Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: favorite Blacks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:09 am 
Banned from the Pit

Any of you heard the '93 version from Witchita? Eddie stops it a few verses in and tells the crowd surefers to cool it, then they start it over. There's a '94 version from Florida that I like a whole lot too on account of the "I don't think these people understand... You belong to me.." ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:11 am 
Got Some

Play C3 wrote:
Yield05 wrote:
corel center OTTAWA sept 16th 2005

i just listened to this one hours ago. im always blown away by it.

but picking a favorite rendition of black is like ... well i cant think of an appropriate simile right now. but there are so many excellent, emotional, and mindblowing performances that i cannot choose only one.

"all the stars in the sky...thought you were up in mine....youre so long gone....still i wonder..."

wow

put it on now and have goosebumps all over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:33 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

right now 6.23.06 is my favorite version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:48 pm 
Banned from the Pit

stip wrote:
wegledude wrote:
Black is probably my favorite Pearl jam song. I can say that I've listened to it just about every or every other day since I got into Pearl Jam. Yet I've been pretty hard pressed to find very many amazing live versions. I think that one of the biggest things that makes or breaks the song is the tempo. Many times, particularly lately (03-05) the song has been either way too fast, too slow, or has speed up too dramatically in the middle. I prefer a slower more mellow black that gradually increases in intensity.

I also think that this is a whole band song and that it is the strongest when it is not just about the guitar solo or Ed's voice and what he add in or the length of the song. Rather, its about how those things blend. Also for me, Ed has to nail this one for me to like it. No overbearing diaphramic singing (early) and no whimpering or searching for the key moaning (lately). I for one really don't think the atlanta 94 version is that special. Ed is losing his voice, the tempo is too rushed, and the guitar solo seems to distract from the gestault of the song. I do like, as do many others, the tags.

I've got most of my bootlegs from pearljamlive.com and theskyiscrape setlist archives so I'm probly missing a few great versions, but my favorite version of the song is 7-9-95. Although there is a slight false start the song gets underway with the perfect melodic and nostalgic feeling. The drums and pace are absolutley haunting and the guitar strumming particularly elegant. The melodic mood spirals out of control with intensity without losing integrity in the climax of the song and the towards the end mike is complimenting Ed's cries and howls and the songs ends on a perfect note, probably one of the best we belong togethers. Another favorite version is pinkpop2000 (I especially like mikes shimmering guitar transition to the slower end of the song). the CBGB version in 91 has a great Ed performance, his voice and all the subtle nuances are there. Also the Bridge Benefit of 94 with Benmont Tench is probably my favorite acoustic version and Benmont really adds depth. I just havent been impressed with Boom's contribution to the song. The versions of Brendan O'brien are good.

I guess you could call me the Simon of live Black. I'm so picky because its sucha great song. Anyways enough ranting from me.

most of my old boots are packed away right now but really have me wanting to hear the 7-9-95 version. You seem to know your shit.

I wouldnt be surprised if most people would disagree with my ranting. But for me its all in the details with Pearl Jam. I forgot to add that I think the sudden stop of the drums around the chorus in the 94 versions seem interesting in theory but for just don't work with Dave's heavy drumming and ruined the flow of the song. The 92 unplugged version I agree is amazing. I would love to hear what you think about the Summerfest95 version. Mike was tearing it up that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:12 pm 
Johnny Guitar

rimb wrote:
HeWhoForgets wrote:
that's a tough one. atlanta 94 would be the best if not for the way dave played it. most of the 94 shows he would stop drumming during the chorus, and i think it totally kills the momentum.

That's what makes that, and other '94, versions so great I reckon.

Sounds beautiful with just Ed's voice and rhythm guitar before the drums kick back in...
I just went back and listened to this, and it definitely kicks some ass with just Ed's voice. And Stone and Jeff were still doing the back dodododo's..sucks they quit that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 pm 
Cameron's Stallion: Riding Hard
 WWW  Profile

I've heard a lot of versions, and I think the one played last weekend in Marseille is the best one I've heard. Ever. Looking forward to hearing it again on the boot

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brothers keeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:19 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Antwerp was fucking magical.

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:33 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

I think the best versions were 94-96 but I love the extended, slow outtro they have been doing on the current tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:21 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

denverapolis wrote:
lo2l is one of my favorites for the solo, but my other two would be:

mpls, mn 6/30/98 - my first ever PJ show, the crowd sang along LOUD as all get out, and the solo seemed to go on forever; i've since listened to it on bootleg (several times) and this solo is fantastic

san jose, 11/4/95 - one of my oldest bootlegs, titled "anxiety"; i liked the intensity of this show througout, and mike was on fire the whole show. the solo builds to a peak with mike wailing on one note and at the end of the song, stone says into the mic with (what sounded like) awe "that's mike mccready"

LO2L and San Jose 95 are 2 of my favorites. Good choices. (Blood from San Jose is freaking brutal too....I just wish Ed's voice wasn't shot...it would be the best version ever by far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:43 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Melbourne 3-17-95

Very intense version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:32 am 
Got Some

BinFrog wrote:
(Blood from San Jose is freaking brutal too....I just wish Ed's voice wasn't shot...it would be the best version ever by far)

its STILL the best version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:48 am 
Interweb Celebrity

corduroy_blazer wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
nobody ever mentioned albuquerque 2003?

that's a pretty good version, chap.

yes, my favorite too.

me too!

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:51 am 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
nobody ever mentioned albuquerque 2003?

that's a pretty good version, chap.

yes, my favorite too.

me too!

:haha:

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:18 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

DeLima wrote:
BinFrog wrote:
(Blood from San Jose is freaking brutal too....I just wish Ed's voice wasn't shot...it would be the best version ever by far)

its STILL the best version

It's ridiculously good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:19 am 
Unthought Known

Benaroya 03
Unplugged 92

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:36 pm 
Banned from the Pit

My favorite Black was Nov 2000 in Portland. I think it may have a lot to do with having been at the show but Mike did an almost Edge from U2 style solo that echoed throughout the Rose Garden as the spacey lights moved all around the crowd. I still listen to that bootleg and it gives me chills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:07 am 
Got Some

Unplugged
Atlanta 94
LO2L
Benaroya

8/22/98,9/11/05,8/21/09,9/15/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:41 am 
Got Some

Zephyr wrote:
I've heard a lot of versions, and I think the one played last weekend in Marseille is the best one I've heard. Ever. Looking forward to hearing it again on the boot

I just bought this boot and...wow. Magical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:03 am 
Stone's Bitch

Jones Beach 2000 night 3. Amazing solo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:30 am 
Johnny Guitar

I'm gunna have to agree with those that mentioned Ottawa..amazing tag..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live