Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post subject: Next Tour's bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:30 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

I have been slowly but surely building my collection of the official bootlegs from the 2000 and 2003 tours. I am trying to decifer which ones i prefer. On one hand you have the 2000 boots with the different color disks and the set-list written out on the inside. Also they were all available in stores. However, it took longer to acquire them.
On the other hand the '03 boots were available right away after the show online. But the discs look all the same. And were only available for a limited time.
So i was wondering which method everyone would want for the next tour.

Post subject: Re: Next Tour's bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:42 am 
Force of Nature

Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
I have been slowly but surely building my collection of the official bootlegs from the 2000 and 2003 tours. I am trying to decifer which ones i prefer. On one hand you have the 2000 boots with the different color disks and the set-list written out on the inside. Also they were all available in stores. However, it took longer to acquire them.
On the other hand the '03 boots were available right away after the show online. But the discs look all the same. And were only available for a limited time.
So i was wondering which method everyone would want for the next tour.
lol, does anyone really care what the discs looked like? It's about the music. The 2003 method was AMAZING!!! You could download decent quality mp3s the next morning and get an excellent cd version sometimes less than a week after the show!!! 2003 was a very good year to be a Pearl Jam fan. I remember paying $60 for crappy quality boots when I was in highschool. In 1995 the internet wasn't as big as it is now. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:56 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

a little from column a, a little from column b...

I don't think they'll go back to releasing all the shows on retail, or printing 70 different covers. Maybe next time they'll do something like livephish. I don't own any of those, but i think it's a good idea. $12.95 gets you flac files. $9.95 gets you MP3 files.

they provide artwork you can download and print. it's not incredible, but it's nice and clean, comes with tracklistings, and is at least unique.

Some might say that $13 is too much for a download, that they'd rather get a real disc with real artwork. But i wasn't too thrilled paying $13 per show and getting the same cardboard sleeve for all of them. On top of that, the quality of the pressing was terrible. don't confuse this with audio quality. that was fine. but the replication/pressing of the discs was horrible. i burn better quality (in terms of errors) discs myself.

I've bought all the 2000's and 2003's. next time, i won't buy them all if they do the same thing as they did in 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i like the way the 2000 boots looked much better....although, i guess i couldn't care less what they looked like

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:20 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Leehro wrote:
I don't think they'll go back to releasing all the shows on retail, or printing 70 different covers. Maybe next time they'll do something like livephish. I don't own any of those, but i think it's a good idea. $12.95 gets you flac files. $9.95 gets you MP3 files.

they provide artwork you can download and print. it's not incredible, but it's nice and clean, comes with tracklistings, and is at least unique.

Some might say that $13 is too much for a download, that they'd rather get a real disc with real artwork. But i wasn't too thrilled paying $13 per show and getting the same cardboard sleeve for all of them. On top of that, the quality of the pressing was terrible. don't confuse this with audio quality. that was fine. but the replication/pressing of the discs was horrible. i burn better quality (in terms of errors) discs myself.

I've bought all the 2000's and 2003's. next time, i won't buy them all if they do the same thing as they did in 2003.

that would suck for people like me who don't want mp3s but wouldn't know what to do with a flac file

ever dream of escaping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:42 pm 
Force of Nature

godsdice wrote:
Leehro wrote:

that would suck for people like me who don't want mp3s but wouldn't know what to do with a flac file

well, its a good thing that you have time to learn, isnt it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:49 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I still like the 2003 method. I don't think that $13 is to much for a d/l, but I'd rather have an actual cd with the sleave. You can always archive those yourself onto better quaility media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:27 am 
Johnny Guitar

the 2003 version was the best

1) mp3's within 48 hours
and
2) you also got a pressed version mailed to you weeks later

hands down the best option for fans, imho.

i prefer a pressed version rather than my own burn from flac.

i liked the cardboard sleeves and am ok with a sticker for the seltlist/spine

all for $13

even pearl jam's shit doesn't stink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:06 am 
Global Moderator

i prefer the 03 method, because i had the shows in hand like 6 days after i ordered them, and that meant on some orders i got a show 6 days after it was played.......thats kick ass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:20 am 
Stone's Bitch

2003 way for me. I don't care what the cd looks like or what the packaging is like. It's what's the audio that counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:20 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

I like the 2003 method as well, I just wish they would have been available a while longer. I ordered the 4 shows I went to right away, but probably would have bought more had they been available longer. Luckily we are allowed to trade them anyway, but its a lot more common to find a 2000 show in a used CD store than it is a 2003, most likely cause they are on Ebay for like $40 a pop. I just bought like 20 of the 2000 shows (in really good condition I might add) for $9.99 each at my local used CD store. Ive only seen one 2003 in a used store ever, in Grand Rapids, MI and it was like $29 and it was beat as hell....I'm done babbling now. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:25 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'd like to see them available both over the net and it shops to cater for people who don't live near a shop that will sell them, and for those who don't have a credit card and/or access to the internet. And they should be released, if people wanna download and put the gig together themselves but that's fine, but I really like being able to buy a full gig already put together. Also I would like to see them in normal boxes - in 2000 it was too easy for the cd to fall out and in 2003 there was too much friction and it was too hard to get them out. Remember that when someone buys a CD they want the risk of scratching and damage to the cd to be minimal.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:34 pm 
Johnny Guitar

lol,i love my local record store. Pinkpop vhs, garden 9/11/98 vhs, san fran 95(i think san fran) and a bunch of other ones includig fox theater st. louis 94. Also, 30 2003 boots just arrived, i got 3 of em already and counting. plus like 5 other 00 ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:34 pm 
Banned from the Pit

poto101 wrote:
lol,i love my local record store. Pinkpop vhs, garden 9/11/98 vhs, san fran 95(i think san fran) and a bunch of other ones includig fox theater st. louis 94. Also, 30 2003 boots just arrived, i got 3 of em already and counting. plus like 5 other 00 ones.

Just to clarify...that '95 San Francisco show was probably the 11-4-1995 San Jose (CA) Spartan Stadium show...the make up show for the Golden Gate Neil Jam fiasco.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the VHS copy of this show when I saw it at one of my local record store some years back. IT was a great show to be at and I still regularly listen to the boot of this show.

Peace,

J.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live