Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post subject: Re: Acoustic guitars
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:23 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
stone@pearljam.com

this could spell danger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I think Ed is the only member of Pearl Jam who sounds remotely comfortable playing an acoustic guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:29 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
I think Ed is the only member of Pearl Jam who sounds remotely comfortable playing an acoustic guitar.

"he sounds remotely comfortable" Ha!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:

he sure sounds willing to improve himself technically and that's something to be proud of, considering he's a millionaire rock star who could easily rest on his laurels.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

knee tunes wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
who of us two should write the letter?

:?

I could write it. You could tell me if its written diplomatically enough.

Do you know where I could send it?

Snail mail might be more effective:
http://bit.ly/sKckLr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

leopold wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
who of us two should write the letter?

:?

I could write it. You could tell me if its written diplomatically enough.

Do you know where I could send it?

Snail mail might be more effective:
http://bit.ly/sKckLr

address?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:02 am 
Unthought Known

I've never heard an acoustic simulator that sounded good. They're dreadful, and if that's what Stone primarily uses its too bad.

In the studio, you can record an acoustic with a couple mics pointed at the body/soundhole and at the fretboard, but the tone of it all depends on the guitar's body shape, the wood, the strings, the room and the musician playing. In concert, they're playing to 20,000 people at a time so booming that sound throughout a venue might have its challenges like finding the right space in the mix, or picking up ambient reverb that wouldn't be apparent on an album. If an acoustic guitar has a pickup its going to sound best when run through an acoustic amp, right? When have you ever seen separate amps for acoustic guitars on stage? You don't. They just have their electric amps in the backline. So if they're running their acoustics into a board and then kicking that up to the PA, that's going to sound fairly different and much less appealing than a well mic'd studio performance ever would.

When using an acoustic simulator pedal on an electric guitar, the sound will be different depending on the guitar. Stone typically uses a Stratocaster with single coil pickups for Daughter. If he'd use his Les Paul, with the humbuckers a simulator pedal would sound a little fuller with more depth and a bigger sound. Nothing beats the real thing so some will believe that a real acoustic guitar is going to sound infinitely better than a modified electric, but if its not given the best sound treatment, its going to sound fairly bad in a large arena or concrete amphitheater.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
I've never heard an acoustic simulator that sounded good. They're dreadful, and if that's what Stone primarily uses its too bad.

In the studio, you can record an acoustic with a couple mics pointed at the body/soundhole and at the fretboard, but the tone of it all depends on the guitar's body shape, the wood, the strings, the room and the musician playing. In concert, they're playing to 20,000 people at a time so booming that sound throughout a venue might have its challenges like finding the right space in the mix, or picking up ambient reverb that wouldn't be apparent on an album. If an acoustic guitar has a pickup its going to sound best when run through an acoustic amp, right? When have you ever seen separate amps for acoustic guitars on stage? You don't. They just have their electric amps in the backline. So if they're running their acoustics into a board and then kicking that up to the PA, that's going to sound fairly different and much less appealing than a well mic'd studio performance ever would.

When using an acoustic simulator pedal on an electric guitar, the sound will be different depending on the guitar. Stone typically uses a Stratocaster with single coil pickups for Daughter. If he'd use his Les Paul, with the humbuckers a simulator pedal would sound a little fuller with more depth and a bigger sound. Nothing beats the real thing so some will believe that a real acoustic guitar is going to sound infinitely better than a modified electric, but if its not given the best sound treatment, its going to sound fairly bad in a large arena or concrete amphitheater.

thanks for this post :nice:
they should have amps that are solely dedicated to acoustic guitars. i don't know why they don't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:03 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

More importantly what are the NAIS chords :wink:

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:28 pm 
Force of Nature

mastaflatch wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

thanks for this post :nice:
they should have amps that are solely dedicated to acoustic guitars. i don't know why they don't.

I'm not sure acoustic amps would help. Most of those I've played through sound pretty abysmal. Best electrified acoustic sound I've ever gotten was with a crummy solid state Crate amp or through a di box straight to the board. I'm sure there's other challenges when trying to get it out to 20k people. I think more often than not it's too dry of a sound. There needs to be more depth or character added to it.

I always thought the Stone Strat with the Fishman bridge sounded the best.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live