Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-09-02: Made in America Festival: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:56 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I wonder what it is about Jay-Z that would cause him to be the only rapper whose music one would respect. He has some major talents, but it seems like anything one might object to in rap music would be out in droves on any Jay-Z album save for maybe his debut, but even that has its moments. Kanye even more so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 am 
Force of Nature

Jay-Z wrote:
Now once upon a time not too long ago
A nigga like myself had to strong arm a hoe
This is not a hoe in the sense of having a pussy
But a pussy having no God Damn sense, try and push me
I tried to ignore him and talk to the Lord
Pray for him, cause some fools just love to perform
You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight
The only thing that's gonna happen is i'mma get to clapping
He and his boys gon' be yapping to the captain
And there I go trapped in the kit kat again
Back through the system with the riff raff again
Fiends on the floor scratching again
Paparazzi's with they cameras snapping them
D.A. tried to give the nigga the shaft again
Half-a-mil for bail cause I'm African
All because this fool was harrassin' them
Trying to play the boy like hes saccarin
But ain't nothing sweet 'bout how I hold my gun
I got 99 problems but being a bitch ain't one
Hit me

Those lyrics are terrible. Really.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:34 am 
Spacegirl

broken iris wrote:
¡B! wrote:

Interesting choice for collaboration by the band that covered Leavin' Here and wrote Daughter. Imjustsayin.

I noticed this as well. After a 45 minute set filled with 'fuck' and 'naggers' by Odd Future and basically the same thing from Drake, I was kinda wondering what PJ must thinking about playing after that... but then I remembered that photostop of Eddie stage diving into Scrooge McDuck's money bin.

Does this really exist? :haha:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:48 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dumbcharger wrote:

Have you heard the song, dumbcharger? The original, I mean, not the Pearl Jam collaboration, where the lyrics fly by less audibly. I'm not trying to indict you--I'm genuinely curious. In my experience, rap lyrics, more so than any other lyrics, almost always come across as utterly dreadful in print, in part because those who transcribe them (a) always go for authenticity and transcribe the dialect as well as the actual words, and (b) never ever ever convey the line breaks, the punctuation, the mechanics of articulation, etc. that are significantly more crucial to rap than other types of music. I agree that those words don't read well on the screen, but on the recording there is a phonetic power to them; "99 Problems" is one of Jay's most authoritarian performances, and that big dumb backbeat just crams those words down your throat and into your chest. It's a behemoth of a song.

Maybe the only other Jay tune I would have liked to see Pearl Jam try would be "The Takeover," from the first Blueprint album. Hearing them try to figure out how to replicate Kanye's spliced riffery from the Doors' "Five to One" solo could have been a victory of novelty on par with Philly's "Bugs," though the performance itself probably would have been an anticlimax as none of the rappers that Jay implicates in the song as fellow kings of the 2001 Roc-A-Fella empire mean shit anymore. Either way, that dinky Ray Manzarek riff is exactly the kind of corny effect that Boom would be perfectly suited to imitating. So I'm crossing my fingers for a joint tour and future collaborations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:56 am 
Banned from the Pit

dumbcharger wrote:
Jay-Z wrote:
Now once upon a time not too long ago
A nigga like myself had to strong arm a hoe
This is not a hoe in the sense of having a pussy
But a pussy having no God Damn sense, try and push me
I tried to ignore him and talk to the Lord
Pray for him, cause some fools just love to perform
You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight
The only thing that's gonna happen is i'mma get to clapping
He and his boys gon' be yapping to the captain
And there I go trapped in the kit kat again
Back through the system with the riff raff again
Fiends on the floor scratching again
Paparazzi's with they cameras snapping them
D.A. tried to give the nigga the shaft again
Half-a-mil for bail cause I'm African
All because this fool was harrassin' them
Trying to play the boy like hes saccarin
But ain't nothing sweet 'bout how I hold my gun
I got 99 problems but being a bitch ain't one
Hit me

WHAT, that's some serious street poetry! Psyche just kidding I'm not a rap fan and never will be. I'll stick with Vedder!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:41 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'm holding out for the Riff Raff colabo

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:41 am 
Banned from the Pit

Speaking of bitches and hoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfd2Z1KkjdI

Post subject: vaporizer zephyr ion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:09 am 
Spambot

We always came back to the same answer: Take to person officers of medical T something Dispensaries Online Support - There are many forums and places on the others Marijuana the for the brain tumors known as glioblastomas. click here ploom pax vaporizer lightning

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 pm 
Master of Meh

Gems and Rhinestones wrote:
I'm not a rap fan and never will be. I'll stick with Vedder!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:
it was pretty damn awesome for a number of reasons. first probably being the actual music of the whole thing. they played a badass full version of WMA, bring Jay Z out for 99 problems, then go right into free world. 99 problems sounded tight, and i liked ed screwing around on w the ebow. the songs are sorta similar in subject matter too. the "wow factor" is also part of it. who ever thought pearl jam and jay z would play together?

It was very much in the musical cross-cultural spirit of the event. There were so many missed opportunities for collaborations here (why did Drake use a pre-recorded Rihanna when Jill Scott, arguably a better singer than Rihanna, was available? Eddie or Stone could have replaced the taped version of Steven Tyler in RUN DMC's set easily), I am glad at least one got attempted and frankly they knocked it out of the park.

Also, I am no PJ scholar, but a quick run through StatTracker suggests this may have been the first time hip-hop made it into a PJ set, not counting a few lines from F**k the Police back in 1992 and the rumored Judgement Night after-party performance. That in itself makes this something special. Not particularly original or innovative, but in the context of PJ live, a unique and cool footnote in a storied concert history.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm 
On the bright side

Skitch Patterson, your rebuttal?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:33 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I bet B took his wife's last name.

:oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:49 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Defensive fans are defensive.

Anyway, this was pretty cool, regardless of how many groups have acted as Jigga's backing band in the last decade. I like the "WMA" bassline under Jay Z's rap.

the bassline was great...also Stone smile at the end...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/made-in-america-festival-20120902/jay-z-and-stone-0699160

Stone was my first thought when I heard about this. I know he loves hip-hop.

I just watched the performance and thought it was awesome. I'm glad Pearl Jam is willing to do things like this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:06 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
That one collaboration's really cool, but I dunno if it would have been worth $100 and a fairly stock festival setlist to see it. I'd almost rather hit up Atlanta and pray for a PJ/Foo Fighters thing at the end of Music Midtown.

09/02/12: Made in America Festival, Benjamin Franlin Parkway, Philadelphia, PA
main set: Go, Corduroy, Save You, Given to Fly, Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Unemployable, Even Flow, Got Some, Daughter/(Blitzkrieg Bop), Unthought Known, Fixer, Nothingman, Do the Evolution, Jeremy, Know Your Rights, Rearviewmirror
first encore: Love Reign O’er Me, Spin The Black Circle, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Comatose, Black, Alive, W.M.A. -> 99 Problems, Rockin’ in the Free World

That setlist looks perfect to me. Festival or mid tour, that is a great setlist. You might just be stuck in complain mode with this band.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:11 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Hatfield wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
That one collaboration's really cool, but I dunno if it would have been worth $100 and a fairly stock festival setlist to see it. I'd almost rather hit up Atlanta and pray for a PJ/Foo Fighters thing at the end of Music Midtown.

09/02/12: Made in America Festival, Benjamin Franlin Parkway, Philadelphia, PA
main set: Go, Corduroy, Save You, Given to Fly, Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Unemployable, Even Flow, Got Some, Daughter/(Blitzkrieg Bop), Unthought Known, Fixer, Nothingman, Do the Evolution, Jeremy, Know Your Rights, Rearviewmirror
first encore: Love Reign O’er Me, Spin The Black Circle, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Comatose, Black, Alive, W.M.A. -> 99 Problems, Rockin’ in the Free World

That setlist looks perfect to me. Festival or mid tour, that is a great setlist. You might just be stuck in complain mode with this band.

Unemployable, Corduroy, Evolution, Know Your Rights, and Comatose make it a pretty good set for me. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:25 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Gems and Rhinestones wrote:

I kinda of remember Eddie singing "skinny little bitch" before anyway.

¡B! wrote:

And Courtney Love's Skinny Little Bitch is, what? an autobiographical self flogging via song? I'm not sure what it means for Ed to cover that.

warehouse wrote:
what do you think about eddie vedder using the word "bitch" to describe women in "satans bed"?

That's what I was asking, but somehow Courtney Love got involved in the discussion. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Let´s imagine Skitch responses with other pj live guests:

PJ + Leonard Cohen : boring.

PJ + Neil Young :another song from this old fucks?? mirrorball was better

PJ + The roots: that jay z song was way better

PJ + Cat Power : i dont like woman who sing.

PJ + Jimmy Page and Robert Plant : sad to see old people making music.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:16 pm 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

Unemployable, Corduroy, Evolution, Know Your Rights, and Comatose make it a pretty good set for me. :thumbsup:

I'm with RA25 on this one, I thought the setlist was predictable and not on par with the band's history in Philly. It was obviously tailored to fit the broader audience of the festival and hopefully they will change it up a bit for the shows on the third weekend of September, before giving us a real treat in Montana.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:28 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

broken iris wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

I'm with RA25 on this one, I thought the setlist was predictable and not on par with the band's history in Philly. It was obviously tailored to fit the broader audience of the festival and hopefully they will change it up a bit for the shows on the third weekend of September, before giving us a real treat in Montana.

Why would they change it up when playing a festival in a city they haven't played in 9 years? I think Ed will feel even more presure to "play the hits" in Atlanta.

Here is a typical Philly show:
05/27/06 – Tweeter Waterfront, Camden, NJ, USA
pre-set: Gone
set: Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, Do The Evolution, Animal, Severed Hand, Corduroy, Marker in the Sand, Given To Fly, Unemployable, Lukin -> Not For You/(Modern Girl), Daughter/(W.M.A), I Am Mine, Jeremy, Present Tense, Why Go, Porch
first encore: Better Man, Come Back, Elderly Woman, Last Kiss, Alive
second encore: State of Love and Trust, Blood, Even Flow, Comatose, Leash, Rockin’ in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter/(Star-Spangled Banner)

With the exception of 5 extra songs, is that so much better than Sunday night?

Post subject: Re: MADE IN AMERICA FESTIVAL - Philadelphia, September 1-2, 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 pm 
Got Some

warehouse wrote:
cant wait to see eddie guest on 99 problems

4th post of this thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live