Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post subject: Acoustic guitars
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:10 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Pearl Jam has many songs using this weird instrument (an acoustic guitar) yet they seem not to care about it sounding good at all. I don't think it's a playing issue and i know it's not easy to make it sound as rich as it is and should in an arena setting but seriously, don't you guys think that since PJ is a guitar-based band and uses the acoustic one on so many songs that they should make an effort to improve its live sound? most of the time it sounds as if they're playing on a just newly-stringed guitar stuffed with foam. it's miles away from what an acoustic guitar should sound.
thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Acoustic guitars
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mastaflatch wrote:
Pearl Jam has many songs using this weird instrument (an acoustic guitar) yet they seem not to care about it sounding good at all. I don't think it's a playing issue and i know it's not easy to make it sound as rich as it is and should in an arena setting but seriously, don't you guys think that since PJ is a guitar-based band and uses the acoustic one on so many songs that they should make an effort to improve its live sound? most of the time it sounds as if they're playing on a just newly-stringed guitar stuffed with foam. it's miles away from what an acoustic guitar should sound.
thoughts?

My thought is I never noticed, and I'm glad I don't have to pay attention whether it sounds like what it "should", because what I do notice, is that it sounds good.

Maybe PJ instead tries hard to NOT make it sound like what an acoustic guitar sound should sound like.

and for that I am glad. Because when they play acoustic it sounds like a Pearl Jam song and not like some kind of form over matter way of thinking slavery to the instrument rather than slave to the song.

They put the song before anything, and THAT is the way it should sound.

thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:43 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

knee tunes wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
thoughts?

My thought is I never noticed, and I'm glad I don't have to pay attention whether it sounds like what it "should", because what I do notice, is that it sounds good.

Maybe PJ instead tries hard to NOT make it sound like what an acoustic guitar sound should sound like.

and for that I am glad. Because when they play acoustic it sounds like a Pearl Jam song and not like some kind of form over matter way of thinking slavery to the instrument rather than slave to the song.

They put the song before anything, and THAT is the way it should sound.

thank you.

that's a sensible post and thanks for it. what i haven't included in the OP is the fact that their acoustic guitars sound mostly awesome on studio recordings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:51 am 
Coast to Coast

Could you provide some examples? I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:52 am 
Coast to Coast

And before you clarified that your critique was about live performances, I was going to say that I love the way the guitars sound in "Strangest Tribe".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:04 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Strangest Tribe is one of their warmest songs.

and here's NAIS:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 am 
Coast to Coast

Yeah, I really don't like how Stone's guitar sounds there. It's all over Benaroya, too. Kinda clangy and thuddy and metallic. But that's not really an acoustic, is it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:09 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Stone uses an acoustic pedal for NAIS he only started using actual acoustics the last two tours i think?

they sound infinitely better than that pedal ever did.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Yeah, I really don't like how Stone's guitar sounds there. It's all over Benaroya, too. Kinda clangy and thuddy and metallic. But that's not really an acoustic, is it?

i don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:35 am 
Bootleg Artist

On the new Vancouver boot, Stone starts off Pilate with a nice warm electric tone and then switches the pedal to faux-acoustic about 15 seconds in - from then on I find his strumming really grating and almost painful to listen to with headphones - anyone else notice this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:41 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Stone has used an acoustic pedal for years, particularly for Daughter and NAIS. I don't mind the sound but it isn't a classic acoustic sound.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:15 pm 
Force of Nature

I've noticed that too. It almost sounds like an acoustic guitar with the sound hole covered with cloth. Of course I may just have had my ears spoiled by the masters of grunge acoustic guitars, Alice in Chains.

But I dont find it unlistenable at all. It's a bit twangy but it's listenable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Tig wrote:
I've noticed that too. It almost sounds like an acoustic guitar with the sound hole covered with cloth. Of course I may just have had my ears spoiled by the masters of grunge acoustic guitars, Alice in Chains.

But I dont find it unlistenable at all. It's a bit twangy but it's listenable.

it's definitely listenable. i'm just a disappointed that they (PJ) think it's good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mastaflatch wrote:
it's definitely listenable. i'm just a disappointed that they (PJ) think it's good enough.

musical sounds & the mix of a song and amp settings, instrument tones, etc. --I'm sure the band has their listen & say in the matter and that things are the way they want them.

By saying that "they think its good enough" makes it sound as if they are taking a short cut, or not putting in their "best effort" or whatever. I'm thinking its probably alot more likely that the sound is exactly the way they want it rather than it being a result of the band the cutting corners, or settling for something thats just "good enough"...don't ya think?

Is that what you're saying, that they're "settling" for a certain sound just because it's "good enough" and they might not feel like trying harder?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

yeah, that's what i'm saying and that's what i presume. i'm aware that acoustic guitars are a bitch to mike properly live with feedback issues etc. but it's possible to have a richer tone that what PJ usually gets. maybe they just don't care that much? even when they did Mother on TV, Stone's guitar sounded like shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mastaflatch wrote:
yeah, that's what i'm saying and that's what i presume. i'm aware that acoustic guitars are a bitch to mike properly live with feedback issues etc. but it's possible to have a richer tone that what PJ usually gets. maybe they just don't care that much? even when they did Mother on TV, Stone's guitar sounded like shit.

If those :censored:s are really cuttin' corners or aren't checking the sound fully or/and properly, or have become lax, then this is a whole other issue.

I say we write them a letter asking them if they are even aware of this issue.

Mother shouldn't be dissed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:06 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

who of us two should write the letter?

:?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:18 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mastaflatch wrote:
who of us two should write the letter?

:?

I could write it. You could tell me if its written diplomatically enough.

Do you know where I could send it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:19 am 
Coast to Coast

stone@pearljam.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live