Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post subject: Re: 2012-11-4: Phoenix, AZ: Comerica Theater (Ed Solo)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:24 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

G dangit 10c. Not broadcasting tonight's show now. Vegas instead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 pm 
Got Some

62strat wrote:

Aren't you there? Whatcha bitchin' 'bout?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 pm 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:14 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

turned2black wrote:
62strat wrote:

Aren't you there? Whatcha bitchin' 'bout?

Correct but I was looking forward to having an excellent copy of the show. Also I'm hungover as fuck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:23 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Poster for this one is a beauty. Love to see it under UV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 am 
Got Some

:?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:13 pm 
AnalLog

so we have a pic of the poser but no setlist?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 pm 
Got Some

That was a lot of fun. A lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:16 pm 
Got Some

warehouse wrote:
so we have a pic of the poser but no setlist?

To the best of my memory (edit: good chance I am either missing something or getting something out of order or ... am just otherwise wrong):

Elderly Woman
(Brain Damage)
Sometimes
Can't Keep
Sleeping By Myself
Without You
You're True
Light Today
(Story about recording the waves that play behind LT)
Millworker
Just Breathe
(tease of Willie Nelson's version of the song)
(Long story about river guide when he rafted the Colorado with Sean Penn. he invites the guide from that trip who is at the show up onto the stage by a little "campfire" they have.)
Far Behind
Guaranteed
Long Nights w/ Glen
Rise
Betterman (lullabye)
Unthought Known
Masters of War
Porch

Encore:
Wishlist
(long story about being stuck in Gila Bend for over a week as a teenager)
Open All Night
Society *
Sleepless Nights *
Falling Slowly *
Arc
(curtain down, half the crowd left)
Rocking in the Free World
Hard Sun

Nothing out of the ordinary I guess, but damn can he put on a show.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm 
On the bright side

From the Pit:

01. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

(Ed briefly mentions the first time he played Phoenix in 1991 and the last time in 2003. He comments that it has been too long. He thanks them for being able to come to the show even though it had moved from it’s original date several months ago)

02. Brain Damage-(Waters)
03. Sometimes
04. Can’t Keep
05. Sleeping By Myself
06. Without You

(Ed talks about the ukulele being a naturally happy sounding instrument. When he got into the ukulele he was at the lowest point in his adult life. At first he wanted to destroy the “happy sounding” instrument. He let the uke sit for a few days and then decided he would bring it down to his level and wrote some of the saddest songs he could. He says the next song is not one of the sad songs but a happy one. “I gave one back to the uke, and I had also met a wonderful girl.”)

07. You’re True (towards the end of the song says, “at this point the couple had been together for about ten years, had a couple of kids and were going to get married, taking it slow you know...”)

08. Light Today

(Ed tells the story about staying up late in one beautiful, clear night with a bright full moon. All of his friends and family were asleep but he wanted to enjoy the evening. He took his portable recorder and walked to the beach while recording the sound of the waves that are used during the song “Light Today”. He talks about how beautiful and peaceful the evening was and great the recording came out but he goes on to say that if “you listen to the whole tape you can hear these great waves and I am walking back to the house and I took a different path that was mostly sticker bushes so towards the end of the you can hear me saying ‘fuck, ow, fuck fuck ow fuck’ as I walk back to the house.”)

09. Millworker (Taylor)

(Ed talks about good kids coming from good parents and parents in general. He mentions that he never got me meet his dad but when hanging out in a jazz club in Mesa he met a guy playing with the band who was a friend of Ed’s father. Ed goes on to say that he never got to play music for his dad but he does get to play music for his dad’s best friend. He then asks the man (Danny Jones?) to stand up. He says Danny is a great dad as well.)

10. Just Breathe (Ed asks the audience if they have heard the Willie Nelson version and proceeds to sing the song the way Willie does. Ed says “I probably know Willie’s version better than my own by now)

(Ed talks about rafting with Sean Penn after shooting the film “Into The Wild”. Brian is in the audience and Ed invites him up to look at the campfire he has on stage. Brian stays on stage while the next songs are played)

11. Far Behind
12. Guaranteed
13. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard

(Ed talks about back packing with Brian and Sean Penn a bit more and mentions what a hero Penn is for everything he is doing in Haiti. He suggests people check out what they can do to help Haiti.
http://jphro.org )

14. Rise (Brian leaves the stage)
15. Better Man (hi string guitar version)
16. Masters Of War-(Dylan)

(Ed says the political process is making him physically sick. He talks about how great the country could be if we just got “the right people out of the way and let the country run the way it should”)

17. Unthought Known
18. Porch

Encore Break 1

19. Wishlist
20. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Hannan)
21. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Bryant, Bryant) {performed normally WITH mics and PA]
22. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglova)

(Ed tells a story about being stuck in Gila Bend. A person in the audience shouts at Ed continuously even claiming to be the “Tom” of the story. Ed says if you get a chance stop by and see if Tom and Ava are still around)

23. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
24. Arc

Encore Break 2

25. Rockin’ In The Free World w/ Glen Hansard-(Young)
26. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard-(Petersong)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm 
Got Some

Rebar wrote:
From the Pit:

01. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

(Ed briefly mentions the first time he played Phoenix in 1991 and the last time in 2003. He comments that it has been too long. He thanks them for being able to come to the show even though it had moved from it’s original date several months ago)

02. Brain Damage-(Waters)
03. Sometimes
04. Can’t Keep
05. Sleeping By Myself
06. Without You

(Ed talks about the ukulele being a naturally happy sounding instrument. When he got into the ukulele he was at the lowest point in his adult life. At first he wanted to destroy the “happy sounding” instrument. He let the uke sit for a few days and then decided he would bring it down to his level and wrote some of the saddest songs he could. He says the next song is not one of the sad songs but a happy one. “I gave one back to the uke, and I had also met a wonderful girl.”)

07. You’re True (towards the end of the song says, “at this point the couple had been together for about ten years, had a couple of kids and were going to get married, taking it slow you know...”)

08. Light Today

(Ed tells the story about staying up late in one beautiful, clear night with a bright full moon. All of his friends and family were asleep but he wanted to enjoy the evening. He took his portable recorder and walked to the beach while recording the sound of the waves that are used during the song “Light Today”. He talks about how beautiful and peaceful the evening was and great the recording came out but he goes on to say that if “you listen to the whole tape you can hear these great waves and I am walking back to the house and I took a different path that was mostly sticker bushes so towards the end of the you can hear me saying ‘fuck, ow, fuck fuck ow fuck’ as I walk back to the house.”)

09. Millworker (Taylor)

(Ed talks about good kids coming from good parents and parents in general. He mentions that he never got me meet his dad but when hanging out in a jazz club in Mesa he met a guy playing with the band who was a friend of Ed’s father. Ed goes on to say that he never got to play music for his dad but he does get to play music for his dad’s best friend. He then asks the man (Danny Jones?) to stand up. He says Danny is a great dad as well.)

10. Just Breathe (Ed asks the audience if they have heard the Willie Nelson version and proceeds to sing the song the way Willie does. Ed says “I probably know Willie’s version better than my own by now)

(Ed talks about rafting with Sean Penn after shooting the film “Into The Wild”. Brian is in the audience and Ed invites him up to look at the campfire he has on stage. Brian stays on stage while the next songs are played)

11. Far Behind
12. Guaranteed
13. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard

(Ed talks about back packing with Brian and Sean Penn a bit more and mentions what a hero Penn is for everything he is doing in Haiti. He suggests people check out what they can do to help Haiti.
http://jphro.org )

14. Rise (Brian leaves the stage)
15. Better Man (hi string guitar version)
16. Masters Of War-(Dylan)

(Ed says the political process is making him physically sick. He talks about how great the country could be if we just got “the right people out of the way and let the country run the way it should”)

17. Unthought Known
18. Porch

Encore Break 1

19. Wishlist
20. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Hannan)
21. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Bryant, Bryant) {performed normally WITH mics and PA]
22. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglova)

(Ed tells a story about being stuck in Gila Bend. A person in the audience shouts at Ed continuously even claiming to be the “Tom” of the story. Ed says if you get a chance stop by and see if Tom and Ava are still around)

23. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
24. Arc

Encore Break 2

25. Rockin’ In The Free World w/ Glen Hansard-(Young)
26. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard-(Petersong)

It was "Tom and Avis" from Gila Bend, but yeah that's about right. Ed asked the guy shouting in the audience what his wife's name was. Guy tried, "Jolene." Ed thought it was a good try.

Gila Bend is hell now, can't imagine how bad it was 25 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Most importantly the story about Sean penn was him shitting in a can...

Really great show. Ed sounds so fantastic in this setting. You can really hear how special his voice is in an acoustic setting. Masters if ear was great except for a couple botched verses. Got a couple nice vocal growles.

I love the uke songs. What a special little record that is. RITFW was great too. He sings it much better when he's playing it on guitar. Open all night was maybe my fav.

Ed and glen sound amazing together. Met a cool little punk rock chick at the bar Friday night who ended up taking my extra ticket. She was pretty blown away at the show by Ed's voice and talent. Glen too.

I came down with a nice bout of food poisoning or something and was puking most of the evening in the theaters bathroom up through some of glens set. Fucking sucked and thought I was going to have to go home and miss the show. Pulled it together just barely enough to make it through. Glad I did!

Some weird fucking people in our section. Some older chick was on something or just super drunk and annoying everyone by dancing and yelling anything that came into her head. I wanted to launch her. Then some other obnoxious folks talking and yelling. A case of the white trash maybe.

All in all an excellent show. Good on ya Ed,...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

62strat wrote:

I came down with a nice bout of food poisoning or something and was puking most of the evening in the theaters bathroom up through some of glens set. Fucking sucked and thought I was going to have to go home and miss the show. Pulled it together just barely enough to make it through. Glad I did!

I WILL NOT eat much of anything the day of concerts for this reason...
which gets pretty tough at all day festivals like Summerfest in Milwaukee with all their great food... but im their for music, not food.

Really having PJ withdrawls this week :( its been over a year since my last PJ/EV show
and I cant afford to go see RNDM in a few weeks damn it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 pm 
AnalLog

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
62strat wrote:

really? you must get shitfaced

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:16 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

warehouse wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
62strat wrote:

really? you must get shitfaced

yeah, because running to the can every ten mins to drain out 10$ cans of beer is such a good time? not to mention I dont even drink alcohol.

back at Lollapalooza, we had a group of people standing around, Al went for a beer run right after MMJ's set... my friend went with Al... my friend got back before PJ's set... Al got lost in the crowd and we never saw Al again... and the guy who was with Al left during the 2nd encore as Al was his ride...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22 pm 
AnalLog

every 10 mins? i usualy piss once during pj shows, the fixer is usually the time.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live