Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Talk About: The 2006 Tour
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:22 am 
Force of Nature

SuperNintendoChalmers wrote:
I love the cover art on these.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:30 am 
Banned from the Pit

Indifference of Chicago 1 just might be might single favorite concert experience ever. The only thing that could rival it is the second Encore Break from Champaign 03.

5/4/10 - St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:08 pm 
Got Some

glorifiedG in AZ wrote:
mray10 wrote:
The SD show was and still is the best live concert experience I've ever had. Stellar main set, great encores. Just a fabulous night. And on the bootleg it all comes over as ... good. It's a good show to listen to, especially with my memories of actually being there, but I can understand why other bootlegs get more praise.

I don't think I've ever been to a better show since then, PJ or otherwise. Perfect combination of atmosphere, setlist, and a great day in San Diego. I still regret not going to LA after this one. This has always been one of my favorite tours when listening to the bootlegs. Then again, I like Avocado so that helps.

I would agree overall. I think I even kind of knew it that night. Like, "Well, I've had some great concert experiences, but nothing like that, and I'll probably never see anything that awesome again."

I'd also been in Vegas the night before and that show was the exact opposite. It didn't have a great feeling at all in the room (obviously others who were there might disagree), Ed seemed unhappy with how things were going, and while it was fun, it never really seemed to take off. But it comes off much better than that on the bootleg.

It was hard to get motivated to get to SD the next day after that show. Seemed like Ed wasn't feeling well, maybe the time off had slowed the band down, etc. The show they pulled out that night was all the greater for that juxtaposition.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:49 pm 
Got Some

Salukimars wrote:
Indifference of Chicago 1 just might be might single favorite concert experience ever. The only thing that could rival it is the second Encore Break from Champaign 03.

That entire Champaign show was absolute magic.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mray10 wrote:
glorifiedG in AZ wrote:
mray10 wrote:
The SD show was and still is the best live concert experience I've ever had. Stellar main set, great encores. Just a fabulous night. And on the bootleg it all comes over as ... good. It's a good show to listen to, especially with my memories of actually being there, but I can understand why other bootlegs get more praise.

I don't think I've ever been to a better show since then, PJ or otherwise. Perfect combination of atmosphere, setlist, and a great day in San Diego. I still regret not going to LA after this one. This has always been one of my favorite tours when listening to the bootlegs. Then again, I like Avocado so that helps.

I would agree overall. I think I even kind of knew it that night. Like, "Well, I've had some great concert experiences, but nothing like that, and I'll probably never see anything that awesome again."

Bonnaroo has taken the "best show I've been to" crown for me, but San Diego is not far behind. It still is kind of amazing to me that a set with 10 Avocado tracks is amongst my favorite shows, but for whatever reason it didn't seem like there was that many that night. Perhaps that's why the bootleg doesn't translate as well. I'd seen 4 '06 shows up to that point, so with Oceans and Brain of J making tour debuts, Crown of Thorns getting played, Big Wave debuting, and unexpected performances of Satan's Bed and You Are, not to mention the incredible Long Road story, there was plenty of things that were exciting that offset my 5th go-rounds of Life Wasted/WWS/Severed/Even Flow/etc.

The LA shows get deserved praise, too, but if you went to SD and then LA night 1- those shows were as close to identical shows as I've seen them play, with the Satan's Bed/Brain of J type songs getting swapped out for Whipping/DTE. Nothing wrong with that, but the set structure wasn't much different, so with repeat after repeat happening (and largely in the same slots), I walked out of LA1 really disappointed. On the boot it's a great show, like most of the west coast shows were, but for me the high that was San Diego was as much a low for LA1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 pm 
Master of Meh

Wow, I'd never noticed how similar those two sets were. I'm a big fan of LA 2 from the bootleg, that's a helluva show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:56 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Lot's of talk about the west coast being spot on, but the 2 Chicago shows and the GR shows are awesome as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 pm 
Banned from the Pit

jdopj wrote:
Lot's of talk about the west coast being spot on, but the 2 Chicago shows and the GR shows are awesome as well.

Actually this whole tour is so consistent! Keeping in mind the variance of the setlists I would go so far and say that this tour is more consistent than 2000. I cant think of one single show that I would describe as rather sloppy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

SpectorHD wrote:
jdopj wrote:

Actually this whole tour is so consistent! Keeping in mind the variance of the setlists I would go so far and say that this tour is more consistent than 2000. I cant think of one single show that I would describe as rather sloppy.

Some of the early shows in the tour weren't that great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I thought the Chicago shows were a wreck, this from someone who has an affinity for Chicago like Chud has for Boston.

Grand Rapids was pretty messy too, if memory serves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:12 am 
Master of Meh

Kevin Davis wrote:
I thought the Chicago shows were a wreck, this from someone who has an affinity for Chicago like Chud has for Boston.

I agree.

They might've been enjoyable shows in person, but the recordings reveal them to be fairly underwhelming performances - especially in comparison to some of the later 2006 shows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 am 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I agree.

They might've been enjoyable shows in person, but the recordings reveal them to be fairly underwhelming performances - especially in comparison to some of the later 2006 shows.

Nope, subpar in person too. Probably my least favorite show that I've seen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am 
Banned from the Pit

I agree that for example GR was not the tightest show or anything. But yet if you can say this it has some kind of a loose feel to it. I mean it’s not sloppy in the sense of philly-drunk-party-sloppiness. :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 pm 
Got Some

Philly set the bar really low for acceptance of sloppiness. In comparison, the sloppy shows from 2006 are simply "loose".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:12 am 
Banned from the Pit

I didn’t intend to say that GR is loose because of its sloppiness. It’s just that because of the cool set (especially the acoustic encore) and the still serious approach by the band the sloppiness doesn’t bother me that much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

The two shows I saw on the East Coast tour (Camden, NJ) were less than great. I remember Ed and Jeff looking at each other at one point and just shrugging their shoulders like they couldn't figure out what was missing.

I was lucky enough to see 5 shows on the West Coast that summer though and they are the top 5 shows I've ever seen by the band. SD, SB, SF III, Gorge I and II. I kind of had a feeling when it was over that Pearl Jam might have peaked for me. They played everything I had ever wanted to hear by them and they played it all so damn well. Full band Little Wing?! Are you fucking kidding me? How many times did I play that Little Wing/Maggot Brain from Summerfest 95 or the Won't Back Down from St. Pete 94 or the It's Okay from VA Beach 2000?!

2006 was special. I need to listen to more of the Europe/Australia shows.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I was always disappointed with the east coast shows but yeah, listening to San Fran 3 last night kind of blew my mind. It's not my favorite style of Pearl Jam, with the speed issues, but you can't deny how fucking tight the band was there.

I typically focus on Ed and Stone when I'm at a show, but at SF III I was keyed in on Matt. He and Jeff had a hell of night. After the show Matt and Jeff had a big hug/high five and it was clear that they realized how well the show was played.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:32 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

What happened to the Gorge presets? I assume it was the heat, but all tour they had ramped up the "no opening band" at the Gorge and then didn't even mention the change. At Santa Barbara when they came out and did a semi-acoustic preset Ed even said, "this is a mini Gorge" show.

I've always wanted to discuss this, but never had a place. Thanks Chud.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live