Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post subject: 2012-07-30: London, UK: HMV Apollo Hammersmith (Ed Solo)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Post subject: Re: 2012-07-30: London, UK: HMV Apollo Hammersmith (Ed Solo)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:47 pm 
Force of Nature

Very nice venue, was here a month ago for Jay & Silent Bob Get Old.
Happy to be in attendance at this one

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:11 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Tickets just arrived for night 2 (31/7) 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:34 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Is there a thread for tonight. I'm here now. L

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

leopold wrote:
Is there a thread for tonight. I'm here now. L

Daltrey just came on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:09 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Neil Finn, Daltrey amd Eddies daughter guest appearances. Unamplified version of sleepless nights. Awesome. Also masters of war and Long nights. Great show amd great audience.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Holy fuckballs batman that was amazing. Incredible show. George came out and whispered in eds ear. He suddenly goes all schoolgirl and runs offstage and brings back Roger Daltrey. arrived outta nowhere. It was magic the whole night. We said Amsterdam couldn't beaten, well it just was. So much fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 am 
Spacegirl

did roger sing?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Eddie Vedder
Hammersmith Apollo
London, UK
July 31, 2012
Show Two Set List

01. Sometimes
02. Picture In A Frame-(Kathleen Brennan/Tom Waits)
03. Just Breathe
(Ed talks about Willie Nelson's great cover "Just Breathe" and how Willie's vocal style is all Ed can hear now while he sings the song. He also talks about what an underrated background singer and singer in general Matt Cameron is. He mentions having to correct a line Matt was singing that dramatically changed the meaning of the song.)
04. Thumbing My Way
(Ed wordlessly holds up his ukulele that has 'Clarence', (for Clarence Clemons) written on it and the audience cheers)
05. Can't Keep
06. Without You
(Ed talks about the West Memphis Three and the influence on writing the song "Satellite" about the physical distance between his then girlfriend that was later to become his wife and the separation between Damien Echols and his wife Lorri.)
07. Satellite
08. You're True
(Ed talks about a band called "Yeastie Girls" and recites part of one of their raps. He realizes his daughters are at the show tonight and regrets that he is going to have to explain the rap. He then talks about Russian band "Pussy Riot' being imprisoned and reads a petition asking that Prime Minister Putin let the band free.)
Amnesty International: http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset ... 012en.html

09. Driftin'
10. Unthought Known
11. No Ceiling
12. Far Behind
(Ed tells a story about the time he almost accidentally killed The Kings Of Leon while skeet shooting. He then talks about not understanding how shooting is an Olympic sport but isn't surprised that the Americans are winning at it.)
13. Guaranteed
(Ed mentions that PIL have a song called "Rise" as well and that he recently spotted John Lydon in an airport but of all the words you could use to describe John like, singer, punk rock archetype and genius, approachable might not be the most obvious especially at an airport but Ed had met John before several years ago so he went up to him and said hello. John smiled, threw open his arms and said "Eddie". Ed said it was as exciting as catching a big wave)
14. Rise (Dedicated to John Lydon)
15. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard
(Ed's daughter Olivia brings out a guitar for her dad. Ed talks about his recently passed friend Dennis Flemion from the band "The Frogs". He quotes one of their songs and realizes he will have more explaining to do to his daughters. He talks about Dennis' life and family and dedicates the next song to him)
16. Man Of The Hour-(dedicated to Dennis Flemion)
17. Masters Of War-(Dylan)
18. Porch
Encore Break 1
(Ed thanks the crowd. Talks about the building and all the friends he didn't know he had in London. He then holds up a copy of The Who's "Quadrophenia" and talks about how much the album means to him. He talks about the picture inside that shows the Hammersmith.)
19. I'm One-(Townshend)
20. Parting Ways
21. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Jerry Hannan)
22. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant) [performed without mics or PA]
23. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglová)
24. Throw Your Arms Around Me w/ Neil Finn-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Mills, Seymour, Smith, Waters) {Hunters & Collectors}
25. Blue, Red and Grey w/ Roger Daltrey singing and playing ukulele-(Townshend)
26. Naked Eye w/ Roger Daltrey-(Townshend)
Encore Break 2
(Ed mentions the hard working athletes of the Olympics and then holds up a gift from Zack Starkey which Ed describes as his gold medal. A large target that The Who often used as a symbol. Ed's daughter Harper hits the play button to start the tape for 'Hard Sun'
27. Hard Sun w/ Neil Finn, Elroy Finn, Myles Robinson(sp), Glen Hansard and others-(Peterson)
28. So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star w/ Neil Finn, Elroy Finn, Glen Hansard, Miles Robinson(sp)-(Hillman. McGuinn)
29. Dream A Little Dream-(Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt, Fabian Andree

Glen Hansard Set List
01. Love Don't Leave Me Waiting/Respect-(Redding)
02. Low Rising
03. In These Arms
04. High Hopes
05. Rise (The Frames/Glen Hansard)
06. Astral Weeks-(Van Morrison)/Smile-(Ament, Vedder)
07. Devil Town-(Johnston) [performed a cappella with Glen and the audience snapping their fingers and singing]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Ridiculously good show. Thanks for posting the setlist. My mate said it was the best show he's ever been to. I haven't looked at any of the other setlists yet from this tour as I wanted it to be a surprise.

The main set was great. When Neil Finn came out I thought that is just icing on the cake. When Roger came out I stopped thinking. The crowd was really good as well. Only one shout out for Daughter and kept quiet for most of the songs. Big sing along for Porch. The Uke songs sounded really good.

The Quadrophenia talk was really nice and the version of One was great. I had been talking about that song before the show so was great to hear it. Ed's impression of Willie Nelson was perfect. The Matt anecdote was along the lines that Matt thought it was "if I did then I'm a fool you see" (in Just Breathe) - Ed said "that's a whole other song".

Roger Daltrey's voice is absolutely phenomenal - to come out like that with little warm up and sing like he did at his age was nothing other than astounding.

BTW - anyone know what he played night one??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Night one. Still brilliant but nowhere as good as last night.

Eddie Vedder
Hammersmith Apollo
London, UK
July 30, 2012
Show One Set List

01. Walking The Cow-(Daniel Johnston)
(Ed starts "Trouble" but stops immediately. He talks about a prank he used to pull that involved flashlights and smacking a friend with a pillow. He says that all the flashes from cameras feel like that prank is being pulled on him. He offers to make all the faces he is going to make for five seconds while people take pictures in the hopes that the flashes will stop after that.)
02. Trouble-(Yusuf Islam)
03. Can't Keep
04. Sleeping By Myself
05. Without You
(Ed talks about the venue and all the great bands that have played here and how he never imagined he would see the place let alone play it. He has the lighting mixer turn up the house lights so he can see it better. He remarks that with all of the flags in the audience it looks a lot like The Olympics, except the seats are full here)
06. More Than You Know-(Rose, Eliscu, Youmans)
(A very young girl brings out a Ukulele for Ed. He comments that child labor laws in England must be lax. He then thanks Harper for bringing him the instrument)
07. Broken Heart (played on an old electric ukulele)
08. I Am Mine
09. Brain Damage-(Waters)
10. Dead Man
(Ed tells a story about an older gentleman that worked at tiny grocery on a small island. Lester would be gone from the grocery for several weeks and when Ed asked him where he had been Lester would say he had been to Switzerland or some other distant place. Ed later found out that "Lester the Traveller" hadn't left the island in 30 years. Ed would still ask Lester where he had been traveling.)
11. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
12. Setting Forth
13. Far Behind
14. Guaranteed
15. Rise
16. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard
17. Good Woman-(Chan Marshall)
(Ed's other daughter Olivia brings out a guitar for him. He jokes that if another young girl brings out a guitar he is going to be confused because he only has two daughters)
18. Better Man (high string version)
(Ed talks about being asked to perform this song for "I Am Sam". He describes how he went about investigating the song and what he learned about how it may have been written)
19. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
20. Lukin
21. Porch
Encore Break 1
(Ed tells a story that ranges from him reading an article about corn communicating with other plants with audible clicks, to a friend that liked to make hallucinogenic tea that would make you think plants had eyes, could see and communicate with you. This eventually leads to Ed living on a small island alone and naming plants and trying to communicate with them. When a palm tree drops a coconut at his feet he likes to think the tree was offering him sustenance but admits it could have been trying to kill him)
22. Unthought Known
23. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Jerry Hannan)
24. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant) [played at the edge of the stage with no mics or PA)
25. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglová)
26. Open All Night-(Bruce Springsteen)
27. The End
28. Arc
Encore Break 2
29. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard-(Peterson)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Thanks a lot - quite a different list - quite a few on there, particularly in the main set, that I would have liked (Trouble, Dead Man, I Am Mine, Setting Forth, Lukin, Betterman (hs), YGTHYLA, The End, Arc, Open All Night), but I don't think I would trade the thing as a whole and the night II encore definitely owns this (and Masters of War was worth the price of the ticket alone - nailed the lyrics).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:15 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Devil Town is a nice little addition.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ed should do evil town.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live