werent opposed to it," then we wouldnt be having this conversation. but they are opposed to it, which is why it shouldnt be done. you want mp3's, go tape your own show and convert it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 am 
Force of Nature

Patrick Bateman wrote:
RrrrrrredBelly wrote:

I still don't see why they give a fuck, and what gives them the right to be opposed to that, they want people to have the shows, they share their recordings, after that it's not in their hands anymore.
Most people don't hear a difference, why would they be hassled ?
Once again everyone can listen to the shows the way they want and everyone has access to the shows, it seems to me that it's all the tapers should care about. Don't trade mp3s, fine, really fine, but don't give hell to people who make them available to the people who want them.
Different taste, why isn't that acceptable ?

this thread is definately going in circles. it shouldnt matter why they give a fuck. they made the recording, and its their request. i'm not trying to speak for others, but from what i've read here i think the biggest complaint that people have is the possibility of trading with someone who has a mp3 sourced show and not know it (or knows it and doesnt care). once the show has been posted online as an mp3. its easy for someone to burn it to a cd, then trade with someone, who converts it to mp3 again and posts it online, so now someone else is burning it, and over time the quality is pretty shitty. would you want a show that was a 10th generation casseste tape? its the same thing as going wav > mp3 > wav > mp3 etc.

dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:08 am 
Johnny Guitar

SO i take it the tapers have "OWNERSHIP" of these recordings and the copies they distrubute..?

the BBS whore has a point. Tapers dont really give much respect to the artists they record from, the artist who put forth 1000 times more sweat and tears and their art then do the these 'tapers'. But they sure want someone to respect their own wishes.

Hey im the first guy to give a pat on the back to the tapers who provide the recordings, but its distribute at your own risk. Don't be babies. MP3's and VCD's will always be around. No matter how hard you try, There will always be that one person who will encode your files and spread the music. Just deal with it and enjoy the music...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:34 am 
Banned from the Pit

RrrrrrredBelly wrote:
MedGoatTX wrote:
... And to the people complaning about distribution, seriously, get a life. If you've taped it in your nice lossless format, great, have fun. But get off the selfish power trip of trying to keep it unusable for 99% of music listeners. That just makes no sense to me. The SHN that I downloaded then converted to AAC sounds just great. What is the big deal?

where'd you get 99% from? once the show's been released, i'd say its available to pretty much everyone in whatever media format the taper wishes. you can download pretty much every new show through BT, or get them through trades/B&P.

My point being...that the SHN/FLAC files don't play on a standard mp3 player on a computer, or on your portables like the ipod for that matter. Plus a lot of people don't have the bandwidth/connection speed to download the massive files. The quality change in going from SHN/FLAC to mp3 is negligible. I just fail to understand the big deal. I agree that these threads are ridiculous, and I think it is mostly due to power-tripping people who think it lessens their contribution for someone to make it more widely available/useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:00 am 
Banned from the Pit

Mitchell613 wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

I really really think the tapers do a great job but the attitude is getting old and not making me want to thank them as i should, there's too much negativity and we're losing the point.

I personally think that your attitude is getting old. If a person sacrifices so much time and energy so you can hear the show, one would think you would have the integrity to respect their wishes of not having it converted to mp3.

totally agree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:32 am 
Banned from the Pit

Man, Bruce kind of...ehm... sucks. I know it's Eddie's song and its expected that he would completly own bruce. But this is just sad.

Eddie rocks. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live